skateboarding ...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:38 pm

love taking hills!
call me crazy but australia day last year= no cars on the street me and my mate took the hill that goes past freshie high, past dions and bennetts!
granted we used the skaties that had the slower bearings (reducing the speed damage if we came off) but yeh, that hill will prove your mettle.
Harbord Rd Hill, size it up and see if you'll do it! seen others do (attempt) it and been taken back up the hill by an ambulance so yeah its very dangerous!!!!
another warning do not do tow-ins on cars!!!!! or if you do make sure you have the right equipment!!! i was towed UP a hill at 60kph and the skatie just gave completely, bearings broke inside the wheel and i measeured scraping along the road for 15 metres, then up the side gutter and hitting a house fence (brick of course) VERY HARD. which resulted in all my left sides bark taken off (no shirt), concussion and a very sore jaw!
stick to carving up the pathways, or better yet...THE WAVES!!
peace

agc
regular

Post by agc » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:09 am

Freshie Boy wrote:love taking hills!
call me crazy but australia day last year= no cars on the street me and my mate took the hill that goes past freshie high, past dions and bennetts!
granted we used the skaties that had the slower bearings (reducing the speed damage if we came off) but yeh, that hill will prove your mettle.
Harbord Rd Hill, size it up and see if you'll do it! seen others do (attempt) it and been taken back up the hill by an ambulance so yeah its very dangerous!!!!
another warning do not do tow-ins on cars!!!!! or if you do make sure you have the right equipment!!! i was towed UP a hill at 60kph and the skatie just gave completely, bearings broke inside the wheel and i measeured scraping along the road for 15 metres, then up the side gutter and hitting a house fence (brick of course) VERY HARD. which resulted in all my left sides bark taken off (no shirt), concussion and a very sore jaw!
stick to carving up the pathways, or better yet...THE WAVES!!
peace

Yeah my mate was killed stitchin (being towed by a car) and lost control and came off his board... RIP.
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

Mick T

Post by Mick T » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 pm

Hey Pig Champion, where you been skating after dark?Ive come back after a long rest and started skating Wed nites with the MASH crew from www.charliedontskate.com.au .Unreal fun but always a fair drive from northern beaches.Looking for people closer to home to organise a nite session.As for helping my surfing I dunno if Im doing better floaters cos of the grinds or vice versa.The general idea of hanging up there for as long as possible has been reinforced. :D

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:32 pm

skating is sick i did it for many years up till about 17 - 18 became more focused on work surfing and footy. skating does take a massive toll on the ankles... i have many a scar from the hills of palmy and whalie!

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:40 pm

i dont skate to do tricks but i like to just cruise and go fast do some big turns and slides thats bout it..

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:17 pm

I went down to the local skate park at the local beach one afternoon just to check the surf and got into a long conversation with a bloke there my age (early 40's). He had spent about $400 on board and gear and was getting back into it after a 20 year gap. He was telling me that a lot of the clientele of the skate park are, ahem, mature aged fellows.

I rode a skateboard everywhere when young but could never afford the best ones. Eventually saved up for the trucks and old polyurethane wheels and made my own decks, which was pretty cool.
I got after the chicargo trucks wore out on the old one, brought a cheapy from K-mart for the deck and put my old school trucks on it. Goes like a beauty although my son and his mates have trouble with it since it actually turns and they think it is unstable.
Yeah, what is it with the modern skateboards? I have only had a few goes on the modern ones, but the ones I have tried are crap. The old ones that Clif and squid speak of were just so much better. The new ones hardly seem to turn. The old ones would skate rings around them.

Or is it just the case that you have to pay $500 to get one that turns, or is it that all these fancy tricks you can do on modern skateboards are at the expense of being able to turn the bloody thing.

Can't work that one out.

Would appreciate the lowdown from others as I am half-interested in getting back into it, even if only to kill time while I am looking after the little'uns. But if you can't really lay over on a turn then It's probably not for me. Flipping your board under your feet while you jump is pretty clever, but doesn't thrill me I'm afraid. I want some speed and flow and arcing turns please
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:21 pm

you have to wear in a set of trucks...or more appropriately the rubbers on them...

ever since the late '80's they were stiff when new...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

agc
regular

Post by agc » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:04 am

I like my trucks tight. The reason boards dont turn that well is either the trucks are done up tight or they are cheap peices of sh*t with the rubbers pretty much being plastic with no flex.

You get what you pay for, get decent trucks and wear them in.

I ride my trucks tight because when you do tricks you dont want the wheels to bite on the deck from flexing to much on the landing. If you just want to cruise the streets loosen them off.

You cant compare new boards to old single kick boards, back in the day you had cockroach wheels double the size of todays wheels, the boards were twice as thick too. That said i dont have any trouble flying down a street and zig zagging side to side, also love doing huge cess slides too. If you are confident in landing every trick properly and clean you dont need your trucks loose to compensate with the bad body/weight positioning and balance.

Skating has evolved so much and the stuff they are doing now was seen pretty much impossible back in the early 90's and before. Everything is just getting so much bigger and technical. I think you guys need to go out and buy a new skate dvd, youll be blown away. Flips to manuals to grinds then fliping back out again, its like the real life playstation tony hawks game!
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:38 am

agreed - loose trucks for cruisin'

but i like the trucks tight for big fast hills, reduces the chance of the death wobbles...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:30 am

if you want big carving turns you need to get yourself some RANDALL 180 TRUCKS ... mdae for insane turns ...

http://www.loosetrucks.com/index.asp?Pa ... &ProdID=47
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:32 am

not realy i have a decent pair of trucks but i have them to loose there about to fall off.

when i do a turn i only have 2 wheels on the ground :?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:01 pm

This was a news story from ABC's web site the other day.

California skateboarder Danny Way jumped over a 18.6-metre gap in the Great Wall of China, becoming the first person to clear the ancient fortification without motorised aid, his sponsor said.

Way then went on to jump the wall three more times on Saturday, taking off from a specially built ramp at the nearly 3,000-year-old Ju Yong Guan Gate and adding in 360-degree spins as spectators looked on.

"I was aware of the dangers and my heart was pumping in my chest the whole time, but I managed to pull it off with the help of my team and I'm honoured to have my visions embraced by the people of China," Way said in a statement.

Others have tried to jump the Great Wall before. In 2002, Wang Jiaxiong, a mountain biker, fractured his skull and died after overshooting his planned landing area. Way was the first person to try the jump on a skateboard.

Way already holds the world records for distance jumped by skateboard and for height at 24 metres and 7.1 metres, respectively.

Farrrrrrrr out................. :shock:

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:13 pm

see www.dannydoeschina.com - more impressive is the height he gets up the ramp on the other side after clearing the wall - doesnt stick any though.
the dreams that stuff was made of

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:39 pm

"California skateboarder Danny Way jumped over a 18.6-metre gap in the Great Wall of China, becoming the first person to clear the ancient fortification without motorised aid"

He did have a bloody big ramp though. [/quote]
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:20 pm

When I see the ramp
thats when I start to amp
I'm a teenage unit
I'm outta control
I dont fuck girls
I just grind the bowl

He he he

Been exploring the streets of my new suburb on the Sector 9. Very happy to find out that many of them behind my house are wide, hot mix affairs with plenty of incline and few cars.

Not quite 'grinding the bowl' but I'd forgotten how much fun it is to slalom down a good hill.