skateboarding ...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Re: skateboarding ...

Post by RickyG » Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 am

My son's skating obsession shows no sign of abating. By sheer chance the below skate comp was on right out front of the hotel we were staying in a Waikiki last week
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/article ... 018-video/

Apart from watching some great skating I got to see the likes of Steve Caballero, Mike Gonzalez and Christian Hosoi tearing it up (I kept leaning over to my son to tell him these guys were bg in the 80s :-D-: )

It also appears I'm about to build a small 1/2 pipe in my backyard for him and his mates to ride. Noone uses the back yard much and I'm happy to support him doing something physical for a change. I guess it'll cost less than my daughter's dance fees.
I keep telling him we never had any of this when I was a kid - no ramps (unless you built them), no skate parks, and noone's parent built or bought a ramp for the backyard :wink:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 pm

RickyG wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 am
My son's skating obsession shows no sign of abating. By sheer chance the below skate comp was on right out front of the hotel we were staying in a Waikiki last week

Apart from watching some great skating I got to see the likes of Steve Caballero, Mike Gonzalez and Christian Hosoi tearing it up (I kept leaning over to my son to tell him these guys were bg in the 80s :-D-: )

It also appears I'm about to build a small 1/2 pipe in my backyard for him and his mates to ride. Noone uses the back yard much and I'm happy to support him doing something physical for a change. I guess it'll cost less than my daughter's dance fees.
I keep telling him we never had any of this when I was a kid - no ramps (unless you built them), no skate parks, and noone's parent built or bought a ramp for the backyard :wink:
Looking at doing the same? Built from scratch or flat pack model?

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu May 03, 2018 12:59 pm

They give skate parks away in Nimbin.
https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/st ... te/659830/
Probably one of the best ever examples of wasting tax payer money.
No one realised that skate boards on metal ramps are loud and the sound echoed through the town, one end of the half pipe was about 4 metres away from the house next door.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu May 03, 2018 1:16 pm

channels wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 pm
RickyG wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:12 am

Looking at doing the same? Built from scratch or flat pack model?
From scratch I think. I've just been youtubing some videos and plans. I'm pretty handy with wood so it doesn't look too daunting - just time-consuming and I'm not sure how much I can rely on my son for help (however much he promises!).
andy2476 wrote:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 03, 2018 4:23 pm

I've seen a homemade one made by someone with average woodworking skills and it works fine

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri May 04, 2018 5:38 pm

i bought a longboard a couple of weeks ago and have been skating up and down the dead-end street in front of our place. feeling good! but now my crotch on my pushing leg side hurts like buggery. might have to give it a rest for a few days.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm

A strained groin is never fun
Erase.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 am

After a lot of dicking around and indecision I went into Basement Skate with my son yesterday and got myself an early fathers' day present.

So many old and new shapes and styles to choose from, but I couldn't pass up the classic shapes and artwork form the 80s 8)

Had a quick ride and it's smoooth
andy2476 wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am

Nice. Indy 169 trucks? What compound wheels did you go for?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am
Nice. Indy 169 trucks? What compound wheels did you go for?
Not sure to be honest. It was a stock complete and this option seems to have dropped off their website (or maybe I can't find it). Pretty sure the wheels are 60mm and at the softer end of the spectrum, maybe 80a?

You could really spend up big in there :-D-:
andy2476 wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am

80a is pretty soft and would be good for street, hotmix or rougher surfaces. but if you’re gonna skate bowls, particularly hard smooth concrete it might pay you to get a hard compound set also, like 98a or above.

Have you been to five dock bowls before?
Sniff wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am
80a is pretty soft and would be good for street, hotmix or rougher surfaces. but if you’re gonna skate bowls, particularly hard smooth concrete it might pay you to get a hard compound set also, like 98a or above.

Why the harder wheels on smooth concrete? My son ends up at a lot of polished concrete parks.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Hard wheels are quicker. Much quicker. Come off soft wheels and onto a set of 101 compound and you’ll feel like you’ve been on flat tyres beforehand.

Don’t go any bigger than a 60mm diameter, as while bigger wheels have a faster top (roll) speed they don’t accelerate as quick (which you need with bowl skating).
Sniff wrote:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:15 am

No I haven't. Might need to work up to that
andy2476 wrote:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 pm

Just took my son to his 2nd skate lesson, this time at Dulwich hill. Wow, what a set-up. I had a bad fall about a month ago where I landed on my tailbone. I've only just recovered and lost all my confidence :x
Anyway, my boy's learning heaps and loving it, and it's a bit of much-needed quality time for us.
We're off to five dock next week apparently
andy2476 wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:44 pm

/\ http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=p ... list&c=480

That snake run at Dulwich Hill is a stack of fun. You usually need to broom a few leaves out of it first though
Sniff wrote:

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 pm

RickyG wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 pm
Just took my son to his 2nd skate lesson, this time at Dulwich hill. Wow, what a set-up. I had a bad fall about a month ago where I landed on my tailbone. I've only just recovered and lost all my confidence :x
Anyway, my boy's learning heaps and loving it, and it's a bit of much-needed quality time for us.
Can you still drop in Ricky?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Kunji wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 pm
RickyG wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 pm
Can you still drop in Ricky?
No! I barely could back in the day. I'm trying to work up to it but that injury's really holding me back. I think cruising might be more my go
andy2476 wrote: