Just what are "Locals"

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:37 pm

HEY Moderator....the forum clock is one hour fast.
Blah Blah Blah

Tahn
Local

Post by Tahn » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:06 pm

schnorky wrote:HEY Moderator....the forum clock is one hour fast.
You can set a time offset in your profile.

porca
regular

Post by porca » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:49 am

A local is someone who does not live at Campbelltown, and does not have to drive down Bulli Pass!

BB

Post by BB » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:18 am

So BB are you telling us that "locals" have a right to drop in on you because they think they can?
No greygrom, just that they will 'cos they know they can......I mean how arrogant to turn up at a major surf spot and think you have as much right to a wave as the people who surf it all the time......you're a guest in their waves.....if you behave they might let you have a few, if you try to claim your "rights" you'll get nothing. Maybe not the way the world should be, but as I said before, just the way it happens to be.

DK Tim

Post by DK Tim » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:14 pm

BB Says:

"I mean how arrogant to turn up at a major surf spot and think you have as much right to a wave as the people who surf it all the time......you're a guest in their waves.....if you behave they might let you have a few, if you try to claim your "rights" you'll get nothing. Maybe not the way the world should be, but as I said before, just the way it happens to be"

Fair point but which side of that do you want to be on? Shouldn't you be out there changing it if you can see that its not how it should be?

BB

Post by BB » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:26 am

Yeh I should lead a campaign to change surfing culture.....I mean it's such a high priority item on the global scene and I have so much spare time. I don't think so! I'm just a realist when it comes to surfing, that's the way things work so I'll play along to make sure I get my share!

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:35 am

I mean how arrogant to turn up at a major surf spot and think you have as much right to a wave as the people who surf it all the time......you're a guest in their waves.....if you behave they might let you have a few
and then:
so I'll play along to make sure I get my share!

Hey BB - next time u head outside of the big smoke, to the Sth Coast make sure you have your head bowed, make sure you sit inside, and I might let you have a couple...Sounds fair!
If you are gonna apply that logic at your "home" break, you'd better make sure you play the game when you venture beyond!
the dreams that stuff was made of

BB

Post by BB » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:33 am

Always do. Paddle out and wait your turn. If a local is serious about a wave, they get it. Under most conditions once they see that you're respectful and can actually surf then they let you take a turn. The last bit is important though......if you can't actually surf at a good standard there are lots of places in and out of Sydney where you'll never get a fair suck of the sav!

JEEBUS
regular

Post by JEEBUS » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:41 pm

yes I posted a message earlier on in this topic BUT

EVERYONE GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!

ITS NOT YOUR OCEAN AND I CANT SEE YOUR NAME ON THE WAVE!!!

HE/SHE WHO GETS THE WAVE FIRST GETS THE WAVE AND THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!!!!

WOULD YOU ALL GROW UP!!!!!!

THANKS

JEEBUS (ex local)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:32 pm

Hey locals :D
How committed are you to your break and is it worth it?
Are you committed to a break that noone else will surf?
Is it because its too mean or too lame?
Thats a big difference :lol: .
Are you committed to a break that everyone surfs with hundreds of locals?
Half of which you regard as blow ins because they don't surf it when you do.
Go for change and adventure 8)

max
Grommet

Post by max » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Thankyou all,
So what I'm getting at is, if you were out the back having fun at "your break" and you saw Occhy or Sunny whoever drop into a nice one and absolutely rip it up..... would "you" being a "local" tell him to Eff Off and go back to wherever he came from??

Its all about respect for your fellow man

max
Grommet

Post by max » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:34 pm

and woman

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:13 am

u guys are all fools... we all know the true "locals" are those who have posted 400 odd posts on these forums
it even says it under johnos n wantos names :lol:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

What's a local?

Post by Shaunm » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:18 pm

Local doesn't mean you have to live on that beach anymore. If you've surfed every week winter and summer (especially midweek) and are accepted by the crew you are a local. Are the North Narra Boys and Bra boys gonna live with mum and dad until they're fifty waiting for the folks to die so they can keep the house????? I think not!!!! - chances are most of us wont be able to afford beachfront properties in Sydney.....further more if someone is a renter does that make them a local
Never confuse ambition with ability

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:07 pm

willie wrote:u guys are all fools... we all know the true "locals" are those who have posted 400 odd posts on these forums
it even says it under johnos n wantos names :lol:
i was gonna claim that too, but it was just too lame :lol:

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:51 pm

king of lame right here