take drugs before surfin?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

perfomance enhancers 4 a surf

i'll try anything once
32%
no, i surf soo good already
55%
i'm over 40 , will it react with the viragra tablets?
14%

Total votes: 22

agc
regular

Post by agc » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:06 pm

coke before a surf... thats where its at.
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

Jeb Bush

Post by Jeb Bush » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Meusli. Man that stuff fires me up.

mandoora

Post by mandoora » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Have used sudafed before a dive before... good to clear up the nose.. guess it could be usefull surfing too. Dunno about performance enhancing drugs though.. usually need a decent performance base to enhance :wink:

On the performance de-hancing side.. tried surfing a couple of times half baked... feels like I can't hold my breath, plus my coordination goes out the window... Tried once a little drunk, but was too clumsy and ended up sacking my balls and copping the board to the back of the head.

I'd rather enjoy the surf high on the joy of being out there and feel like I've accomplished something if I surf well... but if you find something that magically gives you mad skills then perhaps I'd come around :lol:

BB

Post by BB » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:34 am

Had a well known seventies pro offer me a line of coke before a heavy session once but I declined....however I did, once only, surf DOH Winki on acid. I got a few waves OK then got one of the best waves of my life, paddled back out, caught one that looked just the same, got smashed and destroyed my board on the rocks so I went and got another board out of the car paddled back out and did exactly the same thing again...two waves, two boards destrroyed, a head full of whatever.........I never did it again but a lot of people like a bong or two before they paddle out, I used to do it now and then but it never did much for my surfing, I'd just veg out in the line up!

Nugger
Grommet

Post by Nugger » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:41 am

New Years back in '98 was coming off a huge night of booze, mull and an E. Hit the cove at Coolum on first light still off mi chops. Was 5 ft and doing it and I ended up catching a bunch of screamers. Felt like I had energy to burn. One of the best sessions of my life and one I'll never forget. Now it's mostly straight surfs but occasionally a spliff beforehand. In quality clean waves I reckon it makes you surf better.
"Double your pleasure, double your funnn...."
The chief (RJ).

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:51 pm

if you need chemicals to have the best surf of ya life i feel sorry for you :?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:04 pm

Don't need the crap. Surfing in itself should be the fun.
I always make sure that I have had something to eat in the morning before I go out for the early just in case it's a long session.
As for blocked noses the salt water cures that - don't need sudafeds.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the pros take enhancers.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 pm

Depends on the time I'm surfing. Early = glass of water with lemon or lime in it.
Late morning = I'll probably have a tea/coffee first.

Caffeine. From a bean, not a tablet.

clownshoes
regular

Post by clownshoes » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 pm

glass of water with lemon or lime? that for the soul purpose of keeping up your water intake and additionally adding some flavour or some other odd reason that i cant quite work out?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:25 pm

Nah........................... would want to do something like that :wink:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Hay mossie much longger before you head off to the big blow hole.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:04 pm

This is a fricken HILARIOUS SUBJECT. God help all of us if A Current Affair finds out about surfers taking DRUGS.

I can personally attest to the effects of marijuana, LSD, cocaine, alcohol, psilocybin and amphetamines while surfing, and frankly, aside from acid, I found them all deeply disappointing. Marijuana confused me; I thought I would surf with some new, calm, profound inner knowledge, but instead I stopped caring whether or not I made the wave, then after a half hour or so, I'd get paranoid ("everyone's watching me fuck up!") and be forced to go home until I was straight. Cocaine produced in me delusions of grandeur and almost unbearable tension; I couldn't wait for a wave, but paddled around in circles like a madman, grinding my teeth and frothing for about 10 minutes until I was suddenly and mysteriously overcome by a desire to go and use some more cocaine. Alcohol caused me to fall off my board while paddling out. Psilocybin (hallucinogenic mushrooms) convinced me the surf was far better than it actually was, which sounds like a good thing except the conviction only lasted for five or 10 minutes at a time, alternating with long periods of helpless laughter and an inability to catch a wave of any kind. And speed, christ, let's not talk about speed.

LSD, on the other hand, I have only used on three or four occasions while surfing, and always in big, perfect and challenging surf, where its effects seemed if anything to mesh precisely with what the surf was causing me to feel -- a tremendous natural surge of stoke and energy, apprehension mixed with alertness, that kind of wild animal instinct you tend to get going when the surf's pushing your limits. I'd like to criticise it and say it's evil just for the sake of my kiddies but in all honesty I can't. But I'm not gonna do it again because I don't bloody trust it one bit. Like all drugs, you know that stuff could turn on you in a second.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:21 pm

Certainly thin the ranks at contests if the started doing drug tests :wink: :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Bit of Bex or Vincents :?:

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:04 pm

Lemon or lime with water in the is good for your liver and system in general, especially in the morning after you have fasted for a few hours. Don't really understand the mechanism of action but the missus is a naturopath and says so....so I humbly obey.

Nice to hear some of our more experienced colleagues delivering the benefits of their " learnings". :wink: