New layout

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

dilution

Post by dilution » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:32 pm

Longboarder wrote:Was this tim guy a professional developer? and if so why hasnt he implemented w3c standards?
Hey longboarder.
Work as a designer, not developer as such. Do plenty of web work, and pretty much try to work as close to W3C standards as I can. Having said that though, not everything is to standards that works on the web - so ??? depends what the criteria for the job is I guess. Give the best possible viewing pleasure to the most possible people!!!!

Any feedback on what anybody reckons could be done better - please feel free to post it here, or alternatively - [email protected]

Have a good one
Tim...
OFF the TOP

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Hey Tim, didn't mean to put ya down but as you prob know standards were implemented so all devices will be able to mark up the page. Whats the point in this age if you put your heart into designing when the page looks/ is unreadable on a pda or web enabled phone. I understand the majority of people who read the reports do it via a browser but soon enough more will prob access it through other devices, thus the most viewing might most people in this case may no longer apply and a redesign will be needed.

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:13 pm

Longboarder wrote:Hey Tim, didn't mean to put ya down but as you prob know standards were implemented so all devices will be able to mark up the page. Whats the point in this age if you put your heart into designing when the page looks/ is unreadable on a pda or web enabled phone. I understand the majority of people who read the reports do it via a browser but soon enough more will prob access it through other devices, thus the most viewing might most people in this case may no longer apply and a redesign will be needed.
:? :? Geek 8)

dilution

Post by dilution » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:22 pm

Longboarder wrote:Hey Tim, didn't mean to put ya down but as you prob know standards were implemented so all devices will be able to mark up the page. Whats the point in this age if you put your heart into designing when the page looks/ is unreadable on a pda or web enabled phone. I understand the majority of people who read the reports do it via a browser but soon enough more will prob access it through other devices, thus the most viewing might most people in this case may no longer apply and a redesign will be needed.
Yeah, no offence taken mate. Always on for suggestions - nobody is the same - and there';s lots to learn in this world.

Anyway, re: that stuff. What you're seeing here is an implementation of a lot of design meetings, trying to fit all the neccessary content into the right spots etc. Really, Don, Shari, Ross and myself have put together a new look page (which has a new php 'smarty' reporters function too), which will be implememented into a large CMS - XOOPS as the next stage. Without wiping my hands of what we've done - had a few late nights lately - this is a bit of a visuals change till we're ready with the far more advanced architecture which is Xoops. I'm certainly looking fwd to see what we can do with the next stage - I just picked up a 3g phone myself....

Anyway, keep the chat coming - it's all good. RS is a community of surfers - the more I know what my community wants, the more I put towards it.

have a good one
Tim...
OFF the TOP

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:50 pm

fong wrote:i think the new sites far better then the past but then again i'm just suxing up for a tide section like that u get in the newspapers, eg showing a graph of full tide movement over next couple days. and yer when realsurf crew have time winning lotto no's would help keep me style i'm accustomed :roll:
Lotto numbers! Now there's something that definitely never occured to me! :lol:

A few brief comments to add to Tim's remarks...

I'm keeping a list of all the to-do's still to be done on the site...

Among the many items are:

*see if there is any way we can alter the daily pic aspect ratio to something slightly more rectangular

*check about setting up a top of page link to Virtual buoys (gotta think it through in light of other plans)

*see if we can return the "Last updated at: 0000:00" status thingee

*Link to yesterday's report

*See if we can tweak the report display logic to show reports in location as well as time order (actually somewhat complicated)

*Look at W3C compliance issues

*establish location for Goat's forecast

*put guest reporter link on page

etc, etc :)

-Don

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:01 pm

Its great guys and congrats for the good effort...

No complaints at all!...

max
Grommet

Post by max » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:20 pm

Whats the website called? Reads like its "Australia's Leading Surf Report" the "Real Surf" logo looks like an ad.
Other way round fellas.
No need to blow your own trumpets.
Rest is nice though, although I keep trying to brush the sand off my monitor.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:06 pm

re the logo... that's kinda my fault because I sprung the idea on Tim at the last minute and he did well with it...

the important thing to note is that we plan to make that top part of the page variable. For instance, I'd like to do a version on a bodyboard theme, and maybe a nautical theme, or how 'bout a typical surf car dashboard? There are heaps of different possibilities...

We've only just started... we'll be looking to the forums and email for more guidance and ideas...

-don

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:11 pm

cool, and how about "photo of the week?" (from the realsurf crew OR users)

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:18 pm

Good thinking macca it could be a weekly or monthly comp for users that take photos of the surf or waves in that time frame (be it a week or a month) and the other users can vote on the best photos...

what do you think?

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm

aswell as my photo of the week idea, i think it would be good to have a link to the LOST and FOUND forum on the front page because that would give it much more publicity and hence much more success.

max
Grommet

Post by max » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:13 pm

Like the dashboard idea
Say with the usual crud spread out across it, choccy milk carton, magazine, wax rapper, legrope, dancing elvis and a hula girl hanging from the rear view mirror, AND a different external view everyday !

Or then maybe you could at the bottom of the page under "The Goats" final say...have say your average surf vehicle floor? with those things that we prefer not to be on show like last weeks fish and chip leftovers squashed into the carpet alongside that last piece of wax that melted or maybe an empty orchy bottle, a piece of nylex, couple of used or unused frangers delicately covered by half the beach...hmm maybe not.

But I like the dashboard idea.

HB
regular

Post by HB » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:35 am

The dashboard idea with a different view out the windscreen every now and then is a funny idea.

you could even incorporate the daily surf shots into it by having a photo on the dashboard that changes when you click on it.

I'm complicating things now aren't I? it's easy to get carried away with a good idea.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:48 am

love your thinking folks!!!

keep running with those ideas and I promise that in the fullness of time we will bring them to some sort of er, expression...

I like the junk at the bottom of the page idea too! footwells in a surf car, contents of a typical surf car boot, the road maybe, or the path down to the beach, the sandy pad of a surfside shower, buncha empty bottles or drained coffee cups...

man this is fun!