Getting used to a new board

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

booter
Local

Getting used to a new board

Post by booter » Mon May 30, 2005 4:26 pm

How long does it usually take you to get used to a new board (if at all)?

I rode my new stick for the first time on the weekend and while I did a few turns which felt better than my normal turns there were quite a few waves where I felt pretty sketchy. It generally takes me a while to get used to a new board and I always wondered how people just jumped on a completely different board and rode it perfect straight away...

So, anyway, how long does it take you to feel perfectly comfortable on a new stick?

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Mon May 30, 2005 4:59 pm

I'd say two surf sessions before you feel like it's your board you're riding.

A few more to really get to be friends.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 31, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi Booter, I'm sure it's different for everyone. Soooo many variables. Is the board dramatically different from your old one? Is it only subtly different (can make it even harder because you don't adjust for the change in your mind)?

I've had boards I've known like brothers from the third wave and others I never really get to know -- they might do everything nicely, but without much personality. Others I've cursed from the first ride, yet witlessly, stubbornly persisted with, sometimes for months. Others so good I'm too scared to ride 'em.

I will say however that your newie sounds extremely promising. Any board that does some things better almost straight away is almost certainly gold. And where it's catching you up ... maybe it's a step ahead of you, maybe that's where your improvements will come.
best of luck!

xxnc

BB

Post by BB » Tue May 31, 2005 12:58 pm

The longer you take to get used to them (providing you get there!) the better they are!

booter
Local

Post by booter » Tue May 31, 2005 1:19 pm

The dimensions of my old board were 6'2", 18 1/8, 2 3/16

The new board is 6'2", 18 1/4, 2 1/4

so there isn't too much difference. The major differences are that my new board has a much flatter rocker, a flat bottom (as apposed to a single concave on the old), more volume in the tail and slightly lower rails

I find that the new board is much looser and is quite a bit faster (which is what i was after). i sometimes used to have trouble on the old board in fatter waves where it bogged a little.

What I noticed on the weekend was that with my old board I really had to work hard to generate speed and doing that didnt really work that well on the new board just yet

my backhand reos were so much smoother though, cant wait to get on it and ride it properly.

bloody work :x

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Tue May 31, 2005 1:44 pm

BB wrote:The longer you take to get used to them (providing you get there!) the better they are!
can you explain the reasoning behind your statement????

if the board is good it should go well straight away unless you have made some serious changes to the type of board you ride e.g width, length, shape ...
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

Patto09

Post by Patto09 » Tue May 31, 2005 1:47 pm

I don't think it happens on one wave, but I think you pretty much know straight away if you can dig it. If a board stiill doesn't feel like its going to improve your surfing after 10 surfs, ditch it.

booter
Local

Post by booter » Tue May 31, 2005 2:02 pm

not everyone has the luxury of ditching a board after 10 surfs

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Tue May 31, 2005 3:49 pm

booter wrote:not everyone has the luxury of ditching a board after 10 surfs
better after 10 surfs when it is still worth something ...
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

agc
regular

Post by agc » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Id say a few surfs.
"And the way the rain comes down hard, that's how i feel inside..."

booter
Local

Post by booter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:54 am

you wouldnt believe how good the newy is going now

so so so sweet

eMpowered
Local

New Boards

Post by eMpowered » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:41 am

I am lucky enough to have about 20 boards at any one time - From performance thrusters to mals, single fins and twinnies. I beleive it is not a matter of getting used to a new board, though rather getting used to why each board does what. Go to shops like Aloha Manly, Give them your hard earnt, And try a few boards out. At the same time get to your local tip and grab some old gems. After a while you will get a better understanding of what YOU want. Then go to your favourite shaper and get them to bang out a board with not only the dimensions, but rocker, rail, tail and plainshape variances that you want and now have some more understanding of. We don't all have the pleasure of being pro surfers and nor can most of us afford the variance of people like Rasta, but i'm sure that even with a small shop/tip/shaper quiver you will have a ball. To sumarise - You will love your new custom board all the more once above process is undertaken and 2 - Never stop riding your old single/twinny boards even if it is only once a month. I am in my 30's and loving my surfing as much as ever.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:19 pm

Depends how good the waves are and how much you've been surfing.

wolverine

Post by wolverine » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:56 pm

If a new board still doesn't feel good after ten surfs then it never will. If you find yourself thinking/saying "It goes good in good waves". then it's not a good board, as most of the time you'll be surfing average waves if you live in Sydney.

I find it interesting that this new board has a flat bottom as opposed to your last, which had a single concave - I've always found single concaves less responsive and more likely to track - like they are suctioned to the wave face. Could be a reason why your new board goes better.

booter
Local

Post by booter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Yeah I wanted a board that would work in all surf not just in hollow or perfect waves. The new board seems to have a shit load more speed and drive than the old one.

I find when I complete a turn I still have speed whereas the old board seemed to bog after a turn.

Loving the new board so far.

The Terminal

Post by The Terminal » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:58 pm

If you don't fell comfortable after a month dump it.
They sometimes feel really bad at the start then a week later ur surfing like kelly slater. and vice versa they might feel good at the start and then week later really bad at the end.