20 Years.. is anyone really surprised?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

me
Grommet

Post by me » Sat May 28, 2005 5:57 pm

I believe she was lucky, the "bad judge" that is 500/500 has given much more serve punishments for similar instances. As for the indos cheering, from their eyes they have seen a forienger come in and break their laws. I believe many Australians would react the same way if the roles were reversed..

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Sat May 28, 2005 6:22 pm

I posted this to the front page, but for the record:

Apparently people are calling charities, asking for the money that they donated for the tsunami relief effort to be returned. Why? Schapelle F%#*in' Corby. That's the most pathetic, self centred, ignorant and utterly f%$#in; typical response from John Howard's Australia that's conceivable. I'm ashamed. Do you people have ANY conception of the devastation that tsunami caused? The loss of life? The sheer, unimaginable hardship? And to ask for your money back... Indos - if any of you are reading this - not all australians are boorish fools.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat May 28, 2005 8:06 pm

collnarra wrote:I posted this to the front page, but for the record:

Apparently people are calling charities, asking for the money that they donated for the tsunami relief effort to be returned. Why? Schapelle F%#*in' Corby. That's the most pathetic, self centred, ignorant and utterly f%$#in; typical response from John Howard's Australia that's conceivable. I'm ashamed. Do you people have ANY conception of the devastation that tsunami caused? The loss of life? The sheer, unimaginable hardship? And to ask for your money back... Indos - if any of you are reading this - not all australians are boorish fools.
its not because of what schapel corby did or didn't do, its because of what Australians have discovered about the legal system over there. People may have know that the penalties for crimes over there were harsh at times, but im not sure how many of us knew that the way their legal system works over there is pathetic, and an embarrisment to human rights.

I don't know whether or not she's innocent, but reguardless, i think its a tradgedy that you can be convicted for something without solid evidence.

If she is guilty, then i am glad that this thing has happened. Not because she will be serving jail time, but because the world has become aware of the discraceful legal system in indonesia.

I wonder how much comission the judge got out of every fine from the 500 drug cases he has heard. Come on, what legal system is good enough to be certain that out of 500 cases a judge has heard, that they were all definetly guiltly?

And as to the Indoesians cheering outside, theres no way Austalians would do that if an indonesian who appeared to be innocent was trialled and convicted in Australia. Who cheers when someones life is taken away in that way? Then again, i would cheer if i found out tomorrow that the judge was killed by shapells brother with a king punch to the head. Double standards you say? with a reason atleast.
Whats the judges reason? hes a bastard.

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Sat May 28, 2005 8:12 pm

craig wrote:hey spoon, yeah there was other big news that happened on friday but was very conveniently washed over briefly.....
the government introduced plans to shake up industrial relations laws for workers and employers....... basically fugging every blue collar worker in the country up the arse......(as i understand it)
it actually happened late on thursday arvo just before 6pm so the news couldnt pick it up and run with it...... very very conveniently timed. " a good day to bury bad news" as has been said before....
if schapelles verdict wasnt on friday the country would be up in arms about these changes......

little johnny tryin to snake the people....

yea you are right on the money there.... john howards aim is to make australia a more competitive market by cutting labour costs (read: workers wages).... dont blame me i voted labor

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat May 28, 2005 8:20 pm

Hey Spoon - you asked what else happened on Friday?
The Federal politicians gave themselves a pay rise of 4.1% to make a total pay rise of 8% over 12 months.
Bloody perfect timing !

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat May 28, 2005 8:52 pm

maybe the Indonesian judge is a surfer?

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Sat May 28, 2005 9:06 pm

macca202 wrote: but im not sure how many of us knew that the way their legal system works over there is pathetic, and an embarrisment to human rights.
and Australia's immigration detention system is an embarrasment to human rights.

Just because Indonesia has some flaws in its legal system doesn't mean we should punish people that suffered from the tsunami, in the same way Australians shouldn't be punished because we have flaws in our legal system.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat May 28, 2005 9:22 pm

zzz wrote:and Australia's immigration detention system is an embarrasment to human rights.

Just because Indonesia has some flaws in its legal system doesn't mean we should punish people that suffered from the tsunami, in the same way Australians shouldn't be punished because we have flaws in our legal system.
you do have a point, but your comparing moskitos to vampires. (does that work? :lol: )

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Sat May 28, 2005 9:58 pm

macca202 wrote: you do have a point, but your comparing moskitos to vampires. (does that work? :lol: )
Only if you think that many young children that are all undisputably innocent of any crime spending many years inside a jail is trivial in comparison to Schapelles situation. Or a woman that is a legal citizen of a country being deported to another country for 2 years for no reason whatsoever is a trivial situation in comparison to the Corby situation.

My personal opinion about the tsunami relief that the Australian government gave to Indonesia is that it was too much for a smaller economy like ours but that aside, to punish the innocent people that suffered in the tsunami for the flaws of their government and legal system would be hypocritical and unfair.

If you follow the logic of punishing innocent civilians of a country for flaws in their political and legal systems it's not too long before you arrive at the same logic that terrorists apply to punish innocent civilians of countries that they believe have unjust governments.

And we shouldn't forget that if Corby is innocent then Australian baggage handlers are the ones ultimately responsible for this situation, and there hasn't been much in the media or in the way of actions by the government or AFP to pursue this issue (of drugs being trafficked from Brisbane to Sydney by plane ...).
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris