Chapelle Corby

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:44 am

The case turned on the assertion of the Balinese customs officials that Corby admitted the drugs were hers. Well, excuse me, if you are dismissing the evidence of Corby's travelling companions on the basis "they would say that, wouldn't they" then surely this evidence needs to be approached extremely cautiously.
I don't agree with this point buzzy, the official actually appeared on TV at one stage and his evidence was quite credible. What he said was that Corby refused to open the main part of the bag when asked and then grabbed his wrist as he went to do it, saying something like " I've got some....." Now I don't want to jump to conclusions but why make this stuff up, I mean it's not an absolute confession but it is very incriminating, if he was under pressure from above he would have said she absolutely admitted the whole thing.

"They would say that, wouldn't they" is a pretty solid legal principle when dealing with relatives or others who stand to benefit from an aquittal and I find it hard to imagine that her travelling companions would have been given any more credibility in an Australian court.

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Chapelle Corby

Post by chrisb » Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm

It won't discourage potential drug runners one iota. It's just political posturing by a weak leader who is trying to make himself look tough to gain public acclaim and win elections.
This situation is not unlike that of Victorian Premier Sir Henry Bolte who hanged Ronald Ryan in Victoria (the last execution in Australia) in the 1960's. It didn't help Bolte's reelection and let's hope that it doesn't help Widodo's either.

Not to mention that by all accounts these 2 drug runners were reformed and performing a useful function for society while they were living.

BTW, Is it just a coincidence that Schapelle Corby was attractive, and so was the Filipino maid who had a last minute reprieve from the gun?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri May 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Caught up in politics. Some things never change.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Never bought the : no one in their right mind would smuggle dope into Bali bit. There's a healthy market for it there and because it's counter intuitive those with a nose to the wind would and do give it a shot.

I thought it was well documented that her old man and brother were right in to dealing.

As far as the poor innocent bit goes: the Gold Coast must have changed dramatically towards a wholesome environment since I lived there.

Man the stories I'm sure half the crew on here could tell would make your toes curl up.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri May 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Last edited by jimmy on Sun May 10, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Her old man was not into dealing at all. That book which claimed so has been pulled from the shelves and pulped it was so full of unsubstantiated BS.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 10, 2015 10:53 am

Looking at reported coverage of this the book was pulped because of photos that were used without permission and the rest of the family also later sued for defamation because they felt the book claimed they were involved in her fathers dope dealing.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sun May 10, 2015 11:50 am

They didn't re-edit the book to exclude the photos. Would have been simple to re-issue without the pics if that was just the only problem. Queensland cops put a crapload of effort into investigating the father _ found nothing to link him with any dope smuggling. Easy to defame a dead man.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 10, 2015 12:01 pm

Just quoting the newspaper articles.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun May 10, 2015 5:43 pm

bomboraa wrote:. Easy to defame a dead man.
Actually it's impossible to defame a dead man. In a legal sense

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon May 11, 2015 2:08 pm

Hence those nasty stories about people come out after they have died. Hard to defend yourself when you are dead.

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Fri May 15, 2015 6:43 pm

chrisb wrote:It won't discourage potential drug runners one iota. It's just political posturing by a weak leader who is trying to make himself look tough to gain public acclaim and win elections.
This situation is not unlike that of Victorian Premier Sir Henry Bolte who hanged Ronald Ryan in Victoria (the last execution in Australia) in the 1960's. It didn't help Bolte's reelection and let's hope that it doesn't help Widodo's either.

Not to mention that by all accounts these 2 drug runners were reformed and performing a useful function for society while they were living.

BTW, Is it just a coincidence that Schapelle Corby was attractive, and so was the Filipino maid who had a last minute reprieve from the gun?
What a load of crap.

You really think people won't think twice if offered $$$ to be a drug smuggler??? Only a fool with a death wish would take the risk especially now its been shown no matter how much public support or legal wrangling or even threats from your government you have on your side, your still going to pay the price.

Its annoying when people say or think Jokowi is a weak leader, the only reason people/media say that is because he does not have a military background but its a perception and not the reality, the reality is not long after Jokowi got in as PM, he cut Indonesian fuel subsidies saving Indonesia 8 to 10 Billion USD a year, this is probably the biggest most ballsey move an Indonesian leader has ever done, anyone in the know has been saying for years it should be done but its obviously not a popular move among the public and if people remember the riots in Indonesian in the 90,s that sent Indonesia into chaos, these where all about fuel price increases, luckily this time nothing erupted but it could have, if that does not show strength then i don't know what does?.

Compare this to previous PM SBY, he was useless he did nothing, didn't have the balls to cut fuel subsides, these people were on death row for so long partly because of him, he didn't have the balls to grant these guys clemency because if he did it would be hugely unpopular in Indonesia and he didn't have the balls to allow their sentences and others to be completed..why?….because he was scared of International fall out.

Yes partly its a political move, but everything governments do are political moves, end of the day the people on death row are their because they did serious crimes and courts sentenced them and as i mentioned above all Jokowi in reality is doing is allowing the process of the legal system to continue because SBY had pressed the pause button because he was truly a weak leader because he was scared to make decisions and upset people..

Reformed…Yes they had a gun held to their head for ten years, we would all do anything to get the best chance of clemency and get support from our government and people, I'm atheist but id probably become a pastor too if it was going to give me a better chance of saving my life.

As for not getting re-elected, if your thinking another Indonesia leader would be better, well then you have no idea who the other option in the last election was Prabowo and you ca bet he would have done exactly the same, only difference is he might not have been so patient with time wasting last minute legal appeals…after al they did have nearly ten years for all that.

So much negativity directed at Indonesia from Australia recently, especially whinging about the death penalty when the reality is USA on average puts to death in one year about the same number of people as Indonesia has over the last 15 years (about 50 or less) while China puts to death an estimated couple thousand people a year, but we hear little about this.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Chan was poorly advised in his selection of a God.

Hollowed out
regular

Post by Hollowed out » Fri May 15, 2015 8:35 pm

yeah you would of thought the one with the free Vigins offer would be a no brainer