The Tulla Tub

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by buddy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:13 pm

Very good cast, channels, those grooterfish are biting.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 pm

coffee wars have raged fierce on Rs long before even the notion of cultural ones were fermented buddy, and as i see, long before your own paddle out into the lineup.

could be the lure to bring shep back with his 43 beans worth.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:59 pm

No Pants Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 pm
coffee wars have raged fierce on Rs long before even the notion of cultural ones were fermented buddy, and as i see, long before your own paddle out into the lineup.

And Andy.
Don't forget Andy 1234.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am

No Pants Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 pm

How true. Old timers will remember the true local was supposed to drink international roast out of a thermos at the beach.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Tub opens tomorrow, lucky I booked the other day for Sunday!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:28 pm

Had a session today on the intermediate mode. Minus - pretty weak, hard to find speed for turns. Plus - fewer falls and more waves. Surfed the JS Bullseye again. I wanted to try it as a quad but the rental shop didn't have any quad fins! sad. I think intermediate with the Bullseye as a quad will be tits.

daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Go pinny go!
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:40 pm

Lookin good!

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:47 pm

Did you snake grooter each set?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm

buddy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:47 pm
I would have if I'd known he was there. (and what he looked like)
daryl wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm

There was a pic of his head gash after he head butted a longboard in western port I believe.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm

What's your take on those surf caps, Pinnie?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm
What's your take on those surf caps, Pinnie?
You don't have to duck dive at the tub so you barely notice it.
daryl wrote:

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 pm

Okay here is my experience of UrbnSurf, I’ll probably repeat a lot of what pinny says, a lot matched my experience.

The place is definitely surreal, you’re surfing in an industrial estate while planes are taking off and landing in the distance and the pool is big. Like really big. You don’t realise it until you get there and when you walk out and see the whole park it takes a moment to let it sink in seeing people riding perfect waves in a tranquil setting. The facilities are excellent, showers, changerooms, food to eat and getting through checkin is pretty easy. I noticed an all-you-eat buffet across the road advertised when leaving, if I didn’t have to get home, I’d have smashed that as I was super hungry! The water was nice (but it is summer and it’s a shallow pool so that is to be expected). In winter you’ll freeze your balls off but that’s par for the course in Victoria.

I surfed the Intermediate wave on my backhand doing the 17:00 session. The Grootlets did the Beginner lessons. They recommend you arrive 30 minutes beforehand which is what I would too so you can get your shit sorted. We were told the kids didn’t need to turn up till 10 minutes before their lesson which was wrong, they had to be there 20 minutes earlier. Mrs Grooter was not impressed and remonstrated with some of the staff rather directly – suffice to say the message was heeded.

But on to the wave. I can’t comment on the Beginner experience, the Grootlets loved it and were frothing like mad at the end. We will be back, that I can guarantee and it’s an hour drive from my place.

First up the Intermediate wave is not a wave that a surfer from my part of the world is immediately used too. It has a bit less volume than your common Vicco swell, but it does have enough angle on the face to get onto. Reminded me of waves in NSW a bit. There is a flag on top of the wall which is the takeoff point and you want to be, ideally, halfway between the inside and outside walls when taking off. I tried taking off closer to the wall, but you need to be quick and drive hard to the shoulder if you do, as the wave doesn’t have the volume to push you if you don’t nail it. Also if you fcuk up the takeoff you will likely smack your board into the wall – quite a few people did. I botched a couple of take-offs in the beginning but by the end was getting them quite easily.

On the Intermediate you can get in a couple of quick turns once you get to your feet, but you need to be on the shoulder once you’re halfway down because you won’t make the second section if you’ve cut back into the whitewater as it doesn’t have the “push” of an ocean swell. I had to pump the board a few times to get onto the second section, and it’s awesome when you do, as you get a nice drop down and another good bottom turn. My guess is on the Advanced setting this will become the part that barrels – I’ll rebook later in Feb to give that a go.

There is a rip current running along the inside wall, which when you first paddle out seems like a bit of a novelty, but 40 minutes in you will be grateful for it. You will get a serious workout and you need to be paddle fit. By the end I was stuffed and about half the group I was with did not go the full hour. You also need to be a competent surfer, there were a few people who had overestimated their fitness and ambition and were cooked about halfway through. Thankfully they had the sense to pull the pin after causing a few pileups. I crashed into one lady who stuffed her take-off but thankfully didn’t hurt her. I wear a Gath helmet for concussion protection after getting my face re-arranged at Gunnamatta a couple of years ago – I wouldn’t surf this place without it. Also there can be the temptation to go even if you see two people stuff up in front of you, my advice is don’t, as you will get a falling dominoes effect – which truth be known looks rather funny when it’s not you but best avoided.

Other weird things is don’t sit too close to the inside wall in the queue, the wave sucks you into it! Cool but still, best avoided. You have to get used to people bumping into your feet and boards in the queue too, it can get quite bunched up so maybe think twice about bringing your favourite and most expensive board there as there is a decent potential for dings. There was also an unsettling amount of “YEEEW!” being shouted by people in the line-up in the beginning. Given it is Invasion Day today, my guess is they were tourists from up north, as your typical Victorian surfer carries themselves with a little more grace and dignity in the surf and knows better than to project such vulgar outbursts. Anyway it died off halfway through as most people are conserving energy

I rode it on my 7’ Miller V-Skate thruster which was about as big as I’d want to on that wave. Some people were on 8’ and bigger boards but they tombstoned a lot although there was one lady there who was really good and seemed to do pretty well. Other things to bear in mind is I’m 88kg’s and 176cm tall so I doubt I’d go any shorter unless I had a lot more volume and the fitness of Nick Carroll – which let’s be honest, is not going to happen and I’ve been playing basketball every week too!

Overall it was pretty cool and I will definitely be back. It can’t match a perfect day on the ocean, but it’s a wavepool, it’s not meant to. What you will get is a shitload of waves, a pretty decent workout and some damn nice facilities to do it in, which is surely a good thing to treat yourself to a few times a year.

Lastly a guy in the lineup was telling me that the Intermediate wave tends to get less surfers than the Advanced. There is probably a theory or two for that but make of it what you will.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 pm

pinhead wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm
buddy wrote:
I was wearing a Grey Gath helmet surfing an orange board for the 17:00 session mate, didn't see anyone wearing a hat out there on the left :)
buddy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm
There was a pic of his head gash after he head butted a longboard in western port I believe.
Nah it was Gunnamatta. 6 stitches plus a Titanium plate and 4 screws to put my face back together. The concussion was the worst though.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks for the write up. Hope you’re head is doing well now too.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:54 pm

Think I’m going in a few weeks.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Grooter wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 pm
pinhead wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm
buddy wrote:
I was wearing a Grey Gath helmet surfing an orange board for the 17:00 session mate, didn't see anyone wearing a hat out there on the left :)
buddy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm
Nah it was Gunnamatta. 6 stitches plus a Titanium plate and 4 screws to put my face back together. The concussion was the worst though.
Grooter sighting! I did see a guy wearing a Gath helmet. Thought to myself what kind of snowflake wears a helmet here, its not like he's got titanium plates in his head or anything.
daryl wrote: