How does anyone afford Kauai if not camping?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kulharin
Grommet

How does anyone afford Kauai if not camping?

Post by Kulharin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:26 am

Flight and vehicle rental were reasonable... When I started doing a search for accomm I was blown away.

Average $200-300 a night at most hotels.
$75 to sleep in the back of a van in a parking lot at the beach on AirBNB, not a lie.
$100 to sleep in a tent with a mattress on the ground on some guys property.

This is for early November...

I'm just going to take my tent and rent an suv... stay at the county and state campgrounds.

BA
Duke Status

Re: How does anyone afford Kauai if not camping?

Post by BA » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 pm

We just paid the dough for a hotel. Really nice one about 50 metres from the waters edge. Could watch turtles from our balcony. Lovely way to spend an afternoon. Beer and turtle-watching. Bliss.

In answer to your question, we work, saved some money, and went there for a week.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:12 pm

We paid for an airbnb at Hanalei Bay on the north shore of Kauai. Relatively cheap, across from the sea and a short drive to Nāpali coast.

Here are some options
https://trip101.com/article/top-airbnbs ... lei-bay-hi
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 am

Perhaps not this time. I was suppose to fly next week and the forecast that looked good yesterday turned a 180 today with now a lot of rain and on shore wind. Looks like they are still in major flood recovery with the hwy closed beyond Hanalei. Bummer

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Worked out well overall.. The weather on the north was pretty shite, a lot of rain and the rivers turning all the water murky. The points were crowded and competitive and cold. However on the south side I scored good surf around Poipu and Kekaha, along with sunny weather and clear waters with few surfers. Busy though with tourists and grid lock traffic all over the island, a lot more than back in 2011 when |I last visited.

Campgrounds are pretty primal and I wouldn't so much as call them campsites, I ended up just sleeping in the SUV I rented for 9 nights all over.

Hot damn though some of those tweens can shred. It was a humbling experience surfing some of the breaks whether competing at the points or getting pulverized by the heavy pitching beach breaks