J-Bay Pro 2017

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Re: J-Bay Pro 2017

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:19 am

Hollowed out wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:27 pm
Does anyone ever use drones at JBay to patrol the lineup or was that just a one off for the contest? It would be interesting if any local guys using drones regularly have captured good shark activity footage or close calls with surfers.If this stuff needs to be correlated to build a knowledge base.
I think it was just a one-off for the contest. The drone was there as part of the WSL CT machine, which is basically like a large movie set - a completely unusual event for a town like that. As mentioned, there aren't nearly as many surfers in South Africa as there are here in Australia, thus there is a corresponding lower level of activity around the sport. J-Bay itself for a surf spot of such renown - or maybe just by Australian standards - is remarkably uncrowded, there's more people walking on the beach than there are in the water, and there's not a whole lot of camera-people. I didn't see a drone during the days after the event or during any of the free surfs around the event. I did see three or four water photogs during those free surfs but they weren't using anti shark devices of any kind. They were all visiting from other parts of the country and were there specifically for the event.

There was an attack at J-Bay on a surfer a number of years ago that was captured by an amateur videographer from the beach but it's pretty hard to see what's happening.

foamy
Harry the Hat

Post by foamy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

I thought the drone was under-utilised at J-Bay. Long point rides are where tracking drones often give the best perspective. Otherwise you are chopping between cameras and/or filming someone disappearing into the distance.

steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 am

I think that drone angle is a bit sugary Foamy, you know what i mean?

Nice in small doses.

My fav angle for a point break is the one you get when you are rocking off (they show it beautifully at Bells on a low tide).....you are upstream from the wave watching someone go down the line.
It's the most flattering to the wave and the surfer.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:17 pm

agreed. that down the line and away from the camera angle is the balls
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

foamy
Harry the Hat

Post by foamy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:30 pm

There is a pleasing romanticism to that angle but I don't think it's ideal for analysing heat performances.

steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Nor is the drone.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes