J-Bay Pro 2017

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: J-Bay Pro 2017

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Well done. Now you just have to learn to crop a pic. ;)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Jeez, Trev charged when we was in his late 40's!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 pm
Jeez, Trev charged when we was in his late 40's!
I'm not a goofy footer. <:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Well this changes everything I'm afraid

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm

OddaP wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm
3-) 3-) Wow
Who was the arsehat judge that gave the barrels a 10 and the second one a 9.8?
That loopydocker is tripping.
Last edited by alakaboo on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Trev wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:07 pm
steve shearer wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/UliJr
Steve, when the image has uploaded to imgur (can take a minute or two), hover over top right hand corner of pic and a down arrow will appear. Hover over that and select "Get share links"
Select BBCode (for forums). Copy and paste into your post.

Like this.
I can't see an image Trev
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Cranked wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm
Trev wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:07 pm
steve shearer wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/UliJr
Steve, when the image has uploaded to imgur (can take a minute or two), hover over top right hand corner of pic and a down arrow will appear. Hover over that and select "Get share links"
Select BBCode (for forums). Copy and paste into your post.

Like this.
I can't see an image Trev
Anyone else can't see it?
Don't know why not cranked. Unless it's something to do with your phone settings.
Beanpole

Skipper

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Parko looked a bit old. Still a beautiful surfer.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Jefferies is his kind of wave.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm
Hey Nick, are there any black people in South Africa?
I've been looking carefully and can't see any!
Amazing isn't it.

That's a knot I can't untangle TMS. One intelligent and observant local told me that of the 50 million people South Africa, a small number live in a middle class bubble, a few are very rich, and the rest "live in the reality of the nation". I would guess most of the rest are black and most of the middle class are white, and that would mean almost all the surfing population. There would be black resentment, white guilt, white-apartheid arrogance and contempt, nouveau black wealth, the whole ten yards. Around this event there's a lot of people working on security, service, clean-up etc who are black but they are not exactly the targets of the WSL's cameras.

I saw something pretty offensive at the airport in Joburg, something that told me apartheid consciousness is as alive on the ground here as the old white Australia bigotry is at home.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Nick, they test our children here to work out their competence in core subjects. Probably do the same in Australia. The scale goes to 140. My eldest brought her results home yesterday and for maths reasoning she didn't have a mark, just 140+. Intrigued, I looked at the small print and it said '... very high achievers can only be given an age-standardised score of ‘more than 140’ because the test does not measure the limit of their skills.'

Leaving aside my Mumsnet bragging, isn't this how we should think of our perfect 10s, our perfect 20s? Not in that awful, let's start with the maximum and chip away at it for every small mistake way that the dour and humourless gymnastics does, but rather a joyful and headshaking appreciation of surfing that has delivered everything that we could possibly expect of it, that defies number so must, contrarily, be given the full house? The surfing equivalent of 'That'll do, pig'?

Anyway, and if you'll permit some light cupping and gentle stroking, I'm enjoying your on-the-spot reportage. It's a nice counterpoint to that longtom fellow on Beachgrit
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm
[quote="The Mighty Sunbird" post_id=841375 time=<a href="tel:1500372219">1500372219</a> user_id=5658]
Amazing isn't it.

That's a knot I can't untangle TMS. One intelligent and observant local told me that of the 50 million people South Africa, a small number live in a middle class bubble, a few are very rich, and the rest "live in the reality of the nation". I would guess most of the rest are black and most of the middle class are white, and that would mean almost all the surfing population. There would be black resentment, white guilt, white-apartheid arrogance and contempt, nouveau black wealth, the whole ten yards. Around this event there's a lot of people working on security, service, clean-up etc who are black but they are not exactly the targets of the WSL's cameras.

I saw something pretty offensive at the airport in Joburg, something that told me apartheid consciousness is as alive on the ground here as the old white Australia bigotry is at home.
[/quote]

White guilt's a pisser, hey
Erase.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Jbay maxing out.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 pm
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm
Amazing isn't it.

Quite a few here, sounds like the middle class is getting harder to maintain, and some ugly incidents becoming more common, hence a lot moving. Won't be good when there's a small number of very rich and a large %age of struggling day to day.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 pm
Leaving aside my Mumsnet bragging, isn't this how we should think of our perfect 10s, our perfect 20s? Not in that awful, let's start with the maximum and chip away at it for every small mistake way that the dour and humourless gymnastics does, but rather a joyful and headshaking appreciation of surfing that has delivered everything that we could possibly expect of it, that defies number so must, contrarily, be given the full house? The surfing equivalent of 'That'll do, pig'?

Anyway, and if you'll permit some light cupping and gentle stroking, I'm enjoying your on-the-spot reportage. It's a nice counterpoint to that longtom fellow on Beachgrit
don't you dare touch me god save

and yeah well I reckon judges do rise from the base, not the other way round. Their difficulties are enhanced by the top end limit. Sometimes I think there should be no upper limit. I dunno how that would work though.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 am

Get out there Nick!

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 am

Nick Carroll wrote: I dunno how that would work though.
Well I suppose you'd have to have some sort of tariff with a potential maximum for each turn, adjust it for how well they're performed and tot up the scores as they go along. John John's rd 4 10 would thus be a 26.3, by my reckoning
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?