The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm

I have become somewhat more open minded but still have not seen any evidence live or virtual that convinces me.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Don’t overthink it beany. They’re surfboard shaped surfboards that ride pretty much like any other surfboard. Width and thickness make them a stable platform and the soft rails mean they’re pretty forgiving. I’m not terribly convinced that the emperors new dome brings much to the party but they’re certainly fun enough to ride
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 pm
Don’t overthink it beany. They’re surfboard shaped surfboards that ride pretty much like any other surfboard. Width and thickness make them a stable platform and the soft rails mean they’re pretty forgiving. I’m not terribly convinced that the emperors new dome brings much to the party but they’re certainly fun enough to ride
Like riding a boat.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 pm

The faster you go the more the board sits up out of the water on the dome and the looser they get. Its an amazing feeling. You're not going to get it in average conditions, but in bigger, faster waves they really turn on.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm
Love me some McCoy.
What about the Hatfield’s?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 pm
The faster you go the more the board sits up out of the water on the dome and the looser they get. Its an amazing feeling. You're not going to get it in average conditions, but in bigger, faster waves they really turn on.
That sounds kind of strange Cranked. As a board gets faster i generally want more control, not less. By your description, as the board goes faster it gets looser. The faster it goes, the more speed you get, the looser it gets, therefore the less control you have. It sounds kind of opposite of what i look for. You also seem to be saying Mcoys won't perform on the east coast of Aus for the majority of the year, given they don't perform to their optimum in average conditions. They work in big, faster, more perfect waves. Conditions i almost never see. Well, you not be selling the idea so far.

I'm sure that's not what you meant in describing the looseness of the boards, and i get that. However, i've ridden a typical fat 6'2" wide arsed McCoy epoxy thing or whatever it is they make them from, in pretty good conditions and i still think they handle like a fcuking boat relative to a good HPSB. I don't surf that well but there's a difference between feeling a wave and driving a turn and what McCoys do. I also know that people like certain feelings from a surfboard and it's a matter of getting used to the board and learning it's characteristics. No doubt i haven't given them enough time to make an informed call but i know a truck will handle different to a car every time, regardless of the conditions.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Those McCoys look like they give you a bit of trouble getting around the corner
Erase.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:38 am

black duck wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm
Cranked wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:41 pm
That sounds kind of strange Cranked. As a board gets faster i generally want more control, not less. By your description, as the board goes faster it gets looser. The faster it goes, the more speed you get, the looser it gets, therefore the less control you have. It sounds kind of opposite of what i looking for...
Traditionally, boards for smaller waves differ from boards for bigger waves. Big wave boards are longer, narrower (especially in the tail), have more rocker and skinnier rails. Essentially these changers reduce the "wetted area", that is the area of the board in contact with the water.

These features are designed to enable more control because the water rapidly gets "harder" as the speed increases. For example, when waterskiing, I can plane just on my feet at 35mph but I certainly can't do that at 25mph.

I'm saying that the dome enables you, more or less, to ride the same wide tailed board in 1' or 10', because the wetted area changes relative to the speed. Other designs don't do this.

As the water "hardens" at speed the wetted area reduces as they sit higher on the dome, so they have a greater range due to the design but there are still limits to that range. Nuggets work better in the upper ranges and these are way the most popular McCoys. Zots are for a lower sized range of conditions, but very few people, including me, can ride a very wide tailed single at all well. Geoffs Double Enders or Laser Zaps might be better for average east coast conditions.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm

Geoff gives his thoughts about 4 fins on McCoys.

"Recently people have been bastardising his fin configurations and we asked Geoff his thoughts and thankfully he answered.

Question to Geoff McCoy : Rumor has it that some of your surfboards are being modified by surfers out there by putting 4 fin plug boxes in them and changing the fin configuration you have worked years at developing, complete with your own fin design. Is there any merit in these current fashion boards with 4 fins?? Have you ever designed a surfboard to have have 4 fins?

Geoff McCoy : Yes it has come to my attention that some poor deluded ignorant fools have had 4 fins attached to some of my designs.

What people need to understand is with my individual designs each design has its own individual features and because none of them have been designed to accommodate 4 fins, they will not perform to their optimum performance at all, just like the rest of the media hyped 4 fins.

I in my time in surfing have shaped 4 fin designs twice previously with limited success as is still the case with the latest designs which are best suited to surfers of low ability as the design produces much more drag slowing reaction giving less skillful surfers more control.

I have heard the comment how fast 4 fins are, its not because of the 4 fins it is because the plan shape and thickness has increased in the back half of the board, that gives the extra speed in spite of the extra drag that has been introduced with the 4 fins.

The reason I have been using wide thick tails in my designs is because of the extra speed and thrust that design produces. It is no surprise that the first comment I receive from a surfer riding a single fin for the first time is how fast it is and how easy it is to paddle. The reason for this is 1 fin at 90 degree to the hull produces minimal drag, it is only common sense the more fins you add to the hull the more drag you add especially when the fins are set at an angle both inward and splayed outward.

The reason I glass all my multi fin designs onto the board is to prevent ignorance from changing the board performance completely. I think it is total lack of knowledge for shaper/ designers to install plugs in a board, so the user can put any fin combination on the board in their ignorance. It is not ok to say, it lets people play around with the boards performance until they find a combination that suit them that should be done by the designer of the board, it is their responsibility and the board should produce a desired performance for each design assessing the user's requirements and the boards capabilities prior to the sale of the board and if it is not right for the user then try another design all together.

The experimenting should be done by the designer not the user ! it really pisses me off when total ignorance interferes with my designs and have the hide to say it does not work, who do they think they are bloody fools."

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Consider yourself told, cranked, you deluded ignorant low ability meddler
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm sorry GSTQ but I just couldn't resist replying:
I have ridden Geoff's boards on and off since 1982 (mainly on). My first McCoy was a 6'1 lazor zap like single, one of Kingsley Lookers. I rode that for a year in Bali.

I now have 7 McCoys: 6'1, 6'8, 7' Zots and 6'8, 7', 7'4, 8' Nuggets.

For the last four years I've been surfing good waves in Bali and really enjoying my McCoys in all conditions up to double overhead and sometimes a bit bigger.

The boards I mainly ride are the Zots. I did not like them as singles though. For me they were way to idiosyncratic in their response to rider input, and although fast down the line, they were too slow off the mark.

For the waves I was riding I needed to set the rail in the top half of the wave immediately on take off and get motoring down the line - they wanted to drop to the bottom.

I had one converted to a quad. The quad setup was McKee, that is the rear fins were a bit closer to midpoint between the rail and the centrepoint, rather than being close to the rail.

I'd spent two weeks, 4 hours a day trying to get the Zots working for me without success. The quad setup worked for me within a wave or two. Thank god, I could now push hard on the fins and the the board would respond instantly.

For the next two weeks I swapped backwards and forwards between the gullwings/dolphins/side bites and the quads, but never had any success compared with the quads. A bit later a I tried a winged keel half a dozen times - this had a bit more drive and stability than the gulwing but was nowhere as good for me as the quads.

I'm a pretty average rider that sometimes gets some great waves and rides them well, and other times does some pretty kooky things. I've been spending 6 months a year out on the bukit for the last four years and thats the plan for the foreseeable future.

I'm aware of Geoff's description of multifins as 'trainer' wheels for surfboard riders, but this is what 99.99% of surfers ride and like. No-one is going to win a surf comp on a single fin.

And yes, the single is faster, but I need control as well as speed.

I'll continue to give the Zots a go as singles every now and then
I though I'd better explain my use of idiosyncratic, so followed up with
I used the word idiosyncratic to describe the behaviour of a single fin.
By this I meant that the Zot with a single fin does not respond to rider input in a smooth and predictable manner.

What I find is when I push with my back foot on the single fin zot, the response from the board is not as progressive as that of a multifin. The cause is I believe, the wide tail combined with the single fin. As the board tilts over during a turn, the fin starts to come out of the water and as a consequence the resistance to the turn suddenly decreases. The design of the gullwing, with its greater area deeper in the wave mitigates this somewhat, as there is far more of the gulwing still in the water than with a regular dolphin style fin. With the winged keel the effect is more pronounced. But neither of them nearly are as effective as the rail fins of a multifin setup, these are just pushed deeper as the rail is engaged.

Of course you still have the rail in the water, but the multifins have the rail in the water AND the fins. The slightly rounded rail of the Zot provides some additional hold, but I believe that is not comparable to the hold of a rail fin (or fins on a quad)

The traditional single with its narrow pintail does not suffer so much from an inconsistent response because the that narrow tail allows the fin to stay deeper for longer and the narrow tail means a lot more rail is engaged during a turn.
Is it OK for surfers to think for themselves or should they just do what Geoff says?

Nietzsche says we should each develop our own morality and strive for excellence. But only the elite really matter in any case.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Anyway, if he gets uppity I'll just tell him that Nick Carroll said he wouldn't ride a Zot if it was the only surfboard left in the universe.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 pm

You must've had some important tasks to avoid when you wrote that, Cranky.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:42 pm

I don't have any important tasks buddy. Its a sybaritic life of leisure. This is the natural state of boomers when they age.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:57 pm
Anyway, if he gets uppity I'll just tell him that Nick Carroll said he wouldn't ride a Zot if it was the only surfboard left in the universe.
Let us be accurate here cranky, I said I would ONLY ride a Zot if it were the only board left in the universe.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:51 pm

But on second thought. Maybe I would just go bodysurfing.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:04 pm

First you build me up, then cast me back into the depths of despair

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:10 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:26 pm
I haven't been paying sufficient attention to this thread. At speed the dome certainly makes a big difference. As the force from the water goes up as the cube of the speed the board sits higher on the dome and loosens up and gets faster as the wetted area decreases.