The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by Cranked » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm

“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

There used to be quite a thick set guy who rode one at DY, only a few years back from now. He's buggered off somewhere but he was a pretty handy rider. Built like a rugby union prop so I think he enjoyed the foam as well. That was the last regular McCoy rider I can remember.
Last edited by Davros on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Should also point out that I really like his semiguns, for the same reasons cranked outlined.

I have a board that has a variation of a hull, the fast displacement hull form, taken from ship design, and it is incredible.
It's a normal size and shape (5'10"X 19.5x2 5/8), wideish quad, and it's ostensibly a small wave summer board, but I've never found any top end for it.
In 6-8' barrels it was still easy to turn.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Cranked wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:35 pm
Davros, there's a bit of backround needed.

Every board of Geoffs that I've looked at (hand shapes and surftech) has a lot of rocker in the tail, like 1.75" in the last 30".

This made them a bit slow and mushy (as per 'boos description) in less powerful surf.

But as everyone knows, the force exerted when planing on water goes up as the cube of the speed. So once you get them in good waves they start to really excell, and they stay loose as the speed increases because they sit up higher on the dome.

Then along came TSA. The first lot of Nuggets were the same as the surftechs and hand shapes. But after a few years they were all redesigned and the rocker in the tail was dramatically reduced, from 1.75" to about 0.8".

This dramatically changed their performance. It's only in the TSA boards, but as hand shapes are about $1200 and shipping (to Perth for example) is $400 most people will only ever own a TSA board.

So now the performance characteristics described by 'boo are gone. They are fast, catch waves really easily, but don't turn so well.

The zots have a narrower tail, and a little more tail rocker, so I bought them in preference to the nuggets. I've been finding my way with them though as they are quite different (again TSA, not hand shapes)

As a single fin I found they were easily the worst board I've ever ridden. The combination of the wide flat tail and the Gulwing is extremely difficult to do anything with in most situations.

Changing them to a quad was amazing and a dramatic improvement. The combination of the drag and turning ability is perfect.

So far they have been great in everything up to double overhead, power and control in macking super fast waves. I hope to push them further, but double overhead has been my max comfort level for a while, so it means a big effort from me to push beyond that. I think it will be me, not the board, that will be the biggest obstacle though.
Thanks Cranky. That's really interesting feedback. You could see/feel something in the board but it required such a fundamental design enhancement to make it work for you. Isn't that what it's all about though?

Problem is getting someone who could nail such a drastic change.Gutsy move.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Cranked wrote:

Every board of Geoffs that I've looked at (hand shapes and surftech) has a lot of rocker in the tail, like 1.75" in the last 30".

This made them a bit slow and mushy (as per 'boos description) in less powerful surf.

But as everyone knows, the force exerted when planing on water goes up as the cube of the speed. So once you get them in good waves they start to really excell, and they stay loose as the speed increases because they sit up higher on the dome.

Then along came TSA. The first lot of Nuggets were the same as the surftechs and hand shapes. But after a few years they were all redesigned and the rocker in the tail was dramatically reduced, from 1.75" to about 0.8".

This dramatically changed their performance. It's only in the TSA boards, but as hand shapes are about $1200 and shipping (to Perth for example) is $400 most people will only ever own a TSA board.

So now the performance characteristics described by 'boo are gone. They are fast, catch waves really easily, but don't turn so well.

The zots have a narrower tail, and a little more tail rocker, so I bought them in preference to the nuggets. I've been finding my way with them though as they are quite different (again TSA, not hand shapes)

As a single fin I found they were easily the worst board I've ever ridden. The combination of the wide flat tail and the Gulwing is extremely difficult to do anything with in most situations.

Changing them to a quad was amazing and a dramatic improvement. The combination of the drag and turning ability is perfect.

So far they have been great in everything up to double overhead, power and control in macking super fast waves. I hope to push them further, but double overhead has been my max comfort level for a while, so it means a big effort from me to push beyond that. I think it will be me, not the board, that will be the biggest obstacle though.

How bout the thruster nuggets?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Lazor Zap Bonzer. Oh my. The Bap. The Bapmobile.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:11 pm
Cranked wrote:

How bout the thruster nuggets?
Yes, they go well....BUT a quad set up is looser and faster...

I rode my 7/0(5 futures boxes) for a month as a thruster before I set up the Quad system.Its never been set up as a thruster again.So over 5 years ago now.

Also with the Quad option you can fine tune the amount of drive that suits you.For instance,turning off your toes forehand I use 2 large fins on the inside rail.The heel side has the same leading fin but a much smaller area trail fin.By using this theres less resistance turning off you heels.Works for me,Nuggets can be snapped around using this set up.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Davros wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm
Lazor Zap Bonzer. Oh my. The Bap. The Bapmobile.
CAN you piss off back across the ditch...yr the ultimate moron.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Ok. I've been polite.

Do you live in Sydney? Let's see if you can back your aggressive behaviour up.

I don't care that you are in love with McCoy surfboards, but if someone spoke to me like that in the street or a pub I'd be swinging.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

If ya stoopid enough, meet me outide the DY pub tonight....I'll have the MCoy T shirt on.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Cannot tonight but next week anytime.

PM'd you

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 pm

This sounds like a duel! Can I suggest Hypto Krypto's at ten paces gentlemen?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Davros is a big unit, surfwurf. Don't have a drink beforehand. I'd suggest a home appliance store. And perhaps you should consider chilling the fcuk out. He actually makes some good points, but you're too on the defensive to notice
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 pm

As a (Rodgers shaped) Nugget owner I probably should say something

But I've discovered that I'm perhaps too much of a front foot surfer, maybe because (a) I'm hopeless and/or (b) I'm a left footer who surfs natural. In any event, where there is a bit of oomph (and I havent slingshotted down the wave to oblivion due to the fat tail), I'm fine; but in weaker surf I cant get my weighting right. I'll blame the board. But you get some great bottom turns on the right wave.

Although I dont quite get the 'have you ever seen anyone ripping vertical on a nugget, if not then they are useless' attitude. How many surfers surf vertical anyway? So its not a HPSB, that doesnt make it a bad board. Just bad for people wanting to surf vertical. I've never seen anyone nose ride a HPSB, doesnt make them useless.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Beery, it was the nuggets I was talking about where the tail rocker was changed
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Dav and sw on a hot date. How romantic.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Cranked could u post a pic of your zots new fin setup?
TIA

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Crap. I have to add DY pub to my list of dispute settlement locations.