The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: The Good Luck A Number One McCoy Thread

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm

This may be why they liked the font but are you telling me they were researching fonts back in the 60s?
The basic premise for the article appeared to be how people unconsciously adopted derivative styles.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm
This may be why they liked the font but are you telling me they were researching fonts back in the 60s?
The basic premise for the article appeared to be how people unconsciously adopted derivative styles.
I think back in "the 60's" , it was more a case of some had more acute powers of observation than others. Aside from scientists and statisticians , few people indulged in research before the information super highway was built.

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by Beanpole » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Well if you are claiming that copying the Coke Font is a sign of acute powers of observation then it's obviously sheer genius for MR to copy the Superman Logo and Rabbit copying Warner Bros. He had to desist as I remember after threats of copyright infringement.

Few people indulged in research?
I think a few Unis might be surprised to hear that.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 am

It's all just marketing . MR , Rabbit and the Bronzed Aussies were all very good at marketing themselves, and surfing had a new global pro-circuit to sell.......The McCoy marketing was always very effective , even in the early days .

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44 am

All very good but not quite what you were saying....i.e. Scientists and statisticians being the only people to research anything in the 60s.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:10 am

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:44 am
All very good but not quite what you were saying....i.e. Scientists and statisticians being the only people to research anything in the 60s.
Quite correct in a technical sense.....but semantics on an internet forum is pretty much a road to nowhere. I was more referring to the google phenomena , with it's push button search engines......or is that re-search engines ?