Rio Pro 2017 - Saquarema

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Rio Pro 2017 - Saquarema

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Davros wrote: Far out. Surely you want journos to cover the contest, not just a thin veneer via a website. Little wonder its failing.

the WSL is an absolute anomaly in world sport. They don't want outside journos looking in and giving their 2-cents. They can't control the narrative that way. And they are all about that control.

In some twisted way, they think taking ownership for all outgoing correspondence & media gives them an exclusivity. and that exclusivity will equal incoming dollars at some point. The theory being: they have, what people want.

... where in realty all they've done is strangle the will out of the last few hundred people following the 'sport' ... as what they're doing is so transparent and obvious, it's an insult to all of our collective intelligences. As wintessed by average punters when they make these kinds of well-informed comments:
cranked wrote:The WSL goal no doubt is nice clean corporate product with a nice clean corporate image.
when we all know the average surfer despises this kind of corporate nonsense.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 pm

....but does the average Pro?

The most eccentric people I meet are surfers. Some, a lot, live in a universe chusioned from the mind numbing servility of modern society. It's fantastic meeting some of these outrageous characters. It keeps me coming back. Sure there are Dick heads but on the whole I find most have an interesting story. Blokes who sell surfboards in retail surf shops eat shit for the most part and could be selling used cars.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 pm

the pros love having not to talk to media. same as any pro sports person in the world.

they hate the media.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
aaarating wrote:In the short evolution of surfboard riding I wonder which f***wit was the first one to say "I know what would be better than just surfing with you guys. lets have a contest!"
But then you just know in all probability it had to be the dickhead who was convinced he was the 'best' surfer. Toledo's outburst is just an extension of a compulsion to turn what is of essence a highly singular and individual pursuit to challenge yourself into a highly subjective contest with 'rules' and 'systems' to try to give it credibility. Toledo is absolutely convinced he is the 'best' as are all who compete in anything within the top echelons. Forget any of the humble shit on the podium. Competition will always ultimately bring out the worst human traits of ego even when hidden well.
Yeah it was the Hawaiians in the 16th and 17th centuries. They used to have surf contests and bet on them.
Without wanting to question the validity of your research on that answer wouldn't it be more likely that any such surf 'contest' was based on a belly board type race straight to the beach rather than 1550's Pottz and Hawaiin Manahanolooka 'Joe' Turpell commenting on a ten point ride and how buttery that turn was?
I get competing and betting on a type of race even though the outcome is still highly fixable. I don't get the bullshit delivered by 'judges' of surfing. A collective wankfest if ever there was which will make it the ideal Olympic sport.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

In the now normal crowds you compete every day surfing in Sydney. With a rigid set of rules too. Apart from drop ins, snaking etc there's the unspoken assessment of who's around you - what they are riding, what they are wearing, their ability, their male status, familiarity, age, aggression, gender. They are all rules for the few seconds of competition when that peak comes towards the pack.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:the pros love having not to talk to media. same as any pro sports person in the world.

they hate the media.
It was more the corporate clean image thing. They hip with that boring fking teen idol charade?
Last edited by Davros on Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Wed May 17, 2017 1:49 pm

And you judge, are judged, too.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm

There are poetry competitions, pumpkin growing comps, cake baking comps, whistling comps, frisbie comps etc etc etc. It's part of normal human expression. It's perfectly natural there would be surfing comps. Participation is not compulsory.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Davros wrote:....but does the average Pro?

The most eccentric people I meet are surfers. Some, a lot, live in a universe chusioned from the mind numbing servility of modern society. It's fantastic meeting some of these outrageous characters. It keeps me coming back. Sure there are Dick heads but on the whole I find most have an interesting story. Blokes who sell surfboards in retail surf shops eat shit for the most part and could be selling used cars.
My experience is that many professional surfers are pretty eccentric characters. But let's be straight up here. Somebody is paying them a god damn fortune to do what they are doing. They're totally happy to play that game.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Of course

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 pm

foamy wrote:There are poetry competitions, pumpkin growing comps, cake baking comps, whistling comps, frisbie comps etc etc etc. It's part of normal human expression. It's perfectly natural there would be surfing comps. Participation is not compulsory.
Yes. You are 100% correct. No doubt somewhere on our twisted planet someone is running the 'Biggest Swinging Dick' competition. The rules of who would win that contest are rather self explanatory unlike the crowning of the 'World Champion Surfer' although you have to suspect there might be a bit of cock measurement going down (ahem) in that judging realm too.
Storm that judges tower Toledo! You earned it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 17, 2017 3:03 pm

If you could colonise another planet would you breed out the competitive instinct A?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 17, 2017 3:11 pm

I still admire the staunch Australian rugby union players who for so long resisted the commoditization of a sport they played as amateurs in their spare time.

It caused a bit of an ongoing furore at the time
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Yeah those private school old boys really needed more money lol

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 17, 2017 3:31 pm

It was also played in just about every suburb in Sydney. Even I played it on Saturday mornings.

I do take your point though Beery
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed May 17, 2017 3:32 pm

let's try to think positive, pro surf fans! the swell's come up and we could be in for some finals action tonight.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Owen? That is sick

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed May 17, 2017 6:00 pm

carving it up like a credit card