Injuries Blog

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Re: Injuries Blog

Post by RickyG » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:58 am

A few cuts and minor reef injuries from my bodyboarding days but not much else.
I few years ago I bashed the soft bit on the inside of my right knee on the rail and it blew up and I could barely walk on it for a while. A few physio sessions and few weeks out of the water sorted it out.

Oh yeah, my ear canals are almost totally blocked so I'm heading for the drill before too long. That'll be fun
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 am

C4/5 damage after body slam on to a rock/reef in Sydney and also a cut head. Managed to not drown, walked to the car, couldn't get my wetsuit off due to nerve damage in my right arm. Somehow drove half way home, stopped and wife came and drove me straight to RNSH. Still in wetsuit in Emergency and then a code 2 due to my spinal injuries (missed the spinal ward by millimetres).

Operation, bolt in my neck, then neck brace for a couple of months and a year out of the water.

Plus numerous other sprains, tears and scars.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:21 am

Any of U know guys permanently out of the water with spine issues ?
I heard a few weeks back of a guy I know haven't seen for few yrs, his
Back is that bad he's out for good. One of the best surfer/snowboarders
To come out of the north coast. Was sponsored till late 30s, got a unit in jindy,
Always keen as. Now does nothing, poor bastard.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

Geez!
All I can boast, apart from a few stitches, is tearing the tendon completely off the bone on my left forearm.
Just from hanging on when I maybe should have let go in a hold down.
The tendon now resides snugly up near my bicep somewhere.
Pain like a deep bruise for about three months but I ain't gonna have it repaired.
Still have all the strength I need in that arm, fortunately.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

brendo wrote:Any of U know guys permanently out of the water with spine issues ?
I heard a few weeks back of a guy I know haven't seen for few yrs, his
Back is that bad he's out for good. One of the best surfer/snowboarders
To come out of the north coast. Was sponsored till late 30s, got a unit in jindy,
Always keen as. Now does nothing, poor bastard.
Check out Digger's posts.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Apart from numerous cuts and bruises.

Left shoulder. Arthritic AC joint, bone spur under acromion, chronic bursitis, and torn supraspinatus.
Two operations, painful rehab and eight months. Good as gold now.

Right shoulder will need to be done within a few years.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Fin chop through wettie into my left forearm. Small hole in wetsuit, but lots of blood. Trauma was fish-hook shaped so the flap was hanging free. 36 (?) external stitches and heaps more internal. Visible bone. Have a hernia there now, but causes no problem. Scar prominent, but doesn't tell the story of the day. No feeling for at least ten years until nerves slowly repaired. Same as right forearm by about year 15

Rail smash just under lower lip. Force was enough for it to go right through so you could see my teeth. Scar barely visible now even after shaving. Internal stitches gone within a couple of hours because I couldn't stop probing with my tongue. Left a raised scar that I'd frequently bite while eating. Hurt like fcuk when that happened and it'd bleed quite a bit. Barely raised now and haven't bitten it for 20 odd years

Torn medial ligament. MRI, but the surgeon reckoned it'd eventually come good without surgery. Pretty much has, but locks sometimes. Did the same thing to that knee when I was about 10. No surgery then either, but was in a tight full-length bandage and on crutches for a couple of weeks

Heaps of scrapes, small cuts etc. Ribs, concussions soft tissue. Worst relatively recently was getting smacked onto a rock hard bank from a barrel wipeout. Shoulder and head took the bank impact, but my elbow was tucked so that it went into my ribs. Thought I was gunna drown for sure after it because I could barely comprehend anything and I was caught inside winded as fcuk. Physio sorted the shoulder pretty quickly, but the ribs took weeks before I was comfortable

Worst urchin pierced my reef boot walking in at Cokes. Crew at the camp clear a path that you line up to walk in. On a solid day, it ain't easy to hold that line

mrs swvic would delight being in the tropics with me after any contact with reef. She'd always take a first aid kit and get off on pouring peroxide on me. I think she secretly wanted to stitch me up too, but never got the opportunity
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Ah yes. Urchins.
Two feet full at Norah Head in 1967.
Over 3 hours in Gosford Hospital having them dug out.

MorpheenO. :)
Beanpole

Skipper

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:48 pm

I got morph after the arm chop. Other than that, I've only had pethadeine. Sort of. Smoked some heroin once without knowing. _ _, you little cnut. Truth is, I enjoyed the feeling
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

They gave my brother pethadinein hospital when he was early teens.
Killed him. Took a full on code blue to bring him back.
Beanpole

Skipper

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:26 pm

DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG (83.57 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
This is what you wanted blood :-D-:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Haha. Wtf? How? When?
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Rustt wrote:DSC_0085.JPGThis is what you wanted blood :-D-:
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:26 pm

:lol: this thread is delivering
Sniff wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Salty, thats's my boy .
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
steve shearer wrote:booties are effing horrible.
Oh I hate them too. But I'm in the market for a pair. At the moment all I have are these clumsy too-high pair of okespors I got in France in '91

Anyone recommend a pair of booties that feel "invisible" ?
I bought a pair of the Xcell low cut reef boots because a cut on the side of my right toe would not heal and every time I surfed it would get bumped and open up again.
Was surprised how quickly I didn't notice them.
The only negative was the barrel lock on the pull cord that goes around the ankle, it doesn't hold the cord tight enough.
The Oneill version have a better barrel cord lock so I would recommend them.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:19 pm

/\ thanks . Will bite the bullet and get a pair. They're typically only around $50-$60 bucks. Beats carving your feet up on low tide rocks offs
Sniff wrote:

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Rustt wrote:DSC_0085.JPGThis is what you wanted blood :-D-:
Took a sucky drop and the board separated from my feet and flipped as I fell and copped the rail in line with the fin below my lip, scary all I saw was a flash of a fin in front of my eyes, it push my bottom lip into my mouth and over my teeth until the cut through to the outside. I was pretty relieved that I could not find a big hole, just heaps of blood. A guy I know drove me to emergency 40km away, they couldn't put stitches in as it wasn't cut it was crushed and they glued the holes where the teeth went through.
When my missus came in she just looked at me and asked if I had been beaten up :lol: everyone in there who new me pissed themselves. The wife just thought I had pushed the wrong guys buttons in the surf .
Last edited by Rustt on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.