Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Post by Drailed » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 am

What are they alluding to? He got bashed or something?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am

steve shearer wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're implying Nick.
I'm not implying anything. What you just wrote here about Rob Wright explaining to you is the first and only actual description of what occurred that I've seen publicly stated. I think it's a really big deal, this return to success for Owen, but it feels to me like it needs to be fully described for it to have the kind of resonance it deserves, and it totally hasn't been.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 am

Like, we need to understand it in order to fully grasp what he's done, for one thing. Does that make sense?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

And you might say "well where have you been on it you bludger", but I can't fcuken do everything, I can only do what I'm interested in at the time or I'd go mad.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am

To use the NFL example everybody now knows what type of brain injury and how it occurs, where as in this case people do not. It is a vague story of triumph over adversity.

I didn't give it much thought until people started texting that it was incredible to see Owen Wrights performance. But what exactly has he come back from? Is it that big a deal?
Last edited by Davros on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am

I'm not sure it's in the nature of brain injuries to ever really understand exactly what happened......they are a mystery bag, in terms of effects and recovery and prospects.\ We may not know enough about the human mind to really fully understand it.
Here's a great radio doco which describes an (AI professor) and his brain injury and his recovery from it...which took 8 years and involved some pretty amazing neuro-science to redevelop brain pathways which had been disrupted by the injury. He describes the loss of self and how this "ghost in the machine" - his mind, slowly returned to him.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... in/8139236
Maybe Owen doesn't have the erudition to fully describe this process, or maybe he isn't capable yet.
He looks recovered and he may well be fully recovered.

I think the biggest question marks will come when he goes back to the heavy reefs where the risk of re-injuring his brain might come to the fore.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:11 pm

And when he does will he wear a helmet? I hope not that's the major issue in NFL as it amplifies the shock to the brain.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Oh and I went back and watched the heat with KS and Medina, Gabriel's ride was clearly better, like obviously. Surfed closer to the lip in steeper parts of the wave throughout the ride. Kelly did a range of different turns but there was almost nothing critical about any of 'em, just a really well composed ride on an uneven wave. Numerous high scores that last day were well ahead of it, fcuk, Steph's 10 was better than both of 'em.

The judges want to see vertical turns in the steepest and most critical parts of the wave, that's how the goodies got the better scores at Snapper, they used their vertical turning advantage the same way as guys like KS and Andy etc were smashing the goofies on lefts a decade ago.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Oh and I went back and watched the heat with KS and Medina, Gabriel's ride was clearly better, like obviously. Surfed closer to the lip in steeper parts of the wave throughout the ride. Kelly did a range of different turns but there was almost nothing critical about any of 'em, just a really well composed ride on an uneven wave. Numerous high scores that last day were well ahead of it, fcuk, Steph's 10 was better than both of 'em.

The judges want to see vertical turns in the steepest and most critical parts of the wave, that's how the goodies got the better scores at Snapper, they used their vertical turning advantage the same way as guys like KS and Andy etc were smashing the goofies on lefts a decade ago.

I don't know if it is a bad sign that I agree so wholeheartedly with you or a good sign.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Stephs 10 should have been an 11.
Outstanding it was.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:Oh and I went back and watched the heat with KS and Medina, Gabriel's ride was clearly better, like obviously. Surfed closer to the lip in steeper parts of the wave throughout the ride. Kelly did a range of different turns but there was almost nothing critical about any of 'em, just a really well composed ride on an uneven wave. Numerous high scores that last day were well ahead of it, fcuk, Steph's 10 was better than both of 'em.

I don't know if it is a bad sign that I agree so wholeheartedly with you or a good sign.

medina's wave had to be a 1.17 points better. it wasn't that much better, surely?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Yep it was. Go have another look, and bear in mind what the judges are looking for, what they gave Steph a 10 for.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Yep it was. Go have another look, and bear in mind what the judges are looking for, what they gave Steph a 10 for.

Wilko's wave against JJF was a more critical wave, same amount of turns as Gabriel's. and wilko scored a 8.38. yet Gab got a 9.15?

i just didn't see a 9.15. mind you I thought Wilko's was a 7.5, too. I thought Kelly's wave was a high seven. say a 7.75 ... and Gab's had to be less than 8.38. So I'd have given him a 8.25.

therefore Kelly wins that heat and advances by over a half point.

thoughts?
Kunji wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Has anyone ridden or felt up the model Slater was riding?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm

way I see it, Kelly's whole surfing fundamentals have fallen apart.

Kelly rode 45 waves during his event. most of that in good to excellent Point surf and got one wave in the excellent range. One.
One out of 45.

Thats an unfathomable decline compared to the Slater of 4 years ago. Kelly circa 2013 would have been throwing away 9's.

The stats are telling the story of a surfer in steep decline.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Shit. That's pretty telling. I don't feel so bad now that I'm probably surfing the worst I ever have.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

But you ripped 4 years ago

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:00 pm

steve shearer wrote:way I see it, Kelly's whole surfing fundamentals have fallen apart.

Kelly rode 45 waves during his event. most of that in good to excellent Point surf and got one wave in the excellent range. One.
One out of 45.

Thats an unfathomable decline compared to the Slater of 4 years ago. Kelly circa 2013 would have been throwing away 9's.

The stats are telling the story of a surfer in steep decline.

I think the judging is on the decline.

Slater is still surfing good and passing the eye test. He wouldn't have made the qtrs, if not.

His boards might be a problem though...
Kunji wrote: