Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Snapper Quiky Pro 2017

Post by Beerfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm

You mentioned it

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Davros wrote:That sounds like a RS injury
Repetitive strain?
Asphyxiation is usually a one off. :-D-:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm

The only thing reported on Owen Wright is that he wasn't well at the Rip Curl House and then was taken to hospital. Apparently it was due to a two wave hold down so says the VP of communications from Rip Curl. I recall him having some issues prior accompanied with a loss in form. Make it up.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm

buddy wrote:
Davros wrote:That sounds like a RS injury
Repetitive strain?
Asphyxiation is usually a one off. :-D-:
Not if ya doing it correctly

jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 pm

the big O mystery. sounds like: song from the 90's sampled queen & bowie under pressure?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 am

Davros wrote:The only thing reported on Owen Wright is that he wasn't well at the Rip Curl House and then was taken to hospital. Apparently it was due to a two wave hold down so says the VP of communications from Rip Curl. I recall him having some issues prior accompanied with a loss in form. Make it up.
That's what I thought too. The pics of him on the podium, he looks ultra lean, like really lean. I guess he's 6'3" or something.

He's obviously alright now. Is Fiji on this year? Watched last year and he ripped, be good to see him do it again

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 am

Nick Carroll wrote:yes the bodyguards are necessary.

ask yourselves: has anybody coherently explained what happened to Owen in December 2015? I haven't got into this yet but it fascinates me. What is it he has actually recovered from?
An overzealous fan hugged him too hard - should have had security

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:yes the bodyguards are necessary.

ask yourselves: has anybody coherently explained what happened to Owen in December 2015? I haven't got into this yet but it fascinates me. What is it he has actually recovered from?

post concussion syndrome.

google Paul Kariya. A left wing for Anaheim in the NHL in the states... he went through the same thing. it's basically blood on the brain, and sometimes you lose function and motor skills for life from it. doctors can't tell or explain why some make a full recovery and others don't. although now seeing NFL and NHL players who have had it, watching them age, there is some sort of obvious brain scarring/ permanent side effects from it as they age.

actually, i googled for you ...

https://www.google.com.au/search?client ... syndrome&*
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 am

Hopefully he has no recurring issues and is 100%

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 am

the big risk, is receiving another knock after the first one.

there's no timeline either. there doesn't seem to be a medical difference in copping a knock 6 months, 6 years or 16 years after the first one. it can have a devastating effect.

i wonder if he'll wear a gath in the heavy events?
Kunji wrote:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 am

Is that why the judges scored Fannings insane barrel at 7.17 ... because they felt sorry for Owen ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 am

probably ... goofies were over scored all week long. rich porta actually said snapper is about progressive turns and not barrels.

imo, that's out of touch. who doesn't want a tube?
Kunji wrote:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

Brian Brainwave wrote:the big risk, is receiving another knock after the first one.

there's no timeline either. there doesn't seem to be a medical difference in copping a knock 6 months, 6 years or 16 years after the first one. it can have a devastating effect.

i wonder if he'll wear a gath in the heavy events?
I know about post concussion syndrome. But nobody has ever explained what actually happened that day. Owen seemingly can't remember, nobody seems to have seen anything. Nobody seems to have noticed anything at all till he got back to the house. There was no external sign of an impact with the reef or board. Post concussion syndrome usually follows a severe concussion involving unconsciousness etc - we've all seen what happens when you get knocked out on the reef at Pipe, you either drown or you're the subject of a very swift and intensive rescue effort. So yeah, what is he recovering from?

fcuk this isn't a question to be asking here, I'll go and ask everyone involved and report back.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 am

I'm not exactly sure what you're implying Nick.
Way Rob Wright explained it to me a wave detonated on him and the explosive force of the impact was enough to cause some kind of brain injury. It'll probably always be a mystery exactly what happened because O can't remember the details and no-one else saw it, or maybe they did but can't reconcile it as the cause of the injury.
But the simple fact of the brain injury seems straightforwards enough and unless you're prepared to countenance other possibilities for the injury I can't really see any fruitful lines of inquiry there.

I remember a wave detonated on me at Tallows and the impact smashed my head into the sandbar and almost scalped me. I have zero problem believing the simple force of an inside double up at Pipe being capable of causing brain trauma from water impact alone.

He might not have been knocked out or he might have had a micro loss of consciousness. Unless there's some compelling evidence to the contrary I think the official story is plausible enough for me. Too many people would need to be lying to believe otherwise.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

Vertical backhand snaps are not progressive. They've been around for yonks. They tick the commitment, speed and power boxes.
Brian Brainwave wrote:probably ... goofies were over scored all week long. rich porta actually said snapper is about progressive turns and not barrels.

imo, that's out of touch. who doesn't want a tube?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 am

steve shearer wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're implying Nick.
Way Rob Wright explained it to me a wave detonated on him and the explosive force of the impact was enough to cause some kind of brain injury. It'll probably always be a mystery exactly what happened because O can't remember the details and no-one else saw it, or maybe they did but can't reconcile it as the cause of the injury.
But the simple fact of the brain injury seems straightforwards enough and unless you're prepared to countenance other possibilities for the injury I can't really see any fruitful lines of inquiry there.

I remember a wave detonated on me at Tallows and the impact smashed my head into the sandbar and almost scalped me. I have zero problem believing the simple force of an inside double up at Pipe being capable of causing brain trauma from water impact alone.

He might not have been knocked out or he might have had a micro loss of consciousness. Unless there's some compelling evidence to the contrary I think the official story is plausible enough for me. Too many people would need to be lying to believe otherwise.

It seems completely plausible the story as it stands. Big pipe wipeout, brain injury.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

There was another suggestion made on swellnet.
No idea as to the veracity - the writer was a known forum trouble maker.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am

he didn't actually detail the allegation, just alluded to it.

Which is why I am very surprised to see Nick walking down that path, if that is what he means.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes