Hawaii or Costa Rica Mid April - Early May

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kulharin
Grommet

Hawaii or Costa Rica Mid April - Early May

Post by Kulharin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:31 am

I was thinking of taking a 2 week trip to Costa Rica or Hawaii mid April to early May... What is likely to be more consistent / better surf that time of year?

Costa Rica is a bigger pain to get to.

BA
Duke Status

Re: Hawaii or Costa Rica Mid April - Early May

Post by BA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 am

I was in Hawaii in May this year for two weeks. Very little surf, just windswell. Not really worth it if surfing is your priority.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 am

I figured April/May would still have some tapering off north swells, while the south swells started to move in? Is this not too common?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Not in the time I was there. I was on Oahu, Big Island and Kauai. Waikkiki had chest high stuff one day but it was pretty weak. BI had nothing. Kauai had waist to chest high waves but really close together windswell. South swell is probably your best hope, but dunno how frequent it is.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:20 am

Anyone else care to chip in? The ski season in Canada ends mid April, after which I am hoping to jump into the warm water with some good waves... Hawaii is certainly easier/quicker to get to... Looking at seasonal forecast Nicoya appears to be a lot more consistent that time of year?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 am

Where do you reckon storms will be in the Pacific that time of year, Arctic or Antarctic?
I reckon a little of both but nothing epic. But it could surprise you. Something big could happen either way that time of year.
Oahu and Kauai would have the biggest exposure to the widest swell angle ,along with dependable tradewind daily surfable slop options.
I've been to both, numerous times.
If it was me I'd go the Sandwich Islands.
Wish Steve was here to contribute.

It's a win/win though Cullhairbrain, either choice will be a great experience.
lucky barstard
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 am

I've spent March/April in the islands, nice big clean swells, May is probably outside the window.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 am

So that time of year my best bet would Oahu and Kauai over Maui or the Big Island... does Maui and Big Island not activate much with smaller south swells?

Also, is the vehicle traffic on Oahu bad year-round?

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Traffic is horrendo.

As soon as the triple crown finishes

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am

That's unfortunate, bummer that the island with the most consistent and accessible surf has by far the most people. I've visited Kauai and Maui in November; fun waves though I feel Maui would be more appealing during big south swells as every night and day it was blasting trade winds from the NE while I was there. Big Island I'd love to visit but I hear accessible quality breaks are few.

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 am

the BI has great waves, probably not on the level of some of the other islands but still pretty awesome. Picks up plenty of south swell- I won't name breaks but Puna side has a couple of good spots as does south kona side.

Traffic isn't something you need to worry about, that's for sure!
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 am

I opted for Costa Rica; surf looks more consistent that time of year and it was also a bit cheaper and easier for me to fly to Liberia then Hawaii from Canada that time of year... flight options were pretty much limited to Oahu late April - early May. And Car rentals + the mandatory insurance are also much cheaper in Costa Rica. (1/3 of the cost)

I'd fly out of Canada on April 17th "just after Easter" and fly back on April 29th; giving me 11 days that I will likely spend along the Nicoya Peninsula. This is my first trip to Costa Rica!

On average does Hawaii have more consistent surf mid October over April? As that would be my next opportunity for a trip. And if I opted for October, which island would you suggest? Hopefully there are more flight options then!

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 am

I'll likely book a trip to Hawaii mid-late October. Oahu and Maui are easy enough to fly too... I have time off in September but the weather is too nice in the pacific northwest that time of year to need to go somewhere hot... I may take a drive down along the coast to California in September.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:40 am

You're going to have a good time down in CR.
Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet setup Kulharin.
marauding mullet wrote:

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm

With 11 days on the Nicoya should I invest more time at one location over another?

I'd like to visit Brasilito / Playa Flamingo, Play grande, Tamarindo, Play Langosta, Avellana, Play Negra, Junquilal, Ostional, Nosara / Playa Guiones, Playa Coyote, Santa Theresa and Mal Pais... where would it be wise to spend 2-3 days/nights? I figured multi days/nights would be best for the Nosara and Mal Pais / Santa Theresa area?

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm

So I had tentatively booked 1 night in Playa grande, 3 nights in Junquillal, 3 nights in Nosara and 3 nights in Malpais... though I am thinking of dropping the Malpais portion of the trip and staying in Nosara or maybe 3 nights in Marbella... Looking at the distance between Malpais and Nosara is over 4 hours and apparently the road is very gnarly... It would also mean my last day there I'd have to drive from Malpais back north for my final night closer to Liberia as my flight would leave very early... Would Malpais/Santa Teresa be worth the drive from Nosara for 3 days/3 nights and then the long drive back, or should I invest the additional days where I'm already at?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 pm

I liked Nosara / Playa Guiones. Playa Grande/ Tamarindo not as much -- Playa Negra's a better call in that area IMO.
Didn't get down to Mal Pais either.
Relax and enjoy.
Pura Vida is still going strong in CR.
marauding mullet wrote:

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 am

Ok thanks... The long range weather forecast beyond Easter (while still a long ways off and prolly subject to change) looks like I'll be rolling in at the beginning throws of the wet season, calling for a chance of afternoon thunderstorms over a number of days and slightly cooler temperatures. Is that generally a good or bad thing for the wind and swell?