Someone Take out Tim Bailey

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

a l e x

Someone Take out Tim Bailey

Post by a l e x » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:38 am

I surf Curly all the time - 3/4 times a week at least and I have never seen it as packed as it was this weekend, what happened? well i reckon it had something to do with old mate Tim Bailey on the news saying Curly was going to be the pick for the weekend, we already have enough people at Curly surfing every week without this idiot telling the rest of the country to get down there. I know that Curly is no secret spot, but please don't promote it any more than is needed.
Thats my rant for the day...

blindboy

Post by blindboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:45 am

I happened to be down that way about seven o'clock last night and my estimate was well over a hundred in the water, probably closer to two hundred. I stood and watched for about fifteen minutes from a spot where I could see the whole beach.....didn't see one well surfed wave, saw five thousand drop ins.....that's the future unless locals start to take a bit more control.

Personally, I wouldn't have paddled out, there were so many completely out of control kooks trying to take off on bumpy sucky three foot waves it just wasn't worth the risk...man they were all out there;Brazilian beginners, steroid monkeys, barbie clones, Japanese jerks, Pymble pricks, the Mosman malibu club oh and maybe a couple of locals freaking out at the horror of it all!

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:06 am

blindboy, unless 'locals' start buyin rocket lauchers and A-K's and start booby trappin the carparks, the have got nooooooo hope at makin any sort of impact whatsoever. if you forgot, 5 MILLION + people live in the sydney area, 1/4 of all the people in australia!!!!!! so to even imagine that a few hundred dudes at best, gettin all agro and stuff, will make even the slightest difference to anything is a classic. the only effective thing you can do to make your surf time less crowded is move away from sydney.
and alex, i know tim bailey is a total nob jockey, but to think that his kook report makes much difference is givin the idiot waaay to much cred, curly had a zillion guys out the other day because the surf has been sh#t for TWO MONTHS now, not because the blonde gimp to everyone to go there.............

stuey

Post by stuey » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:08 am

Blindboy, with yar previous rant you have just endeared yaself to me. hehehhe Nubby, try 20 million where I live and imagine the nightmare.

Myrtle Tickner

Post by Myrtle Tickner » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:09 am

i surfed curly 4 times this past weekend & yeah it was crowded, but i had problem getting waves at all. there were alot of people sitting around doing nothing (i have never understood this).

blindboy

Post by blindboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:12 am

nubby the sensationof powerlessness in the face of change is an early symptom of mental ill health!

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:18 am

Mate

It's happening everywhere - not only in Sydney - at my local on Saturday morning at 6.30 there were 20 in the water another 20 in the carpark - I'm suspecting that the Cliff Road closure at Coalcliff has a lot to do with it - as I've never seen half of the clowns on longboard ever before - Campbelltowners I presume??

But heh - we just got back in the car and drove another 10 k south and surfed same conditions, bigger size with a dozen others.

toot

Post by toot » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:24 am

I counted 170 along curly at 8.50 on Saturday. Having said that there was no problem getting waves as 80% of the punters have no idea.

Wait till it gets 6' plus!! Even less problem.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:25 am

f#@k stu, 20 mill......thats intense

and myrtle....thats the famous 'tea bag syndrome'.....how funny is it.

and blindo.....no "mental ill health" over here. and i sure dont feel a "sensation of powerlessness", crowds at my local f#@K me off too dude, but most are just marshmallow heads and are pretty easy to stay one step ahead of. i find crew are way easier to snake and handle drop-ins off you heaps better when you are still cool to em in between waves........

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:40 am

blindboy wrote:I happened to be down that way about seven o'clock last night and my estimate was well over a hundred in the water, probably closer to two hundred. I stood and watched for about fifteen minutes from a spot where I could see the whole beach.....didn't see one well surfed wave, saw five thousand drop ins.....that's the future unless locals start to take a bit more control.

Personally, I wouldn't have paddled out, there were so many completely out of control kooks trying to take off on bumpy sucky three foot waves it just wasn't worth the risk...man they were all out there;Brazilian beginners, steroid monkeys, barbie clones, Japanese jerks, Pymble pricks, the Mosman malibu club oh and maybe a couple of locals freaking out at the horror of it all!
I was down at Freshy for a swim, but saw there was a bit of surf so went out for a paddle. It was bizzarre how crowded it was. No hope whatsoever of riding a wave. I watched the right hander under the cliff from the beach, there were a few waves getting ridden but most of the time there were three people up and the two on the outside were straightlining down the face towards the beach. If a decent surfer got up on the outside they'd get a run for a few metres or so before someone else would drop in or a million swimmers and paddlers would be in the way and they'd have to bail before hitting someone.

The thing is, if people are straightlining why don't they go up and surf the closeout. Maybe it is time to start designating sections of the beach for experienced surfers only. I don't believe in restricting to locals or only the highly experienced, but people that know how to bottom turn and at least trim along the face and understand the drop in rule and also know how to duck dive a 3' wave without having to ditch their board. I don't mind competing for waves, but there's not much point if on every wave you manage to snag you've got three straightlining drop-inners and 50 board ditchers to dodge.

whackenauffe

Post by whackenauffe » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:40 am

I'm suspecting that the Cliff Road closure at Coalcliff has a lot to do with it - as I've never seen half of the clowns on longboard ever before - Campbelltowners I presume??

i dont fully understand the campbelltowners comment. Are u saying that all campbeltowners ride longboards or that campbeltowners dont have a right to enjoy the beach.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:51 am

this flat spell has just fried crews brains.....give us some swell and all these posts about begginers, or curly or whatever will disappear.......cause when its big, there are no kooks(well not as many) and no one surfs curly.

blindboy

Post by blindboy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:21 am

I know that most of the crowd are kooks and I've had some really good sesions on days that looked absurdly crowded from the beach but what I saw last night was bizarre......and while surfing is a low injury sport it only takes one kook. Last year some geek dropped in on me and jumped off the back of his board propelling it nose first towards me, I blocked most of the force with my hand and ended up with a hairline fracture there but it went on to hit me in the ribs, drew blood through my wetsuit and left me with bruised ribs and unable to surf for a week!

Buzzy made a good point in the other thread I think, that most of these people just don't care about being kooks, all they want is a splash and a bit of "fun".....

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:23 am

nubby wrote:this flat spell has just fried crews brains.....give us some swell and all these posts about begginers, or curly or whatever will disappear.......cause when its big, there are no kooks(well not as many) and no one surfs curly.
Yeah, but curly can be a top spot when there's not much swell about. It catches a lot of waves and has some nice shallow banks that can add a bit of drive to small 2' - 4' swell.

:? I paddled out there one winter morning years ago in really well lined up 6 to 8' ground swell that was closing out. There was no-one out there and I saw one wave in 8 or so do a really fast barrel instead of closing out and so thought it might be worth the effort. Literally paddled for 20 minutes to get out the back (paddling out through closeout after closeout). I don't know why I didn't just give up straight away, but if you start to paddle out you feel like a piker if you head back towards the beach without making it out the back. Got out there and then waited for ages to get a wave that didn't close out and I was in position for. Got one really fast wave that was alright but shut down on me fairly quickly, turned around and started paddling back out again under another closeout and gave up and headed in. The wave was alright, but definitely wasn't worth it ... geez I was swearing as I was paddling out the first time. One of those days where you don't want the ocean to win so you doggedly go on even though you know its pointless ...

fletch
regular

Post by fletch » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:38 am

Was doing some work at North Sydney yesterday so my mate and I ended up going out Bondi in the afternoon.

oh my god!

I thought I was going to be killed. Just as I paddled out the set came thru and about 30 people an arms length apart started paddling for the 1st wave of the set. I sat up and watched, in the hope that I could judge the movement of these clowns and avoid total destruction. By some miracle I did.

I was sitting out there and it was pretty scary. I'm trying to remember but I think it was the worse I've ever seen it. At one stage I had to ditch when an out of control braziliian on a mal gunned me down. I watched his board go straight over the the top of me. Again by some miracle my board was not dinged and he came up rubbing his head.

But that's Bondi so wadda ya expect. I'm surprised to hear it was just as bad on the northern beaches.

Roll on winter.

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:40 am

stuey wrote:Blindboy, with yar previous rant you have just endeared yaself to me. hehehhe Nubby, try 20 million where I live and imagine the nightmare.
:lol: stuey, I've seen some pretty classic photos from where you are. Like one where there are about 200 ppl all taking off on the same closeout. Another one where there are 50 guys waiting for waves at dawn and it's dead flat with absolutely no hope of a rideable wave coming... They're surf CRAZY over there it seems!

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:09 pm

Whack enough

I'm not saying that ALL Campbelltowners ride longboards (most do) or that they're not entitled to a beach.

Campbelltown is 30 or so km west and nowhere near a beach - I think they used to surf in the National Park or Stanwell Park somewhere - but now they're all coming to my local which IS pissing me of a bit.

Perhaps Tim Bailey could do a weather show in Campbelltown and open up a wave pool???

philw
Local

Post by philw » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:06 pm

bondi was crazed yesterday. 200 people? maybe more? and about 2 rideable waves every 10mins. unbelievable. still, the best surfers got the best rides. and i saw a mal rider (surprise! he could surf!) get a real nice barrel. but for the rest of us stuck in the middle of the food chain it was utter misery. bring on the onshores, cold rain and lumpy 4-5ft swell. perfect conditions for bondi.