Volume calculator for landlocked surfers - funshape

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kulharin
Grommet

Volume calculator for landlocked surfers - funshape

Post by Kulharin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:27 am

I notice surfboard calculators out there are pretty much for short boards or fishes. Not for long boards, hybrids or fun shapes. I have spent a lot of time previously surfing consistently and I can surf well enough; at my local breaks I find I am one of the higher tier surfers for catching and riding waves, top 20% I guess? ... problem is I am landlocked now and live 10 hours away from the waves. When I go surfing it is usually for 5-10 days at a time, but that only happens every two months or so Spring-Fall on average, and rarely in the winter as I live in the mountains. As such I can't really maintain or improve my paddling strength or endurance, which is always a rude awakening after being out of the water for extended periods.

Whenever I try to volume calculators that surprise me by giving a pretty low number (30L around), which may make sense to a consistent surfer who lives near waves and rides a short board. I want a fun, manoeuvrable board that going to help me out a lot with paddling.

I am 5'11 and weigh 180. I was targeting a 6'8" x 21" x 2 3/4" with a full nose and rounded tail... and that puts me around 42-43L ...

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Re: Volume calculator for landlocked surfers - funshape

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:30 am

if you don't comply with the protocols provided to you by the wave the calculator when getting your next board there will be dire consequences

Beerfan

Re: Volume calculator for landlocked surfers - funshape

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:24 pm

They always recommend 40 litres or something for me. But I'm over 35 and 85kg+.

Fun manouverable board with lots of paddling? Sweet potato. I have a 5'4" and it paddles very easily and is skatey. Mines not a FireWire though it's very similar dimensions to a FireWire which is 35 litres