WTF! Shark attack insurance (no, really)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

chrisb
Owl status

WTF! Shark attack insurance (no, really)

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:13 am

I thought that I had heard it all but in the latest WTF news an Insurance company for a premium of $130 a year is offering coverage of $50,000 for any surfer killed in a shark attack (source: todays Manly Daily, page 5).

Sounds like a sure-fire way for an insurance company to collect premiums knowing that will never have to pay out. They probably wouldnt insure for a person to be killed by lightning though because that is much riskier.

aaarating
regular

Re: WTF! Shark attack insurance (no, really)

Post by aaarating » Sun May 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Like all insurance policies theres probably a heap of conditional exclusions like not being in water before dawn/after dusk, no surfing near baitfish schools, not pissing in wetsuit and it doesn't cover attack from whites, tigers, whalers and bulls. Just the ferocious Port Jackson.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun May 01, 2016 6:28 pm

In event of a shark attack, I reckon you should be able to at least claim the ding repair.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun May 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Apparently the policy will provide surfers with "peace of mind" and that "makes a big difference".

To what I really have no idea.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon May 02, 2016 7:37 am

My reading is that the payment is made only if you are killed by a shark. Horrific injuries don't qualify.

Let's assume that there are just 100,000 surfers in Australia who pay the $130 premium then that's $13,000,000 revenue. How many fatal shark attacks were there last year in Australia, 1, 2? Even if it was 10 the insurance company scores a $12,500,000 surplus. Good little earner for them.

..........................BTW, some guy was in fact killed by lightning yesterday.