Another pointless volume thread/rambling

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Another pointless volume thread/rambling

Post by Beerfan » Sun May 08, 2016 2:40 pm

So I surfed head high waves twice this week, first with decent push, second time more full. Had fun but both days were a bit of a paddle. Fitness is everything in surfing. Blow to the ego. I'll stick to my bigger boards for a while.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 pm

This is my mates board: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bardwell ... 1109003852

He could do you a deal - and might be able to bring it down. Bonzer egg would be bloody good for what you are after. Do you want to come borrow my hull for a bit?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Bonzer egg is on the list of "must try" boards but I'm not cashed up at the moment. Id have to sell a board but don't have any I want to let go. Funny, my smallest board, the jd, is actually easier to paddle than my bigger boards. The lightness just makes it so easy, specially in beachies. Never been a great duck diver and just the thought of putting my right knee into a board hurts. I did half fluke it with my left leg not long ago, might be worth repeating.

Mate, I love the idea of the hull but in all honesty id just end up frustrated by my lack of ability to ride it haha.

I'll just keep getting wet as often as possible. Port was pretty good last week. Stoked the fire. Once my fitness goes up things will be better.

Bought the tarago yet?!

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Beerfan wrote:Bonzer egg is on the list of "must try" boards but I'm not cashed up at the moment. Id have to sell a board but don't have any I want to let go. Funny, my smallest board, the jd, is actually easier to paddle than my bigger boards. The lightness just makes it so easy, specially in beachies. Never been a great duck diver and just the thought of putting my right knee into a board hurts. I did half fluke it with my left leg not long ago, might be worth repeating.

Mate, I love the idea of the hull but in all honesty id just end up frustrated by my lack of ability to ride it haha.

I'll just keep getting wet as often as possible. Port was pretty good last week. Stoked the fire. Once my fitness goes up things will be better.

Bought the tarago yet?!
Got a Hyundai imax - one week to go... :(
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm

To add a bit of rambling to this rambling thread: It's funny but I re-visited the Miller v-skate board experience this past week.
I had a v-skate as a one board quiver for 2 years and of course rode it in everything.
So I picked up one at a really fair price from Gumtree to ride one again.
A lot of water has passed under the bridge and the board was a bit dissapointing in the paddling dept. Even more so when I paddled for waves.
I'm just so used to boards that paddle in early and plane into waves with ease that I found the Miller made me get to my feet frustratingly late.
Now I'm 10 years older than when I took delivery of the first v-skate and so no doubt my pop up has declined some.
It also showed me how much more choice there is out there nowadays to the Miller experience.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 10, 2016 6:29 pm

Cuttle could you rate your boards according to paddleability?

I'd be interested.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue May 10, 2016 7:08 pm

I could but I've got my faves for the points and then my faves for the beachies.
The points boards are longer and so paddle across the flats nice and easily while planing into waves early because there's usually a crowd factor involved and I'd rather sit outside further and wait for larger set waves than jockey in the midst of the crew that can be predominantly 20-30 years my jr. I don't really enjoy hassling for waves though I can if I feel like it. Mostly I can't be bothered.
I'll happily give up a degree of manouvreability to sit further out...so I'm picking my 7' Matt Wilkerson bonzer diamond tail (but closest to a CB egg planshape), Woosley 7'6" vquad or 8' Modern blackhawk which is ridiculously easy to sit outside and glide into waves on.
Beachies my DVS 6' wasp is a sheer revelation in foam under my chest distribution for a board that paddles like a canoe in the flats but also paddles into waves so well a steeper drop is easy for me. My over-sized McNeill cv2 (even at 6'6") does paddle well but can't compete with the DVS for ease of wave catching, so the cv2 I tend to ride when its more solid to enjoy its longer rail line.
It all depends upon the tide, swell direction and period as to which boards I take to surf. I tend to take 2-3 since I have a van with racks inside and so plenty of room.
My other boards are kind of neglected atm so I'll leave them out of the comparo. However they all are pretty good paddlers/wave catchers.
I've also dropped from 92-95 kgs to 84-86kgs so some of the boards in the sub 7' range I have are having a rest.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:To add a bit of rambling to this rambling thread: It's funny but I re-visited the Miller v-skate board experience this past week.
I had a v-skate as a one board quiver for 2 years and of course rode it in everything.
So I picked up one at a really fair price from Gumtree to ride one again.
A lot of water has passed under the bridge and the board was a bit dissapointing in the paddling dept. Even more so when I paddled for waves.
I'm just so used to boards that paddle in early and plane into waves with ease that I found the Miller made me get to my feet frustratingly late.
Now I'm 10 years older than when I took delivery of the first v-skate and so no doubt my pop up has declined some.
It also showed me how much more choice there is out there nowadays to the Miller experience.
Funny you say that, because I think the same about my V-skate even though it's 7'
He describes the V-skate as relatively low rocker, but I find it not a great paddler. It is however a dream for late bowly take-offs and bottom turns. Bogs easily on dead sections too. The 6'7" F-skate he made me solves those problems in spades, so it's horses for courses on the day.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue May 10, 2016 9:33 pm

The v-skate was a 6'11" fyi.
The old v-skate was 6'8".
I'd just sold a 6'9" (said 7' on the stringer) Pyzel slab which was really similar in its paddling performance but so much better when on the wave.
So when the Miller didn't make life easier catching waves I wasn't going to keep it.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 11, 2016 6:05 am

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Bonzer egg is on the list of "must try" boards but I'm not cashed up at the moment. Id have to sell a board but don't have any I want to let go. Funny, my smallest board, the jd, is actually easier to paddle than my bigger boards. The lightness just makes it so easy, specially in beachies. Never been a great duck diver and just the thought of putting my right knee into a board hurts. I did half fluke it with my left leg not long ago, might be worth repeating.

Bought the tarago yet?!
I'd get an iMax. In laws have driven theirs all over the place with no issues.

Good luck and enjoy the new one. I reckon with 3 already you're already busy enough that it won't be a big adjustment

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 am

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:

Bought the tarago yet?!

Good luck and enjoy the new one. I reckon with 3 already you're already busy enough that it won't be a big adjustment
Yeah the van is cool - i can fit boards in the boot! All good with no4 - sleep is overrated.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 11, 2016 1:01 pm

Lol

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Tue May 31, 2016 10:57 am

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:

Bought the tarago yet?!

Yeah the van is cool - i can fit boards in the boot! All good with no4 - sleep is overrated.
Second a van is cool - now the kids can't reach each other the fight and could still get four boards in the one we got!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 am

Haha. I'd get one for sure but after towing the caravan with our X trail our next car will be a Isuzu mux or similar. Need more torque !

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 am

Beerfan wrote:Haha. I'd get one for sure but after towing the caravan with our X trail our next car will be a Isuzu mux or similar. Need more torque !
Only a true man can drive a (mini)van! :d :-o

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue May 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Diesel. Or a Tesla, I guess

StayPuft

Post by StayPuft » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Beerfan wrote: Millers look good too, v skate could work well.
I'm a bit late into this, but I have a v-skate, 6'4" x 20" x 2 9/16". It's pretty knocked about which is why I don't sell it. I figure I'll keep it in case I find myself recovering from an injury, or I need a board for a visiting friend or something. But I never surf it any more and it's just sitting there. I'd be happy to loan it for as long as you wanted. It'll only keep on sitting around otherwise. It's fundamentally a good board, I reckon. You definitely don't get that glide that you get when paddling a 7'+ midlength, but it's plenty of volume.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:29 pm

What do you think of the V-skate? Have been thinking of one or something like it, just to try something different to my current McCoy Nugget (need a high vol cos I'm fat and unfit and irregular), something with the foam forward not in the tail.