West Coast South America

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

stylefirst
barnacle

West Coast South America

Post by stylefirst » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Whos been?..

Who hasn't?..

Must do's?..

Must Dont's?..

Heading there on a little trip in the not too distant future and wouldnt mind getting all your hot tips on the west coast...

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: West Coast South America

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Yeah went to Chile, Peru, Ecuador this year.

Learn Spanish, it will save you a lot of trouble and money. Go to Machu Picchu, touristy but well worth it.

Don't go to Huanchaco in Peru, it's shithouse.

Goofy or natural?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 pm

I did a big trip 4 years ago including the Galapagos, Easter Island, Atacama, and Patagonia.

Agree about learning Spanish - once you leave the main tourist areas very few people speak English. Even in some tourist areas not all hospitality staff can communicate in English.

Machu Picchu is an oxygen-depleting 12,000 feet above sea level. Acclimatise first and drink plenty of coca tea. But the place is magical, don't miss it. Nearby Cusco and Olytytambo are a good sampler prior to MP. The train journey from Cusco to MP is also a good option.

There are plenty of waves at the major population centres such as Lima (Miraflores) and further away places such as the Galápagos Islands and Easter Island. The Chilean desert coast has plenty of waves too but I only saw those from the plane.

How much time do you have and how much money can you spend? Buses are cheaper but take a long time, planes are quick but can be expensive, drive cars at your own risk.

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 pm

El Rancho im a goofy footer my man, really looking forward to the Peruvian point breaks!
Did you guys learn Spanish before you left? I know the basics for travellers but want to do an intense course when i get there...

Work is on hiatus and im taking a fair wad with me, this is my sabbatical... No real plans, just having a long look around...

Looking to score some leg burning lefts though!...

All the touristy things are on the agenda, but scoring waves is my priority. Did either of you boys surf Lobitos, Cabo Blanco, Chicama or Pacasmayo?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:09 pm

I surfed lobitos. Go there definitely. Didn't get big enough swell for chicama and heard from another Aussie I met over there it was a circus anyway.

Chile has good lefts but it's a trek down there. Less crowded in chile too although it's more expensive. I didn't know any Spanish, my wife knew enough to get by but she's a tad shy. Spanish is good because you can bargain for better prices in accomodation etc.

You'll have a good time, everyone is pretty relaxed, it's safer than you think unless you're in a dodgy spot in Lima.
Bolivia is supposedly really good too, landlocked but cool stuff to see. We didn't make it there.
South America is a really big place so be prepared for long bus rides.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:02 pm

I didn't surf those places you mentioned but those Chilean lefts sound like the waves a goofy footer would thrive on. The Miraflores area of Lima is safe to stay in and there are plenty of beach break waves there (It's where former world champ Sofia Mulanovich comes from).

Definitely learn as much Spanish as you can.

I recommend Bolivia for the salt flats and volcanos. Also it's capital La Paz with its dramatic backdrop is worth a visit. Try the Witches market for cheap souvenirs. If you really want to take a risk/thrill try the unofficial tour of San Pedro Prison. Suggest you read "Marching Powder" before you go.

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:12 pm

chrisb wrote:If you really want to take a risk/thrill try the unofficial tour of San Pedro Prison. Suggest you read "Marching Powder" before you go.
Read and loved the book! Definately on the list of things to do!..

Thanks for the tips boys and ill keep you updated...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:12 pm

stylefirst wrote:
chrisb wrote:If you really want to take a risk/thrill try the unofficial tour of San Pedro Prison. Suggest you read "Marching Powder" before you go.
Read and loved the book! Definately on the list of things to do!..

Thanks for the tips boys and ill keep you updated...
Looking forward to hearing all about it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 pm

Planning a trip to Easter Island and the Galapagos in July, with a little time in mainland Chile.
Will have about a month all up.

Started Spanish classes this week.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 am

alakaboo wrote:Planning a trip to Easter Island and the Galapagos in July, with a little time in mainland Chile.
Will have about a month all up.

Started Spanish classes this week.

Nice mate. Was in galapagos and chile the end of 2015. If you have the money, travel to a few islands in the galapagos. You dive? There is excellent diving everywhere. I went to a site where there were scores of hammerheads and whitetips. The main island you fly into is santa cruz. You will want to stay in puerto ayora. Plenty places to launch their. Cool little fishing town where sea lions sunning themselves on the sidewalks. You can hike nearby to beaches and see marine iguanas swimming in thr sea and giant frigates roosting in the scrub. Magical place.

Chile was great too. Probably the richest country in south America. We only stayed in santiago and valparaiso. Valparaiso is one of the best towns ive eber been to. Murals cover almost every building in the port town. Its where all the pollies and heads of state live. Its an artist town full of music and people debating politics in the cobblestone streets outside delicious eateries. Nearby renaca beach is good for waves too. Cant suggest it enough!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:18 am

Awesome, thanks Kunji.

I do dive but prefer snorkelling. The wife dives more, and the kids snorkel.

We are planning on a 6-8 day cruise in the Galapagos, last minute booking once we get there because the gringo tax for advanced bookings is hectic.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Yep youll score doing that. The giant tortoises are a site to see man. Also, no one told me, but its $US125 per person for Australians to enter Chile payable as you walk off the plane. Robbery.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.