Cheap tide watch?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Gumby
regular

Cheap tide watch?

Post by Gumby » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:11 am

Any decent tide watches out there that don't cost a fortune?
Looking for one for a present for a 12 year old. Doesn't have to be the fanciest thing or have actual beaches & times (ala' Rip Curl watches), but even if its one of those basic ones with the tide graphic indicating high and low, he'll be stoked to have his own proper surf watch.
I see Casio may have them, but hard to find a model that isn't a G-Shock (too chunky), or a Baby G (sh1t name that he won't want to wear).
I think the cheapest Rip Curl have is $180. Aiming for more around the $100 mark, perhaps less if there are post-Xmas sales on.

Any recommendations appreciated.

cheers

ctd
barnacle

Re: Cheap tide watch?

Post by ctd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm

In a moment of weakness I bought a tide watch from surfstich at 70% off a while ago (quiksilver addictive). But it's not very good:

- the tide graphic is too small to read with any accuracy
- I push the wrong buttons all the time, it's very counter intuitive in terms of the user interface.
- it's way too big to sit comfortably on my wrist (and I'm 6'3)

Some of these are watch specific, but the size of the tide graphic will be the same on all. And almost all of these type is watches are physically huge.

My suggestion is to get a smallish water proof watch (baby g shock size) and a tide timetable

Otherwise keep an eye on catch of the day or surfstich or similar sites.

Gumby
regular

Post by Gumby » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Cheers CTD.

I saw some pretty good deals on ex-display rip curl watches on ebay, but I've also noticed quite a few bad reviews online for their various models. I was actually looking at getting one myself as well. I have one of the now extinct RC Mavericks tide watches which I've had for 6 years and it's been great. Few signs of old age (sticky buttons and a few dodgy pixels), but otherwise going strong. My only concern for the more modern watches is the durability of the bands. My current one has the super tough material (can't corrode) band which loops continuously through the watch frame (no pins), and has the 2 metal loops at the buckle to fasten it. Why they ditched that approach I'll never know, as there is surely no more reliable way to keep the watch on your arm.

I saw some cheap Nixon's, but know nothing about them.
Maybe Casio is the reliable option.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 pm

The one I have does have a good casing. Single piece (bands and all) with the watch itself screwed into the casing. Good solid straps. It's $80 on the quiksilver website, my issues with it aren't build quality but how useful it is. Then again, maybe I just need to read the manual a few more times

But given you can get the tide from downloading the tide chart onto a phone, or from a variety of apps or websites, I'm just not sure how often a tide watch is actually useful. I only wear it to tell the time and it does that well enough and is built for salt water; but it is a bit big as mentioned.

Still, for $80 it may be reasonable and will last.