Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:08 pm

Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:58 pm
kelly's wave sure has given us a lot more footage of surf journos surfing than we've ever had before.
Did any surf journo surprise or delight you Al?

It all seemed pretty meat and potatoes to me. Very little flamboyance or style.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:21 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51 am
The inside of his garage.

Nick what was the best question you asked/most surprising answer?
I asked Noah Grimmett, who is basically the overseer of the project and has been with it the whole time, if there was a moment he thought the pool would never happen, and he said yes. They worked on it for nearly 10 years, surfing technology from USC and other places and hand building parts when they couldn't get them. They built a series of models and got one to work, then built a full size dummy run, and it didn't work. Finally, Kelly was pretty much done with it; it's never gonna happen, he said to Noah and the team, we've spent millions, maybe we should just pull the plug now before we waste any more money. They convinced him they could fix the issues and suggested he just go away and not think about it for a while, put it out of his mind and come back in six months. When he came back, they pulled a wave for him, and his reaction is what you saw in that first video of the Pool, the one they released at the end of 2015, where he's laughing and clapping his hands. It's not staged, it's real.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm

so kelly didn't invent it after all? ripped off!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:34 pm

from now on it's going to be noah grimmett's wave company in my mind.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:08 pm
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:58 pm
kelly's wave sure has given us a lot more footage of surf journos surfing than we've ever had before.
Did any surf journo surprise or delight you Al?

It all seemed pretty meat and potatoes to me. Very little flamboyance or style.
notice they're all "regular" footers. it's a dead give-away, a sign of the times: surf journalism is in a sorry state indeed.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:39 pm

you didn't get invited did you steve? no. that's because you're a "goofy" foot and you speak your mind.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:21 pm
alakaboo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51 am
The inside of his garage.

Nick what was the best question you asked/most surprising answer?
I asked Noah Grimmett, who is basically the overseer of the project and has been with it the whole time, if there was a moment he thought the pool would never happen, and he said yes. They worked on it for nearly 10 years, surfing technology from USC and other places and hand building parts when they couldn't get them. They built a series of models and got one to work, then built a full size dummy run, and it didn't work. Finally, Kelly was pretty much done with it; it's never gonna happen, he said to Noah and the team, we've spent millions, maybe we should just pull the plug now before we waste any more money. They convinced him they could fix the issues and suggested he just go away and not think about it for a while, put it out of his mind and come back in six months. When he came back, they pulled a wave for him, and his reaction is what you saw in that first video of the Pool, the one they released at the end of 2015, where he's laughing and clapping his hands. It's not staged, it's real.
Yeah!

Thanks.
I'm far more interested in the how and why than the thing itself.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:29 pm

NC,
After this weeks personal acceptance of your mortality thanks to the exceptional big wave events that were experienced , are you sure you didn't avail yourself to the services of the water safety crew in the waste water settlement pond.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am
alakaboo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 am
Nick you answered the most common questions, but what was the best question you've been asked about the surf ranch?

Roughly 5 minutes between waves does my head in. That kills almost all commercial applications.
Nobody's asked me a really great question about it yet. I think because it's all so new to us, everyone just wants to know basic stuff.

And yeah, this isn't a Retail Surf Experience at all. I'm sure they'll step up the interval a bit over time with re-designs etc, but the pay per wave thing is not the game with this pool at all, never was. I think pay per wave is a silly idea really, just nowhere near enough custom. Selling yearly memberships to well-off Americans with a guaranteed number of days, discounts on Slater boards, etc, as part of a business plan that included CTs, accommodation franchises, pool sales etc, you can see that working for a while.
I see your brother was along for the ride. You talked about how you were lined up in the lineup waiting to snag a wave if some one blew it. When it was young tommy's turn to wait in line, did natural instinct take over and he burn't them?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am

This clip of Taylor Knox sums it up for me. When it cuts to him surfing the wave pool it’s like uuurrrggghhh. It’s becoming boring. I can’t even watch it anymore. The ocean footage is just so much better.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/237995575

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:08 am

I reckon that depends on how inherently boring their style is.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 am

Rustt wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am
alakaboo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:12 am
Nick you answered the most common questions, but what was the best question you've been asked about the surf ranch?

Roughly 5 minutes between waves does my head in. That kills almost all commercial applications.
Nobody's asked me a really great question about it yet. I think because it's all so new to us, everyone just wants to know basic stuff.

And yeah, this isn't a Retail Surf Experience at all. I'm sure they'll step up the interval a bit over time with re-designs etc, but the pay per wave thing is not the game with this pool at all, never was. I think pay per wave is a silly idea really, just nowhere near enough custom. Selling yearly memberships to well-off Americans with a guaranteed number of days, discounts on Slater boards, etc, as part of a business plan that included CTs, accommodation franchises, pool sales etc, you can see that working for a while.
I see your brother was along for the ride. You talked about how you were lined up in the lineup waiting to snag a wave if some one blew it. When it was young tommy's turn to wait in line, did natural instinct take over and he burn't them?
Nah Tom was there when Gerry was there, coupla months before us

Gerry fully dropped in on him.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I love it when Gerry pulls moves like that.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Actually I've surfed with Tom a few times and found he was pretty good surf with and other interactions he is a genuine nice guy. I was wondering if his rep as drop in artist was for real, though the first thing he ever said to me as soon as he paddled out was "you may as get out of the water right now"!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 pm

ah he is pretty good now but tended to get carried away by his own froth in the past, I think it was all a bit overstated but I and all his friends have relished feeding chips into the fire.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 am

Have they got giant fans blowing at the wave or something. It alway seems to be offshore in Lemoore.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:05 am

BA wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am
This clip of Taylor Knox sums it up for me. When it cuts to him surfing the wave pool it’s like uuurrrggghhh. It’s becoming boring. I can’t even watch it anymore. The ocean footage is just so much better.

John John could learn something from Taylor about flow through cutbacks. He always gets hung up. Taylor connects, so smooth.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:38 pm

BA wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 am

He's awesome to watch huh