Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20709
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Lucky Al wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm
have you heard that expression "some things are sacred", godsavethequeen? what about the expression "there but for the grace of god go i?" "wouldn't be caught dead" - that's a good one. "your guess is a good as mine"? "piece of cake", one of my favourites. "able to eat pawpaw without a spoon" is not one you hear often, but it's a doozy.
I eat pawpaw without a spoon all the time.....would this make me a demi-god amongst the peoples of Asia?

I want to expand from the UK.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7615
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Oh I imagine some people would be able to rationalise it. I can't. It makes me want to throw up, just a little bit.
Been thinking more, it's just odd. Obviously most surfers live near water. So if you spend millions to build one, you either go near water, and hope a small amount of surfers try it, or build it inland, and hope it becomes a novelty sport?. How do you convince investors in that scenario? Or are there already investors who are either stupid, or happy to gamble on what looks like crap odds.

Thinking about it logically, if it was down the road and cheap, I'd try it after 2 weeks of onshore puss, but who would actually intentionally jump in the car and drive an hour, and then pay to surf it ? If the surf is that bad where you lived, you probably wouldn't be interested to start with.

The business logic behind it is interesting to think about
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

User avatar
Trev
Duke Status
Posts: 18285
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:07 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Oh I imagine some people would be able to rationalise it. I can't. It makes me want to throw up, just a little bit.
Been thinking more, it's just odd. Obviously most surfers live near water. So if you spend millions to build one, you either go near water, and hope a small amount of surfers try it, or build it inland, and hope it becomes a novelty sport?. How do you convince investors in that scenario? Or are there already investors who are either stupid, or happy to gamble on what looks like crap odds.

Thinking about it logically, if it was down the road and cheap, I'd try it after 2 weeks of onshore puss, but who would actually intentionally jump in the car and drive an hour, and then pay to surf it ? If the surf is that bad where you lived, you probably wouldn't be interested to start with.

The business logic behind it is interesting to think about
Didn't I read it was an abandoned ski park or something they took over and modified?
I curse their head & all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain, their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their legs, their hands, their feet & all their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21589
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 pm

What's interesting is its in a tiny town of 20 000, three hours from a breaking wave.

That would be the equivalent of putting the pool in gatton or tamworth. Power and running costs etc thats a rough ask to keep it financial.
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 11190
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Drailed » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm
I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.
Nick, we are brothers. Not by blood but by brine.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
offshore1
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7984
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:40 am

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by offshore1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm
The whole thing sucks utter balls by the sound of it. Sorry I was even remotely interested.
Think of all the fancy thongs just lying there waiting to be rescued.
Or would it be more a boat shoe crowd?
ajohnsen wrote: My tertiary education has been a bit like a blind woman with sudden onset diarrhea in a bathroom accessories showroom.

Slobadan Madicubich
barnacle
Posts: 1115
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm
I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.
Whats the difference between paying for a charter boat, the usage fee that goes to the traditional owners of a break or chucking in for petrol .& paying to enter a wavepool?

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7615
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

Why go to the Eiffel Tower when you can pretty up an old power line tower to look like it ?
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 18151
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Slobadan Madicubich wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm
I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.
Whats the difference between paying for a charter boat, the usage fee that goes to the traditional owners of a break or chucking in for petrol .& paying to enter a wavepool?
If you can't tell that difference, I can't fcuken help you understand it.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7615
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Slobo prefers his sex doll over real women!!
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 18151
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:30 pm

buddy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 pm
If KS invited you Nick, would you let him 'pay' for your wave?
yep.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status
Posts: 18151
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 pm
Anything for love, but you won't do that eh Nick? As I said to meatloaf at the time, stop being so bloody precious
Precious? what are you fcuken talking about god save. I don't have to do shit if I don't want to. There's millions of waves breaking all over the world every day, they were made by the wind blowing on the water surface and they cost you nothing but the development of skills. Being able to paddle out and catch a wave without some cnut taking money off you is a great and glorious thing, I do it every day and the idea of going through a turnstile to do it while lining a wave pool corporation's pockets is just complete anathema to me.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 20709
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I hope you voted Yes for ssm Nick because if you ever get divorced I'm coming to Newport to marry you.

Crabmeat will be my best man and Godsave can be the bridesmaid.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21589
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm
Being able to paddle out and catch a wave without some cnut taking money off you is a great and glorious thing, I do it every day and the idea of going through a turnstile to do it while lining a wave pool corporation's pockets is just complete anathema to me.
the truth.

fuck capitalism
Drailed wrote:Sound like a load of cunts to me Trev.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 11190
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:42 pm

crabmeat thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm
Being able to paddle out and catch a wave without some cnut taking money off you is a great and glorious thing, I do it every day and the idea of going through a turnstile to do it while lining a wave pool corporation's pockets is just complete anathema to me.
the truth.

fuck capitalism
#brinenotblood
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
godsavethequeen
Owl status
Posts: 4079
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by godsavethequeen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

So you'll happily enrich any number of faceless corporations in your quest to tap into the source, just not the ones owned or operated by people who do actually surf, who may be your friends or acquaintances?

Smacks to me of muddle-headed grandstanding for cheap social media likes

User avatar
foamy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by foamy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

This realsurf controversy threatens to rival the legendary salad spinner brouhaha of 2015.
Last edited by foamy on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 11190
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Lol.

Nick you ever surfed Occys left?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests