Kelly's wave.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Kelly's wave.

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm

I figured it'd be something like $60 all you can eat for a couple of hours. $10 a pop they can blow me.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:I think I had kebab and DOOGH every day. Fresh DOOGH is heavenly
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I reckon the type of person who'd be keen on the wave pool thing would pay whatever the price was. Dan the investment banker won't shirk at $10 a wave
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

godsavethequeen
Owl status

Post by godsavethequeen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm

So do you reckon that pools will in effect create a new market? To be honest it's not something I'd considered until now, but maybe if you built one in London, say, you'd attract a whole new generation of poolies

Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

i reckon now's the time to try in moscow!

foamy
Harry the Hat

Post by foamy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Given that the average ride goes for about 5 seconds and most surfers will never have a ride over 25 seconds in a lifetime of surfing, $10 (which is less than the price of a craft beer) for a really good 60 second wave seems not an unreasonable spend.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Well as Steve pointed out, it's guaranteed not to be cheap, so cashed up bankers and lawyers will surely be the target market, the target market wouldn't be joe bloe who has 2 boards, buys all his wetties and gear out of season to save on cost etc, which would be most adult surfers surely? When's the last time you paid full retail on a wetty? Without looking around for a cheaper/out of season one ?
we are the angry mob

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm
I reckon the type of person who'd be keen on the wave pool thing would pay whatever the price was. Dan the investment banker won't shirk at $10 a wave
yea so what happens when u blow the wave 2 turns in? is that still $10? I read lopez say he blew his first few waves. apparently everyone does, have trouble getting on them. so you could blow $20 before you even do a bottom turn! kellys wave looks good when the big barge thing that makes the wave is out of shot, but it looks weird when the whole thing is seen. that wave cove looks more like a real wave, but a lot less quality. the shit webber is writing on SN, that guy is off with the fairies. reminds me of that in2ski joint that opened in Alexandria a few yrs ago. basically 3 big conveyor belts. they sprouted it as you learn to ski or board before going to the mountains. or train before an OS trip. it was $60 an hr or up around a grand for yr pass. more expensive than a full day on the snow! I checked it out with my kids. I rocked up, the guy said they were really busy I couldn't use it, but I told him I just wanted to watch anyway. there were 4 people using the place and 6-7 staff. place was huge. I thought this place wont last a yr. I was wrong, they lasted a yr, just.....then went broke.

steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm

foamy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm
Given that the average ride goes for about 5 seconds and most surfers will never have a ride over 25 seconds in a lifetime of surfing, $10 (which is less than the price of a craft beer) for a really good 60 second wave seems not an unreasonable spend.
Bullshitt.

99% of QLD and NSW surfers who ride a pointbreak from time to time will have rides over 25 seconds.

Euro Kooks in Indo ride waves over 25 seconds regularly.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm
I figured it'd be something like $60 all you can eat for a couple of hours. $10 a pop they can blow me.
Look, you're never gonna surf that wave. It's not for punters, it's not a retail surf experience, it's for "special people". I think they see it as a sort of Wimbledon centre court thing -- elite or invitees only. Field of Dreams shit.

I also think the only way this will go anywhere at all is if they sell some franchises - soon.

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm

I also also think, no I totally know this, I will never pay anyone for a wave, ever. I'll pay to fly to a spot where there's waves. I'll pay for accommodation near a wave. I'll pay for a board to ride a wave. I'll pay for wax and boards etc etc. I will never fcuken pay someone to make the wave for me. If that's where my surfing experience ends, well fcuken whacko.

Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm
foamy wrote:
Bullshitt.

99% of QLD and NSW surfers who ride a pointbreak from time to time will have rides over 25 seconds.

one of the worst things in surfing is when those euro kooks ride perfect bukit lefts all they way to the end, crab-dog all the way. they should have just fallen off on take-off! it's enough to drive a competent australian surfer crazy.

foamy
Harry the Hat

Post by foamy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm
foamy wrote:
Bullshitt.

Well, I know I have Nick, but I live in within cooee of the world famous Qld/Nth NSW points. But I was talking about most surfers. OK though, let's say 35 seconds.

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

It's an interesting business concept, get people to pay for what you can get free. And pitch it to surfers who already surf and therefore probably live near waves already. Who would bank roll that kind of thing ?
we are the angry mob

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Oh I imagine some people would be able to rationalise it. I can't. It makes me want to throw up, just a little bit.

Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:21 pm

nestlé?

Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Nick Carroll
Duke Status

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Drink this! and be Pure!

Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm

i wonder if nestlé offered to invest would kelly take them up on it?