Ask Kook

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Narra Kook
Grommet

Re: Ask Kook

Post by Narra Kook » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Beat downs from angry surf bullies are a rarety. If we got everyone here to list their injuries from surfing, bully beat downs wouldn't rate even 1%.

Ruptured eardrum (twice) and now mostly deaf in one ear: wipeouts

Severely brused calf (couldn't walk for two days and limped for a week): hit by own board

Severe rash and later infection coupled with bruising: bad rock off

Hold downs, fin chops, blue bottles stings, bruses, cuts, scrapes: varies wipeouts and other kook actions

Bully beat downs: zero

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 am

chrisb wrote:I presume that happened AT Kingscliff. As a visitor I would never beat up a local, even if I was a pro. In fact they should be setting the good example.
No as stated it happened AT Dbah. People from Kingscliff do surf at other breaks I've been told.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:32 pm

How dare they! Go back to where you came from! :-D-:

I have seen DBah firing during my travels up north but refuse to surf there because of the crowds including mid-week when it is apparently over-populated by school truants and dole bludgers.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Those damn dole bludgers.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Karlos wrote:Those damn dole bludgers.
Yeah. Spending all us baby boomers' money.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Last time I surfed Dbah was at 1pm on New Years Day 1989.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:20 pm

To add to the kook damage list:

Broken neck requiring operation (part of hip hacked out and put into my neck with a bolt) and 3 months in a neck brace (still manged to walk out of the surf and drive part of the way home before the shaking/stinging sensation required some immediate medical attention): wipe out onto rocks

Thigh muscle strain and couldn't walk properly for 3 weeks: source unknown

Head first into the sand (sh*t scared due another operation): lack of ability

Numerous ear infections requiring doctor syringing

Bully beat downs - nil to date

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Surfers Ear. Fin in knee from flicking out on a tiny wave. A lot of accidents happen in small surf because your board doesn't go anywhere. Twisted ankle doing a cutback at Caba. Rock made the wave suck out at the wrong moment. Sliced my foot up pretty bad a few times on my Fishcuit because the fins were so sharp. Quickly got into the habit of bringing them around wide. A few skin cancers. The last one was a Bowens Disease thingy that got cut out about three weeks ago. Had someone throw their board at me at Merewether a million years ago.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:17 pm

Over55yrs wrote:To add to the kook damage list:

Broken neck requiring operation (part of hip hacked out and put into my neck with a bolt) and 3 months in a neck brace (still manged to walk out of the surf and drive part of the way home before the shaking/stinging sensation required some immediate medical attention): wipe out onto rocks

Your broken neck "wins" the injuries list.

I had a fin chop to my wrist in a 1 foot wave at Collaroy years ago. Got a bloody nose there too after having to flick out at the last instant when a (another) kook paddled out directly into my line - wind blew the board back into my face.

Broken rib at The Pass from my own board which went behind the wave I wiped out on but was then washed into me by the next wave. Various bruises and muscular injuries. A shoulder injury kept me out for months. Rehab on a bodyboard.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Over55yrs wrote:To add to the kook damage list:

Maybe the bullies are too busy laughing at you. :-)( 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 am

Broken neck! Can't see anyone still here to post top that. At least it didn't happen at Collaroy like that the other poster's injury.

Once at Collaroy a guy in his 20s took off on my inside after I was already up and riding. He was a tiny guy riding a paddle pop stick, doing these sad little turns with what appeared a lot of flourish and effort. He claimed I'd dropped in on him. I replied, "I already had the wave, and you're on the wrong equipment, and it's Collaroy." He didn't respond.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Most number of guys in the water?
Bondi for me.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Name this biggest kook break in the world: 85% of surfers at this break get zero waves, boogie boarders get at least half of the waves, tourists all over the place on the beach and in the water, drop ins, chaos, and idiots-a-plenty.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Bondi?, Waikiki?
Beanpole

Skipper

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Pipe at 4-6 foot.

Maroubra at 2-4 foot.

Narra Kook
Grommet

Post by Narra Kook » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Yep. Pipeline. But it was 8 feet and doing its December thing. Biggest kook fest I've ever seen, except for the stand up surfers actually catching the waves. 85 percent of the kooks (probably damn good surfers) didn't catch a single wave. Half of the waves were riden by lidders. I was shocked. I thought black shorts and other assorted local heavies would be feeding blow-ins to their dogs and ground and pounding lidders mercilessly on the beach. Nope. No order. Chaos. I watched from the beach. A man's got to know his limitations (Clint, 19xx).

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Feelin lucky today punk?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:20 am

Loved this post not the injuries. Having a laugh at yourself and sharing thanks.
As I took up surfing in my forties I will always be a kook but with style LOL.
My injuries have been stretchered off the beach after going head first into a sand bank (don't surf when you are tired) taken to hospital but luckily it was only muscle injury which needed physio as I couldn't even move my neck for a couple a weeks my children told me to give up hahaha never!
Split my nose open after the wind caught my board and it hit me in the face, the skin is very thin on your nose. Going to work in retail looking like a battered wife LOL.
Many cuts, bruisers, twisted ankles etc.
I also had a rubber ducky at Long Reef come rushing out and run me over my leg rope got caught up and them dragging me out to sea. Oh and I was actually on a wave so it just a stupid accident. I was OK my board was damaged they apologised profusely and fixed my board. I have nothing against life savers as my children went through nippers and learnt a lot about the water but sometimes they need to look as really it was only them having a joy ride.
Caught in a double over head set in Sri Lanka a 5 setter with each one getting bigger myself and another woman paddled to NZ I was completely freaked out. I am quite happy in small surf these days.
Also have had a knee reconstruction but that was playing soccer LOL.
I am a bit of a klutz but I just keep plodding along as I love it.

Cheers :)