Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Davros » Thu May 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Tuftitties
Last edited by Davros on Thu May 04, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Cranked wrote:you and the other surftech haters are the ones with a problem, not me.

To me they are just surfboards with advantages and disadvantages just like any other surfboard, they don't embody any meaning
i don't hate them. i just think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. durability is their best attribute, performance the least. they're simply too reactive to suit a broad range of wave and surf conditions. small-mid sized lower energy wave they're ok providing it's clean conditions (no chopped or ribbed up faces) and no stiff offshore breezes or much wind at all really. in bigger conditions, they're too erratic.

i've still got one, will likely sell it, and will never own another.

and i could care less about the pop-out factor or un-coolness of surftech TL boards.
Your problem is that you're just rational, you have to learn to hate a bit
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Crankies expression of total being is on trial here. I still believe he is the quintessential manifestion of boundless awareness, plastic surfboards or not.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 5:08 pm

I think Steve must have had some childhood accident or trauma, long since sublimated now, but resurfacing in recent years and somehow being inextricably linked or associated with surftechs.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Davros wrote:Crankies expression of total being is on trial here. I still believe he is the quintessential manifestion of boundless awareness, plastic surfboards or not.
"Boundless awareness", I like that.

I'm going to check on the progress of my zots to quads.

My good deed for the day was rescuing someone's surfboard as both it and and I were being swept down to Bingin after a 15 wave set. Took a while to spot the owner too

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu May 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Hey Cranked you have created an alternative universe where dissing surfboards is equated with racism, sexism and religious discrimation.

I just think surftechs are ugly pieces of generic shit surfboards that ride like a bike with no tyres. A pretty mainstream view. Other than that view I give them no thought whatsoever.

I'd be examining your own relationship to surfboards before you point the finger at anyone else.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu May 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Cranked wrote:I think Steve must have had some childhood accident or trauma, long since sublimated now, but resurfacing in recent years and somehow being inextricably linked or associated with surftechs.
He was molested by a surftech in the Coolie toilets. Or it was Braithy. Either way, pretty traumatic.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:37 pm

I had a tuflite billy tolhurst 9'1 longboard that was pretty sweet.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 6:40 pm

steve shearer wrote: I just think surftechs are ugly pieces of generic shit surfboards that ride like a bike with no tyres. A pretty mainstream view. Other than that view I give them no thought whatsoever.
Beautiful!

And with that I rest my case your Honour

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu May 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes and that has no common ground with racism , sexism or religion discrimation cuzzy bro, other than in your crazy beautiful mind.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 04, 2017 7:39 pm

JaM71 wrote:Tell us about your bonzer & driftas Nick, ever get the hankering to bust them out now & again or u just can't find them amongst the flower beds?
I don't have any driftas, I had one in 1981, a 5'8", it was good, I won an Aussie title on it hurray! But when I got a three fin a little while after that, I didn't really look back.

The Bonzer I have is two or three years old, made by Malcolm here in Oz, I don't ride it often, I am a huge admirer of what the Campbells did back in the early 70s with that idea, but for me anyway I think the normal thruster setup is a fair way ahead of it, less drag, more drive, and more variety available in how you set the bottom shape. Actually after riding a few 2 x1 setups recently (dominant back fin), I'm somewhat off 'em generally, they feel like thrusters with a handbrake on. I'll give up some turning reflex speed if there's a big reward somewhere else in a board but I don't feel that in a 2x1. A pure single fin is another story.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Nick, Terry made me two Driftas around 1983/4, a 6'4 and a 6'8. They were for a trip to Gland and I even managed to hook into the wave of the day on the biggest day.

They were both singles but with D shaped side bites (around 5" long and 3.5" high) in small traditional fin boxes (so must have been pre FCS)

Also I'm not sure of the tail. I don't remember any flyers, and I think it was a tight little square tail. Terry reckoned the 6'8 was good for anything up to 10'.

Does this sound right to you (no flyer square), or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I find the current driftas a bit ugly with the pin and the flyers and remember my two as having smooth lines and a little more area in the tail

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm

steve shearer wrote:Yes and that has no common ground with racism , sexism or religion discrimation cuzzy bro, other than in your crazy beautiful mind.
God but I have to work hard to score even a few points of you Steve.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu May 04, 2017 8:13 pm

Chant after me "boundless awareness, boundless awareness, boundless awareness, boundless and careless, boundless and careless, I couldn't care less, I couldn't care less..oh fk how did that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 05, 2017 7:45 am

Cranked wrote:Nick, Terry made me two Driftas around 1983/4, a 6'4 and a 6'8. They were for a trip to Gland and I even managed to hook into the wave of the day on the biggest day.

They were both singles but with D shaped side bites (around 5" long and 3.5" high) in small traditional fin boxes (so must have been pre FCS)

Also I'm not sure of the tail. I don't remember any flyers, and I think it was a tight little square tail. Terry reckoned the 6'8 was good for anything up to 10'.

Does this sound right to you (no flyer square), or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I find the current driftas a bit ugly with the pin and the flyers and remember my two as having smooth lines and a little more area in the tail
yeah the first Driftas were all wing swallows then TF started doing them with cut off squares which I think were better actually

mine had the mini fins glassed on but a box for the centre fin. I did get a sorta evolved version of it with the cutoff square and a more relaxed single to double concave set up but then persuaded TF to make a thruster and boom!

Terry was into concave blends well before they became commonplace in classic high per thrusters, he would use them instead of the old belly channels. He made me a 5'10" wing round pin in late 1983 that was crazy ahead of its time. It had a single concave from just behind the wide point coming back to the fins. Fcuken thing absolutely flew. Won thousands of dollars on that board and eventually gave it to Newport's hottest grommet of the time, Will Edwards.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks Nick.

So my recollection was right after all!

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 am

Next up for me from Terry were two Cheyne Horan type round tail singles with hard panel V in the tail and boat like roll in the front, a 5'10 and 6'2, both for Sydney beachies

Terry suggested a winged keel fin that you had been trialing but I went for Cheyne's Ben Lexen one. Both were great boards for Sydney.

Someone told me recently that it was Terry that did the board that Cheyne won Bells on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Cranked wrote:So my recollection was right after all!
Yeah! But tuflite still sucks.