Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Davros wrote:Deus Twin?
Yep. Sick little board. Chomps up smaller waves.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 pm

No quads Iggy, don't like em?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 pm

JET01 wrote:No quads Iggy, don't like em?
I've had my love affair with them . Road them heaps for about three years. Conclusion - I can surf fast enough without them, and prefer the turning accuracy of thrusters over the sheer down the line speed of a quad. Quads have their place, but I think they're overkill for the most part for the mix of waves I'm surfing. I find quads have a tendency to get ahead of themselves too easily. If you start frothing too much on the extra speed, you can often find yourself outrunning the pocket, spending more time cutting back and washing off speed, than sitting tighter in the pocket, surfing more top to bottom.

If I was some 20 foot shipsterns surfing tow-in maniac then yeah, it'd probably make a lot more sense to have a bunch of quads.
Sniff wrote:

regular

Post by 8 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Are you saying this from actual experience or just regurgitating things you have read that you think sound nice?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Yeah, one day I watched a guy on a yellow battered piece of shit, completely collapsed deck, right side fin broken off, just a throw away; he was ripping.
Oops. Completely out of context, it was a reply to a post on a previous page.
Last edited by Cranked on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 pm

8 wrote:Are you saying this from actual experience or just regurgitating things you have read that you think sound nice?
Did you miss the first part where I said I rode them for three years .?

Almost exclusively I surfed quads for three years. Owned four during that time . Rail centric flatter fishy type ones, and the stringer centric McKee type set ups .

The conclusions I've drawn are from hundreds of hours and a surfing a mixed plethora of waves and conditions.

Cockhead
Sniff wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 pm

8 wrote:Are you saying this from actual experience or just regurgitating things you have read that you think sound nice?
:lol:

Andy??
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

regular

Post by 8 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:10 pm

I heart mixed plethoras. Especially the ones with fluff and glitter, they are the best kind.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I don't think Andy surfed quads. I'd be interested to hear what take "8" has on them though. And whether it's something he knows from actual experience or just regurgitating things he's read that he thinks sounds nice.
Sniff wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:31 am

I sense a surf off coming on. ..
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:31 am

Hatchnam wrote:Lol. Haha. The Tuflite was a once off. And will remain that way. At the time, I bought it very cheap. And was only motivated to do so by other hi-perf boards that were falling apart at the time.

I don't regret buying it. But would avoid Tuflite in future. Super fast, minimal flex, with a stiff driving recoil kinda feel to it. But you must have clean waves. Wind blows it all over the place, and with layered or lumpy faces, it doesnt absorb or yield to it, instead it feels skittery and chattery.
Peeps that universally slag them are helping keep the used prices nice and low...good stuff.
For those who live in the areas with waves suited more to the traits of their construction and know how to size them right and use the fins that work best in them they are still viable in a quiver.
:-o
Great for crowded waves...ding em and duct tape em and keep on surfing.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:15 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
Hatchnam wrote:Lol. Haha. The Tuflite was a once off. And will remain that way. At the time, I bought it very cheap. And was only motivated to do so by other hi-perf boards that were falling apart at the time.

I don't regret buying it. But would avoid Tuflite in future. Super fast, minimal flex, with a stiff driving recoil kinda feel to it. But you must have clean waves. Wind blows it all over the place, and with layered or lumpy faces, it doesnt absorb or yield to it, instead it feels skittery and chattery.
Peeps that universally slag them are helping keep the used prices nice and low...good stuff.
For those who live in the areas with waves suited more to the traits of their construction and know how to size them right and use the fins that work best in them they are still viable in a quiver.
:-o
Great for crowded waves...ding em and duct tape em and keep on surfing.
One of the best boards I've had was a 6'2 m10 hogfish tuflite. Still regret selling it. If I ever see one for sale I'll buy it for sure. Went in anything. Even choppy beach breaks.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:16 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Did you miss the first part where I said I rode them for three years .?

Almost exclusively I surfed quads for three years. Owned four during that time . Rail centric flatter fishy type ones, and the stringer centric McKee type set ups .

The conclusions I've drawn are from hundreds of hours and a surfing a mixed plethora of waves and conditions.

Cockhead

Now you mention it, I actually remember some of your posts about how much you loved your Simon Anderson Dead Kipper quad.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:20 am

12 foot prone racing board (carbon) shaped by Brad Gaul
10'6 prone racing board hand shaped by (fk just forgot his name)
7'0 Mitch Rae pintail semi gun
6'8 Simon Anderson round pin semi gun
6'4 Hayden Shapes Golden Gun
6'2 Hayden Shapes Semi gun
6'1 Simon Anderson semi gun
5'11 Pyzel
5'11 Pyzel
5'9 Division
5'9 Maurice Cole Super concave
5'8 Maurice Cole Mermaid
5'7 Division

All above are thrusters (except the prones)

a few others here and there

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:40 am

The kipper quad surfed like a twin fish on steroids. Fast as hell down the line, but didn't pivot so well off the tail.

The best quad I owned was a Dylan longbottom bat-tail. A high performance single concave, with a fair amount of rocker in it.

Only 6'4 but punched well above its weight. It'd hold in hard on some pretty big waves. Would still have it today if I didn't snap it, getting rinsed after being caught out inside at 6-8 foot voodoo a few years ago.

Again, still overkill speed-wise for most of the time. But a great board nevertheless.
Sniff wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:54 am

I have these now (less the More on the left).

And recently (for me - a bit over a year ago :-o ) Added this.

The More was 8'8" and nice in small, fast waves. Essentially beachies. Great for quick, late take offs. I wasn't riding it nearly enough and eventually sold it back to Mark for what I paid for it.
The gun is 8'10" and came to me via Fong who bought it off the maker, Bruce McKean who was one of the original founders of Windansea Club on the Sunshine Coast. Fong identified it as perfect for those larger, heavier Moffats days and he was right. Again. late take-offs are easy - easier than sometimes my lack of bravery will allow. But once on a wave its speed and manoeuvrability are faultless. Maybe gets ridden 3 or 4 times a year when my mals are gonna get me killed. Glassed in fins.
The green one is 9' ½" and made for me by John Broadhurst at the back of Burleigh about 1992-3. It was made as a single fin which I tore out on a rock at Dee Why. There was a guy near the Brookvale Toyota Dealer had a small shop. Think he might have been a longboard champion who has since died of cancer. He replaced the fin and added the two side fins for me.
Yellow board is by John Sojoski (a "Wave Signature" model out of Copacabana on the Central Coast). I wanted something just a bit easier to paddle. John delivered. Made in 2003.
The last two are my regular boards. Very different. The green one is actually more slippery - better for radical turns. But there's not much in it.
I bought the GSI (9'6") for those cruisy days of full swell on high tide. It's a lot of fun when you've got a bit of time to play with the wave. It's the first time I've bought an import and probably the first time I've bought off the rack.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:34 pm

That yellow gun also looks like it'd go great out at wategos on a Big day, paddling like mad chasing down peaks.
Sniff wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Ah so it was you. That green one fcuking nearly took my head off on about a 5 foot day sometime last summer.
I was sitting about halfway in and picking off the ones that hugged the point, you and the 40ish lady who is a pretty good surfer were picking off the wide ones out the back.
I was paddling back into the inside when a set came through and you did a top turn about a metre from my face. I was about 75% sure you had overcooked it, so was relieved to make it past unscathed.