Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Quiver thread

Post by JET01 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:59 pm

I've had some good surfs on it, feels really drivey on bottom turns, and springs around on long open face carves. I was really stoked on it when I first got it. I'll pass judgement on the other side of Autumn. Think I might have a bit too much foam under me at 77kg. Probably should've kept it at 2 1/2. Quite a flat deck. Definitely goes better in bigger waves. I'm hoping to get some green island at Easter.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:12 pm

:-o
Only a rat can win the rat race.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:15 pm

You better talk us through that Cuttle
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:29 pm

But how do they go at Maroubra?

Asking for Loofy.....

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:30 pm

How does the DVS (the blue twin with nub fin) go?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:37 pm

I knew I'd have some explainin' to do.
5'10" Campbell bros mini light vehicle
6' round nosed fish firewire
6'2" Firewire nano
6'3" DVS weiner
6'3" McCoy all round nugget
6'6" Gary McNeill CV2
6'7" DVS carbon/eps
6'9" Pyzel slab
7'2" Gary McNeill CV2
7'6" Woosley vquad
8' Modern blackbird.
DVS wasp 6' bottom pic.
Not in pics: 6'8" Outer islands vflex smartboard. Lives at JaM71's for use when I'm on the Goldie.
The newest is the DVS wasp but I've owned one before I bought off Gumtree. It was a 6'3" which had too much foam for me.
The new one has been getting a good workout with the swell we've been having. I reckon its the best fish I've owned.
Come to realise I prefer wide point forward twins and quads to more conventional boards. Just suits me, the places I surf and the way I want to ride waves.
The blue DVS I bought with the DVS weiner (with the big Soar Webber fins). It belonged to John Charlton (surf reports Goldie) and both boards were used in the Boardroom at Miami. The price of both of them was the same as one new big brand pu. Couldn't leave the carbon DVS to be bought by some backpacker who would bung a go pro mount on it and poo stance their way towards the beach in reforms and then leave it baking on the sand while they sunned their buns.
The mere thought of such a fate befalling this work or art was too much for me.
Haven't ridden it yet. Waiting for a really good clean day without too many people out...Yeah, right!
The DVS weiner with the big twins is great to ride. The fins really make the board go well. You can feel the fins lock into the wall when on a high line and it loads up on the turns.
Many of you may have ridden a single with a nice flexy single well this board is just like that but with the looser feel of a twin with the rear trailer giving it it a combo of extra drive and hold. The rear trailer is a single tab at the front so it flexes from side to side as you go in and out of turns.
The Pyzel slab was made for a longboarder who never rode it and packs serious foam which I don't mind at all because its still really easy to throw around on a wave with some push.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 pm

With you on wide point x twins and quads. Taken me a while to get there but same.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47 pm

That's a wide range of lengths Cuttlefish.
Had much time on the smart board? Happy with the length at 6' 8"
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:42 pm

I've surfed the Outer islands enough to know its a really good board for a wide range of conditions.
That's why I left it at JaM71's.
Cover the bases conditions wise.
Can't go wrong with one of them.
If I was ordering one I'd buy one in a 6'2-4". The 6'8" is a cruisey ride but if it was shorter would be more responsive and if longer could be a more "Johnson, my wave" kind of board.
I like surfing all my boards and just vary them according to where I am surfing, swell size and tides.
For example if its peaky beachbreaks especially low tide then the McCoy nugget is a blast, especially good on my backhand.
Every so often I'll have a board that gets ridden heaps while the others are neglected.
Most of my boards have been bought either used or new but on sale due to their quirkiness so there's not a huge amount of $'s tied up in them.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:47 pm

JET01 wrote:I've had some good surfs on it, feels really drivey on bottom turns, and springs around on long open face carves. I was really stoked on it when I first got it. I'll pass judgement on the other side of Autumn. Think I might have a bit too much foam under me at 77kg. Probably should've kept it at 2 1/2. Quite a flat deck. Definitely goes better in bigger waves. I'm hoping to get some green island at Easter.
I'm with you on the green island thing at Easter - that merk will kill it on a nice swell there. Keep an eye out for a blue MLV bonzer :-D-:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:51 pm

channels wrote:But how do they go at Maroubra?

Asking for Loofy.....
Chortle guffaw
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:40 pm

saltman wrote:My home Made quiver
5-7 side cut twin keel eps epoxy stringer less 6&4 , 6oz
6-0 deep single concave. PU. PE 4&4,4
6-4 Single to double glassed 4&6 , 6 epoxy
Loving that sidecut - great work on all those boards 3-)
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 pm

JET01 wrote:From left to right

9'6 x 23 x 3 ECS log hardly surf it.
7'7 x 22 x 2.9 PCC Single fin. Love this. Bought it to commemorate the birth of my daughter Olive.
6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 Miller waterskate. Transition board from learner mini mal. Sentimental favourite. Loads of professionally repaired dings. Still gets a run when my backs feeling dodgy and there's some duckdiving to be done.
6'2 x 20 x 2 5/8 Campbell Brothers Mini Merk bonzer5. 34th birthday present for myself.
6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 9/16 Miller waterskate. Best board I've ever owned.
6'1 x ? PCC 1970 Single fin. Wife gave me this on our wedding day. Have surfed it a fair bit but don't surf it as much as I should. Sentimental favourite. Scared to ding it. Surfed a few waves at Pipe and Backdoor on this board, and got the biggest beating ever on it that day not duckdiving deep enough. Never forget it.

Got a few bodyboards too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I think I need one of these for my quiver.
https://instagram.com/p/BB4Pq7QMkTA/

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Nice. Buy one and then you won't need the olive board, hint hint :-D-:

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Doubt I'll ever part with it. Far too versatile. Does almost everything.

The 9'6 Mal on the other hand. It's days are numbered.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu May 12, 2016 8:34 am

After dicking around for nearly a year I've finally got a board that I like.

I brought an unridden Tuflite 6'8 Flyer with me, old style pointy nose, 20.5 width, deep single concave, no V, huge lift in the tail and nose but flat in the middle. For over a week I've been flailing around on it, changing fins, feet always in the wrong postion, kooking out as usual.

Yesterday it clicked. Waist to shoulder high, just two out. First two waves, everything wrong, then the next wave everything finally clicked: back foot against the tail block, wide stance, complete control for a series of rail burying off the bottom and off the tops till kickout.

Proprioceptive memory was instant, all the following waves were the same. Thank christ! I just knew the board was right and it was just me, but I was starting to have my doubts. Best board I've had since the HPSBs of my youth. Eat your heart out Geoff McCoy, way faster and more maneuverable than the McCoy nuggets (my previous favourites) and with better paddling and entry.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:53 am

So nice when things come together like that.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 7:33 am

WAY? faster....more manoueverable??

Ive owned that actual board you describe, along with 30 McCoys and lost count of the concaves( but started on them in75)

Try riding your tuflite in less than perfect surface conditions, any bump on the face disrupts momentum, offshores from brisk to strong hold them up the face.

Concaves accelerate better than convexs, so a little faster....length to length the nugget out manouevers just about everything as well as being the most forgiving design available.

The nugget rides everything well....1-8ft(knee to double overhead) then the mini gun and semi gun models ride solid stuff reasonably well( but outer islands flex blows everything else away when the grunts on)

Also depends how you have your nuggets set up, 3 glassed on fins?thats the dim dark ages, Singles( only in GMs mind)

The Asian made poxy and PU models provide a more adventurous avenue to tune with changeable fins, we all surf differently so Y have stock fins for 70kg and 100kgs?

Cranked, its great you've experimented and succeeded with finding the magic sensation.Doing that always gives me a personal satisfaction.

Paying out on a design that I'm doubting you've explored to the limit, eat your heart out.