Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Quiver thread

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Channel Islands are giving a 12mth warranty with their flex bars ... Dave gave a 12 month warranty with his dynocores too. I remember i put my head through a rail in a punchy swell down at casuarina on my dynocore, and Dave fixed it no questions asked.

he just said that must have really hurt your head. I reckoned I had a concussion. haha
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:19 pm

be interesting to see how all this new tech shakes out.......this is the second phase and although the first phase (surftech, bic etc etc) was overwhelmingly aimed at kooks, this one is aimed more at the "performance" end of the market.
Unless they can really make the case for performance increase as well as durability then I reckon the market will keep choosing poly.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm

"It feels good under the arm"

"It feels brittle in your hands"

Innate 'only a surfer knows the feeling' sensitivity or innovation-stifling confirmation bias? Discuss
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:"It feels good under the arm"

Innate 'only a surfer knows the feeling' sensitivity or innovation-stifling confirmation bias? Discuss

the hyfi just has no weight at all. Like none. I remember thinking, "that's not good, they've gone too far."

the slater one, had weight to it, but just felt so balanced and right. i dunno, they bring out new measurements like volume and all this shit. you only have to pick a board up, rub it and feel it, to know if it'll work or not.

it's not science, it's a spiritual thing, gs.
Kunji wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Tactile...I would say.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Did you give it the sniff test?
Erase.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:16 pm

My board goes great. Most fun board I've ever ridden in waves up to 5' (beanpole). Guess what? It feel shit under the arm. So shit, in fact, that if I'm walking any sort of distance with it I have to carry it TAIL FIRST, FINS OUT. Kept that dirty little secret quiet until TOTY was safely over, didn't I
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Davros wrote:
saltman wrote:
Davros wrote:They probably did
Direct from the site
"It took two years of research and development involving half a dozen of the world’s best surfers and most skilled designers to reach this point"
And knowing the faults after that period still released the product to the market. Microsoft do it why not JS.
2 years of free surf trips for some pros and the owners of the brand.

You'd have much better chance of getting a refund from Microsoft. Taking a surfboard back because it failed within 3 months? Haha good luck
No chance. Buyers = test bunnies

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:TAIL FIRST, FINS OUT
Knew this decent surfer (but deadbeat) back in the early 90's from regional SA, who surfed cactus, blackfellas, and all those gnarly shark infested slabs.

Many of the waves he surfed required scaling down goat tracks up against steep cliff faces. And by default the regional SA crew (apparently) carried their boards tail first and fins out on their outside arm. As it was meant to be the most comfortable way to scale down the cliff face whilst also protecting your fins.

So GSTQ, maybe you'll look "more core" with tail first fins out.

Mind you he did look pretty fking kooky carrying a board like that on the Gold Coast, as you might in Wales. And he looked an even bigger Ming Mong for surfing in his AFL shorts, so don't be doing that.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:My board goes great. Most fun board I've ever ridden in waves up to 5' (beanpole). Guess what? It feel shit under the arm. So shit, in fact, that if I'm walking any sort of distance with it I have to carry it TAIL FIRST, FINS OUT. Kept that dirty little secret quiet until TOTY was safely over, didn't I
I had one of those. The MR tufflite felt like a pig under my arm, but in clean, sub-2.5ft waves it went unreal.

Those instances are rarer than finding leprechaun poo in your favourite pair of galoshes, gs.
Kunji wrote:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Braithy wrote:
godsavethequeen wrote:"It feels good under the arm"

the hyfi just has no weight at all. Like none. I remember thinking, "that's not good, they've gone too far."

the slater one, had weight to it, but just felt so balanced and right. i dunno, they bring out new measurements like volume and all this shit. you only have to pick a board up, rub it and feel it, to know if it'll work or not.

it's not science, it's a spiritual thing, gs.
The ...lost piece of rubbish i had felt the same - weightless. And if you hit chop, the thing bounced and jittered. Awful. I surfed it ten-fifteen times and it was dimpling up nicely. I would never buy the new tech stuff from one of the big boys ever again. If it's a custom from Mackie or McNeill or other shapers who work with eps and know what they're doing - sure. Heck - my old firewire's were much better than the epoxy carbon wrap.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 pm

I dunno Braith. For this to happen with two small wave boards (and I'm sure others will come forward now that we've had the courage to speak out), it seems like we can't just dismiss this by playing the exception-to-the-rule card and instead need to add a new rule to the canon. Something along the lines of if it feels like a pig and looks like a fat pig, it'll probably be pretty good in the small stuff. Real Surf, Real Surfing. You read it here first
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

From the clips the boards look jittery

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

I don't know what the fcuk you guys are talking about. Jittery carbon wrapped brittle in your hands fat pig weightless high tech leprechaun poo boards?
I do remember fins out when doing the cliff walk at Tama. Seemed to help, at least with older, longer boards. Is it hipster now to do it with a 5'10"?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 pm

You're drunk, duck. Go home
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:13 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:You're drunk, duck. Go home
I am home gstq. Thanks for the concern.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:10 am

Braithy wrote:Channel Islands are giving a 12mth warranty with their flex bars ... Dave gave a 12 month warranty with his dynocores too. I remember i put my head through a rail in a punchy swell down at casuarina on my dynocore, and Dave fixed it no questions asked.

he just said that must have really hurt your head. I reckoned I had a concussion. haha
Dave is a top bloke and not like the Mega mass board producers. Never got to try one of his hi tech boards. Had a 7'2" of his though. He's in Indo now isn't he?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 am

steve shearer wrote:be interesting to see how all this new tech shakes out.......this is the second phase and although the first phase (surftech, bic etc etc) was overwhelmingly aimed at kooks, this one is aimed more at the "performance" end of the market.
Unless they can really make the case for performance increase as well as durability then I reckon the market will keep choosing poly.

Josh has to get a mention here. Light but not stupid light. Very lively and strong board. Built purely for the benefit of the customer, not for millions and not for market domination or ego stroking wankfest.