Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Hey Trev,
How's the glass job on the Modern?
Just picked up an 8' blackhawk and curious how it will hold up.
Of course it won't be ridden much so I guess it doesn't matter.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm

alakaboo wrote:Ah so it was you. That green one fcuking nearly took my head off on about a 5 foot day sometime last summer.
I was sitting about halfway in and picking off the ones that hugged the point, you and the 40ish lady who is a pretty good surfer were picking off the wide ones out the back.
I was paddling back into the inside when a set came through and you did a top turn about a metre from my face. I was about 75% sure you had overcooked it, so was relieved to make it past unscathed.
:d
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Hatchnam wrote:That yellow gun also looks like it'd go great out at wategos on a Big day, paddling like mad chasing down peaks.
Yeah. It's a good paddler, especially for a plumper like me.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:Hey Trev,
How's the glass job on the Modern?
Just picked up an 8' blackhawk and curious how it will hold up.
Of course it won't be ridden much so I guess it doesn't matter.
It seems to be OK.
Had a few flaws in it from new but at $600 I was happy with it.
Beanpole

Skipper

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Think I just realised something. I surfed quads a lot when I was at the beginner/ intermediate level. It's been the last two years that I've started surfing better and come to think of it, it was when I started surfing singles, and more recently my miller waterskate thruster.
Spent more time near the pocket rather than way out on the open face.

All good learnings though.

Oh and I forgot to ask why you punted that 6'6 g&s bonzer Iggy? Was it a bit big?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Trev wrote:I have these now (less the More on the left).

And recently (for me - a bit over a year ago :-o ) Added this.

The More was 8'8" and nice in small, fast waves. Essentially beachies. Great for quick, late take offs. I wasn't riding it nearly enough and eventually sold it back to Mark for what I paid for it.
The gun is 8'10" and came to me via Fong who bought it off the maker, Bruce McKean who was one of the original founders of Windansea Club on the Sunshine Coast. Fong identified it as perfect for those larger, heavier Moffats days and he was right. Again. late take-offs are easy - easier than sometimes my lack of bravery will allow. But once on a wave its speed and manoeuvrability are faultless. Maybe gets ridden 3 or 4 times a year when my mals are gonna get me killed. Glassed in fins.
The green one is 9' ½" and made for me by John Broadhurst at the back of Burleigh about 1992-3. It was made as a single fin which I tore out on a rock at Dee Why. There was a guy near the Brookvale Toyota Dealer had a small shop. Think he might have been a longboard champion who has since died of cancer. He replaced the fin and added the two side fins for me.
Yellow board is by John Sojoski (a "Wave Signature" model out of Copacabana on the Central Coast). I wanted something just a bit easier to paddle. John delivered. Made in 2003.
The last two are my regular boards. Very different. The green one is actually more slippery - better for radical turns. But there's not much in it.
I bought the GSI (9'6") for those cruisy days of full swell on high tide. It's a lot of fun when you've got a bit of time to play with the wave. It's the first time I've bought an import and probably the first time I've bought off the rack.

Didn't notice it on my phone but saw it on my PC...how is the plan shape on the More? Big up front to get into the waves and narrow at the back for turning? Or different theory?

That gun looks epic.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:50 pm

A stinger quad longboard

Dear god.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:57 pm

^
Mark called it The Swinger.
Think there was something similar years ago called a Stinger.
Not a lot of rocker so it paddled well. I learned to keep the weight on the back especially when cutting back. Then, trimming it was fast and would ride in the steepest part of the wave.
Beanpole

Skipper

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Put a single fin and a gloss glass job and the hipsters would be all over it

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:55 pm

saltman wrote:Trev
Shotty first right of refusal when you want to relocate that triple stringer gun
There's someone in front of you but I'll put you NIL.
However, I think it's a keeper.
Beanpole

Skipper

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:46 pm

MR makes a Stinger

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Trev wrote:I have these now (less the More on the left).
All with leg ropes - I applaud you sir!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 pm

Quads are fun, not sure why anyone would think they are novice boards, they do fly out of the gates but yeh it's true they do improve your cut backs cause your out on the flats a bit, reckon you just need the right one that allows you to get a on the lip a bit, only fins how about concave and rocker.

Quad

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ri5urWCwWM

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 am

I don't think they're novice boards. On the contrary. I just think they're really fkn quick. And (for me) I think it's a bit of overkill most of the time.

The thing I liked the most about them, was the extra acceleration you'd get coming out of a turn. More of a drive/project than pivot/release kinda feel
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:09 am

often a board being fast, or surfing more out on the flats etc has more to do with a boards rocker, width and plan shape than it does how many fins they board has. Stick a thruster in some of those 'quad boards' and you may be amazed at how fast the board still goes. Might have more to do with the boards flatter rocker? I just think with quads it often feels like you are going faster than you really are.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am

Dont disagree on the speed element and washing off speed as well, that makes sense to me. I have a tri fin with a dirty great single concave it's sort of a adaptation (rip off) if Slaters Wizard Sleeve thing with the sub nose, it was so fast and skaty it felt like a cake of soap with an outboard on the back, simple fin change and hey presto. It was faster than say that Quad fish I have.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Cranked wrote:1. 9'2 hp mal
2. 8'2 hp mal
3. 7'6 McCoy nugget
4. 7' McCoy nugget
5. 6'10 Tolhurst quad fish
6. 6'6 R French fish/thruster
7. 6'6 McCoy nugget
8. 6'6 Wilkes thruster
The deep concave Wilkes thruster has been replaced with a Katana bamboo/epoxy fish hybrid 6'3, 16", 22", 16", 2 3/4". Single to double concave, double within the single, more nose flip and a lot more tail rocker than a standard fish. Sharp square rails back from centre. MR tx twin with stabilizer fin setup.
Nothing wrong with the Wilkes, just wanted to try the Katana. Boards in as new condition, Wilkes was pretty battered.

I've traded 2 boards at my LBS within the last week or so, getting the price I wanted and they both sold within 24 hours so my board trading is doing well for both of us.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:52 pm

I thought your small McCoy was 6'8"?
When are you going to Bali? Things are looking a bit wobbly at work, plus I hate it lol.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.