Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Davros » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 am

Its been a while since the forum has had a good old fashioned McCoy stoush

Cranked rides Indo 90% so it don't matter

Surfy W are you Marc the McCoy man?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 8:03 am

Not a stoush at all, just a statement of fact.

McCoys, my way or the highway attitude, holds back the nugget design.So that limits most owners enjoyment of that hulls capability.

Everyone who has modified a McCoy(seeking a better performance)that ive spoken with has been happy to change to a more user friendly sensation(similar to what cranked did with fine tuning the tuflite).

Ive personally changed about a dozen of the ones ive owned, including the very first custom back in 99.

Theres a vast amount of different sensations to explore by altering the fin set up, but that applies to all designs too.

Very few owners modify the Oz built McCoys,the Asian ones have the clip in/out FCS2 now(started with fusions though)so fine tuning is possible.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 8:11 am

MA, the McCoy disciple started this, I disagree with most of what he says

http://www.swellnet.com/forums/shaping-bay/13411

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 13, 2016 8:13 am

Cranked wrote:After dicking around for nearly a year I've finally got a board that I like.

I brought an unridden Tuflite 6'8 Flyer with me, old style pointy nose, 20.5 width, deep single concave, no V, huge lift in the tail and nose but flat in the middle.

Best board I've had since the HPSBs of my youth
"Better" than the Fatburner? Just a deep single concave? Not single to double? Aren't single concaves built for speed?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 13, 2016 8:16 am

surfywurfy wrote:WAY? faster....more manoueverable??
Paying out on a design that I'm doubting you've explored to the limit, eat your heart out.
Of course I haven't explored McCoys to the limit, but I have owned the following TSA first generation nuggets: 6'3, 6'6, 6'8, 6'10, 7', 7'6, 8' and generation 2: 7', 7'6. Also 6'4 and 7' double enders and a 6'8 Astron Zot. Plus tuflite 6'6, 7', 7'6, 7'11 and 8'2, and two McCoy handshapes: 6'2 single and 5'10 laser zap.

Ive spent around 10 years riding McCoys. I stopped riding them when they flattened the tail rocker in the gen 2 TSAs which stopped them performing to the usual nugget standards. I corresponed with Geoff but he denied the undeniable so I started looking for replacements.

I am not willing to go down the custom path due to the expense and Geoff's unwillingness to use epoxy styrene and futures/fcs boxes
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 am

petulance wrote:
Cranked wrote:After dicking around for nearly a year I've finally got a board that I like.

I brought an unridden Tuflite 6'8 Flyer with me, old style pointy nose, 20.5 width, deep single concave, no V, huge lift in the tail and nose but flat in the middle.

Best board I've had since the HPSBs of my youth
"Better" than the Fatburner? Just a deep single concave? Not single to double? Aren't single concaves built for speed?
The Fatburner is a great board, its a keeper and I regret not bringing it with me. Its faster than the Flyer. Like the gen 2 McCoys it has a flat tail rocker which limits its turning potential.

Gen 2 McCoys and the Fatburner have about 0.5" tail lift in the last 30", gen 1 Nuggets had a bit more than 1", Flyer has 1.75". That last 30" is where I ride a board, the rocket there is the most important for me. I like 3 stage rocker: lots of lift in the nose and tail, flatter in the middle
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 13, 2016 8:50 am

I'm going to contact someone about a second hand SLX Fatburner. All my boards have minimal nose and tail rocker.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 9:13 am

Yes, I agree on the Faty, also the Mini Fish(if you can find one) is a great experience once you've found the correct fins.

Yes, Cranked I knew you'd had a few AND ive tried(and own/owned) a few you've owned.However, it can be usual to experiment and feel good in certain conditions then down the track try the same set up in different circumstances and be disappointed.My memory of the 7/0 surftech(plain coloured, stripes had a different nose)demonstrated that.Initially I thought it went fantastic, so I sold the best custom GM made me.HUGE mistake, season change and different swell patterns and the tuflite wasn't doing it anymore.Sometimes its phsycological, a bad session sticks in your mind more than a good one.

I haven't tried the gen2 Asian models, only gen 1.So I cant comment apart from the fins are easy to change!

GM is SINGLE minded in more ways than what he rides.

I hope the Surftech keeps doing it for you.Another to try that I liked is the M(7/2,7/6,8/0)it has a number but cant recall...maybe 10?its a hybrid fun gun.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 am

petulance wrote:I'm going to contact someone about a second hand SLX Fatburner. All my boards have minimal nose and tail rocker.
Theres 2 models, 2nd one had quad/ thruster set up, first was thruster only.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri May 13, 2016 9:33 am

I have ridden the thruster only model. The epoxy version I'm looking at has five fin boxes.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri May 13, 2016 9:53 am

Interesting, I've been riding a McCoy 6'10 for the last couple of years (Rogers shaped so not quite the full McCoy) and I really like it in smaller waves, where the tail gives you a nice push. But I'm not quite loving it in steep jacking quick waves, because the tail gives you an almighty push.... Also I cant duck dive the thing - can get the nose down fine but the tail just bobs on the surface no matter what. Admittedly its 6'10 so there is that.

So have been thinking of trying something narrower tailed, the waterskate came to mind - although it seems like it might be an older and superseded design? Although that probably wont be the main issue; like cranked I like a bit of nose and tail rocker. Not that, nowdays, finding an alternative to the wider/thicker style board like the waterskate is all that hard.

Anyway, I like the debate. Got nothing to add to it.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 10:40 am

petulance wrote:I have ridden the thruster only model. The epoxy version I'm looking at has five fin boxes.
I own the 6/9 version 2, ive never used it a thruster though so cant say how they perform.As a quad, it FLYS.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 13, 2016 10:53 am

ctd wrote:Interesting, I've been riding a McCoy 6'10 for the last couple of years (Rogers shaped so not quite the full McCoy) and I really like it in smaller waves, where the tail gives you a nice push. But I'm not quite loving it in steep jacking quick waves, because the tail gives you an almighty push.... Also I cant duck dive the thing - can get the nose down fine but the tail just bobs on the surface no matter what. Admittedly its 6'10 so there is that.

So have been thinking of trying something narrower tailed, the waterskate came to mind - although it seems like it might be an older and superseded design? Although that probably wont be the main issue; like cranked I like a bit of nose and tail rocker. Not that, nowdays, finding an alternative to the wider/thicker style board like the waterskate is all that hard.

Anyway, I like the debate. Got nothing to add to it.
No debate, just observations and comments.

My first nugget was a Rogers, my current 6/10 is a Rogers.6/10x21.25x3&1/16....just a touch finer than a GM shape.Its still a 3 fin glass on but will be modded later this year.The minigun mCoy is a nice alternative with a narrower tail.My one is 7/2x20.5x3&1/8, pretty similar float to the 6/10 and goes quite well as a thruster.Its a custom GM shape.

Ive found nothing wrong with the 6/10 in solid waves up to 1.5x overhead, getting under them can be difficult, riding them is fine.However, when a boomer comes 2x(oh) I wished I had the mini gun for the longer arc projection.I'm sure that by quadding the 6/10, the 2x wont be a problem.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun May 15, 2016 8:17 am

Interesting points about tail lift. My couple of McTavishes both have heaps and they are insane wave catching machines. I bought a Wayne Lynch board years ago and it just seemed to push water by comparison. Guess it's only made for super steep take offs.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Some great quivers.....heres mine, and I will try and add photos later!

5'4" Mini Simmons by Black Apache
5'11" / 5'9" Assymetrical by Therapy
5'11" Brutus (High Performance Fish) by Elusiv (for sale)
6'0" Naughty Pussy (Standard Shortboard) by Elusiv
6'2" Russ Short Bonzer by Campbell Bros.
6'6" Step up by Simmo (for sale)
7'6" Midlength Single fin by Black Apache
9'3" Log by unknown!

I love having boards with distinctly different feels, but always nice to have the standard short board for when you just wanna be normal! Love to add some more unique styles to the line up - Tomo maybe? McCoy? 80's thruster? Twin?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 am

Straighthanded wrote:Some great quivers.....heres mine, and I will try and add photos later!

5'4" Mini Simmons by Black Apache
5'11" / 5'9" Assymetrical by Therapy
5'11" Brutus (High Performance Fish) by Elusiv (for sale)
6'0" Naughty Pussy (Standard Shortboard) by Elusiv
6'2" Russ Short Bonzer by Campbell Bros.
6'6" Step up by Simmo (for sale)
7'6" Midlength Single fin by Black Apache
9'3" Log by unknown!

I love having boards with distinctly different feels, but always nice to have the standard short board for when you just wanna be normal! Love to add some more unique styles to the line up - Tomo maybe? McCoy? 80's thruster? Twin?

Like saltman I'm keen to know what you think of the black Apache. Is it an "anchors"??

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu May 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Twins are great for smaller waves. Eighties thrusters seem well suited to overhead beach breaks.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Thu May 26, 2016 2:13 pm

Had the mid-length for 4 years - was actually a wedding gift from my wife with the Simmons - and don't think it is an official "Anchors". It was shaped when he just called it a mid length. The Anchors look similar in outline, but its hard to tell.

Basically its a beautifully made board, and when I do ride it, its cruisy, trim machine, easy paddler. Great allrounder for small waves on the points. I really don't ride it very often which I should rectify!