Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Quiver thread

Post by Beerfan » Sat May 20, 2017 12:39 pm

JaM71 wrote:
surfywurfy wrote:
JaM71 wrote:Looks beautiful toots, does the v stringer Have noticbly more flex than a conventional centre stringer
Only before the glass goes on, noticeable flex comes with the carbon tail.WHOOSH, the speed and drive is truly TURBO!

I haven't ridden or owned "the ultimate in flex" as Mitchell describes a V2 + carbon tail but from all reports they GO!...you only need a couple of grand to get one.
Thanks surfy, I imagine you'd need a reasonably clean, lined up wave as well as the two grand to truly make best use of the carbon flex tail. Might be a bit of an overkill on a 2-3ft beachie????

Still, his boards are beautiful & I love the wolf outline, the outline looks similiar to my Campbell Bros pod.
What's the go with the pod? what waves is it best in etc?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat May 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Beanpole wrote:Anyone know about board rentals in Fiji?
I'm going over for a wedding and its hand luggage only.
Pro's will be there warming up in a week or so Beany. Just ask Jordy or Owen. They'll prolly have a spare 6'3" to suit. :-D-:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Great....anything with razor sharp rails, heaps of rocker and wafer thin should suit.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Hey Beery, the pod found me & I am glad that it did. Batoes the bonzer prophet had been talking about them for ages when I found it secondhand in a local surf shop. Shaped by malcolm 3 months earlier & looked like it had been ridden 3 times so I figured I could sell it for what I bought it for.

It's not in the dims that I would ve ordered, it's pretty chunky but you don't feel it in the water. The description on the website doesn't reflect my experience because I prefer it in beachies which are punchy semi closeouts. It's so quick & drivey, a beautiful carver not flicky at all. It is based off the CI single fin that Machado rode a few years back.

I don't have a bad surf on it, it's not spectacular just solid, reliable & easy to paddle and catch waves with. I probably surf it a bit too laterally instead of off the bottom, off the top but the feeling of flying down the line is so fun. The board is solid
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun May 21, 2017 7:23 am

Yeah bloody batoes and his quiver! Ok cool, they all sound like a shed load of fun.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 am

Seems unanimous that an egg or pod etc..is always awesome fun to ride

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Yes, I reckon that a bonzer 3 egg with a light vehicle bottom would be epic but as I have a pod, I have no need at the moment. Hopefully, Batoes Will read this & after several sleepless nights place an order then tell us how it rides.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun May 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Lol

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 23, 2017 7:11 am

Cranked wrote:The two McCoy Zots have been working out really well for me since I had them converted to quads.

My wave count has gone up significantly. The 6'8 works really well in head and a half and I see no reason it won't handle double. The 6'1 is easily duck divable and will probably work in the same wave range but the 6'8 has a lot more paddle power.
Good to hear, I may invest in a 7 something XFzot....had 2 glass ones which I didn't like.

No more customs from GM, he is doing a lap this year and moving to sunny Qld in 2018(or after the house sells) the planar has been retired.

Ghost mCoys are still available in Byron, just not the REAL ones.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 am

Surfy, how much effort did you put into trying to get the zots to work as singles?

There's that vid of Alistair and Geoff discussing boards and mega claims for small singles (sub 6') in 15-25' faces in Hawaii and the ments
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Cranky, I had a loan of one for 3 months....tried it with the original GF/the extended tip and the mid range ball bearing GF(which is a bigger version of the original) plus plenty of other singles I owned.it went ordinary in lots of different waves.

A while later I bought a cheapy with wavegrinder fin and another fin( cant remember what it was like)and owned that board for a year.It went good once.i swapped it and the guy quadded it.He was friends with the owner of the one that was lent to me( that one got quadded too).

The one I owned was the subject of a thread in LOGs/alternatives....started by oldguy.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 am

old grom started that thread I'm referring to....

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue May 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Yeah, I wasted another good surf trying the gulwing again this morning. It's actually worse than trying to fight with one hand tied behind your back, there's just so many things that you can, and need to do that the gulwing can't do.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:57 am

I think there's something wrong with me. For the first time since I started surfing I feel like there's no room in my life for more boards.
Surely it's a passing phase.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 am

Probably by about lunchtime jet

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:32 pm

JET01 wrote:I think there's something wrong with me. For the first time since I started surfing I feel like there's no room in my life for more boards.
Surely it's a passing phase.
Yes, I have felt this a couple of times. The solution is slapping yourself around the head & selling 3 or 4 boards......then the cycle begins again

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Yep

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 am

Anyone ridden or spotted Joel Fitz riding his latest range of boards? The guy rips so hard but his boards look like fun boards, I guess he is going for a market and he is now based in Byron.