Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

Re: Quiver thread

Post by brendo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:42 pm

ok guys, im in the market for a new small wave board. bit of backstory.... .
returned to surfing after bit over 4yrs out with stuffed discs in my neck. finally got go ahead to return, still not sure if it will hold up but seems ok now. anyway my north coast shaper retired this yr and he has made my boards for20yrs. he knew how I surfed, I would go see him, tell him what I wanted or if standard shorty quick chat on dims that was it. none of this litres or models rubbish! I did get one ring in board from a syd shaper who wanted some feedback. that is a 5'10x19 1/4x2 3/8 28.7L. fuller shape, forward widepoint, slight hip in tail to squash. that board I got a yr before injury.good small wave board to solid 4ft. my hps is 6'2 x 18 3/4 x 2 5/16. he wanted to make a 6'1 but I always rode slighty longer boards as on nc surfed lennox point and few other points a lot. these days stuck in syd.
now obviously my surf fitness is shit! had a few surfs now its coming back. ive spotted a few boards round the place and have my eye on a 5'10 SA mollusc also a few JS models, hippee, ghetto cat, and I think blak box. the mollusc I really like the look and sound of. but im open to suggestions.
oh yea, and bloody fins! all my boards came with M5s for the price,now I find out fins don't come standard with a lot of boards. that's what I payed my shaper for, give me the best possible board/fin setup and just go surf!

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Check out page 24 onwards in this thread. I ended up with a Chilli Rare Bird. Only had 6 or so surfs on it, but happy so far.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 pm

BA wrote:Check out page 24 onwards in this thread. I ended up with a Chilli Rare Bird. Only had 6 or so surfs on it, but happy so far.
what size is it BA? riding it in small junk so far? theres a few rarebirds where I was looking also. seem similar to mollusc but need
to see both in the flesh to compare.
also anyone ridden annesley boards? looks like he has a few nice ones on his website.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:34 pm

I reckon talk to Josh, he is on Facebook. He seems to know his shite
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:21 pm

brendo wrote:
BA wrote:Check out page 24 onwards in this thread. I ended up with a Chilli Rare Bird. Only had 6 or so surfs on it, but happy so far.
what size is it BA? riding it in small junk so far? theres a few rarebirds where I was looking also. seem similar to mollusc but need
also anyone ridden annesley boards? looks like he has a few nice ones on his website.
I got a 5'10" x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2. 30 litres. Rode it up to head high in a south groundswell, but mostly waist/chest high stuff. Think it'd be sketchy in anything bigger than 4ft. Loves the small stuff. Great through the flats. Really gets up speed quickly on takeoff. Think it'll be great in typical spring/summer conditions in Sydney where you need to really generate your own speed.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:39 am

BA wrote:
brendo wrote:
I got a 5'10" x 19 3/4 x 2 1/2. 30 litres. Rode it up to head high in a south groundswell, but mostly waist/chest high stuff. Think it'd be sketchy in anything bigger than 4ft. Loves the small stuff. Great through the flats. Really gets up speed quickly on takeoff. Think it'll be great in typical spring/summer conditions in Sydney where you need to really generate your own speed.

sounds like a super fun board.

my magic green board is on its last legs. that's been my small wave board for 3 years now. might have a look at the rare bird for my next one.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:08 am

comparing the pic of the rare bird and mollusc, they have similar shape but the mollusc looks like the tail is
pulled in slighty more. im also looking at 5'10 in mollusc its 29.2l rarebird 5'11 31l. vol wise id say im leaning to the
mollusc.i see gumtree is loaded with guys offloading boards with to much vol or length. I also noticed talk of scifi.
saw one near new yesterday on the racks and one on gumtree week or two back. not sure that's a good sign after u guys
seeing a few second ones around.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 am

brendo wrote: oh yea, and bloody fins! all my boards came with M5s for the price,now I find out fins don't come standard with a lot of boards. that's what I payed my shaper for, give me the best possible board/fin setup and just go surf!
If you are sticking to FCS, you will now have the choice of X2 plugs and Fusion or FCS2 boxes with your new board.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:03 pm

I was after a mollusc originally, but they only had 6'0's and up. Way too much foam in them. I think the 5'10" will be a much better board. I like the fact that most of the foam in the chilli is under the chest. The nose and tail are foiled perfectly for what it's intended for. The tail is more of a thumb than round like the mollusc, but the rails are quite hard. It literally turns on a dime.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 pm

1200, geez he has pushed his prices up

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:56 pm

I like the look of the spudnick and 5 spark better than the mollusc for small waves.
Should be able to surf em in better waves as well as grovelling.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Fondled a chilli rare bird just today. Pretty handy looking board for small stuff.

From the weight the galssing must be very light though.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:32 pm

tootr wrote:Fondled a chilli rare bird just today. Pretty handy looking board for small stuff.

From the weight the galssing must be very light though.
Yeah, I mentioned somewhere that mine had some pressure dents after the first surf. Curse of the modern board.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Just picked up this mick rabbidge 6'10 single in VERY good condition (aside from grubby wax) scored it off gumtree in Bondi for $150 only.

It's the same board that was for sale on the central coast, though again reappeared on gummie (the dude lives in Bondi but has a holiday house / weekender up central coast but failed to sell it up there)

Feels Magic under the arm. The rail, rocker, foil and outline look beautiful. Subtle vee bottom nose to tail.

Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 pm

just wondering if you have any bigger photos?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:58 am

Absolute bargain, and a nice shade of dog dick red.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:27 am

this board will now be know as Iggys' Dog Lipstick.

put some side bites in it Iggs. They look horrible them unfilled holes.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:45 am

Yeah I'll get a set. True Ames probs. looks and feels like it'll handle some size and juice.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque