Quiver thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Quiver thread

Post by batoes » Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Davros wrote:Got to hear the ride report
okay preliminary report.

Once i got down to the beach i watched short boarders tearing up lips and getting barrels; it freaked me out. i was wishing for the CV2! But i knew, while the conditions weren’t ones i’d ride a hull in ordinarily, it was a new board and i wanted to get a feel.

Conditions: West wind, south swell, 3ft - low tide, barreling, but lining up and some, holding up.

Board: 6’7, 22, 2 7/8, flextail. S deck - all the meat is under the chest in the top third of the board. The rails are pinched - the deck is round, the hull is pronounced - the edges, foiled. 20 in the nose, 18 in the tail - it is wide! Flat rocker. some nose flip, but the tail is straight.

The paddle: was okay - but worse than i expected. my 6’6 (semi-hull) is much thinner and paddles better. It has heaps more rocker, but still paddles better, go figure…?) Still got most waves i paddled for. But i can’t quite figure out why it didn’t paddle super great. The nose spent a great deal of time under the water whilst paddling. Apparently that’s the sign of a good hull (according to lovelace).

The ride: it has a real ‘wow’ factor. It’s really distinct. The other semi-hull has a feeling of glide, but it is slow and quite measured. This is like being frictionless! First thing i noticed is how easy it is to turn compared to other bigger boards i’ve ridden. Maybe this has to do with the bladey rails or the fin being spot on (13inches - right in the middle), i’ve yet to work it out. But you pop up, lean your body and it bends into the wave before accelerating. Because the waves were barreling and fast, i paddled in really hard and popped up crouched, grabbed the rail and turned the board for many of the waves. Then, i either squatted and just flew down the line. On a few, i stood tall, moved further forward and really felt the speed. From the middle on one, i bucked up to the top of the wave, dropped down and then jammed a full rail turn to come back up again. I don’t know how it would have looked from shore, but from where i was - it felt amazing. Fast, free, and when you use you feet on the rail, it flicks into turns.
No barrels, but i think i will get the hang of it soon enough. The right hand was even stranger. It felt like i was skimming and going to slide out, but never did.

I can already tell, the experiment has paid off. While i realise the board will need to go through the rigorous ‘batman’ test of everything from ankle high slop to overhead glass - ultimately, i think you can tell when a board will work and it does. For a board this length and thickness, it feels quite nimble on the wave - it has the mlv thing going but a totally different ride.

I think it will absolutely excel in small waves when all you want is to get up and trim. Super glad the fin feels right, but i’ll likely try another eventually.

Not sure how the sidelights contribute - hold, turn etc?

But i felt the flex tail on all the bottom turns - it just pushes you out - quite a unique feeling. And when you duck dive, you can slot your knee in the gap where the volan and foam meet.

Keen for some Green Island action...
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Sat May 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Nice board batoes - glad it goes so well! And at that price you had to try it.

How good does the tail on it look!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat May 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Top review as per Batoes

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat May 28, 2016 9:07 pm

yeah - you don't find too many 'unusual' boards at that price. Glad to take a risk.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Nice one Batoes, great result and great to read about it.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:46 pm

My current, quiver. Most self shaped

5'4 x 19.25 - simlar to a tomo evo. Only had it a month or so. Loving it from 1-4 ft.
5'4 x 20.5 grovel monster. Super wide diamond tail, concave deck and bevel rails. Really fun in up to 3ft, using it less though with the above 5'4 around
5'4 x 22 lazy sunday. Super flat round nose soft squash tail carrying loads of volume for 0-2 ft
5'6 x 18.5 diamond tail shovel nose, concave deck and bevel rails. Bit under volumed for me so really should get rid of it. Rocker a bit flat so goes fast but doesnt like going top to bottom.
5'9 x 20 round pin 4 channel quad, again a bit flat in rocker. Super fun in clean down the line waves, a pig in anything else.
6'1 x 19.25 wide swallow tailed shortboard intended as a good wave/ step up. Probky needs a bit more foam in the rails and a touch more entry rocker, but is really good in the batrel and drawing long lines on the face so i'll hang onto it for now.
6'3 x 19.5 wide point forward round tail stepup kinda like a rusty slayer. Hasnt been used in a while ... might get sesh this week.
7'4 x 19.5 raptor tailed mini gun - copied off the bolt ones tomo did a few years back. Surfed it at good sized (for me) sunset and got the biggest wave of my life, havent had the need for it since.

Currently in planning/production:
5'5.5 x 19 six channel vanguard, been shaped waiting for glass for over a year oops.
5'11 round tail round nose sent off to be cut this week to act as a step for waves you'd ride a 6'4 round pin step up in.
5'9 wide tail, round nose with the same tail as my 6'1. To act as a good wave board for when the 5'4 and 5'5 tomo style boards need a bit more paddle power.

Depending on if i like the 5'9 or 5'11 better will make another one bigger around the 6'3 for bigger waves again.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Im thinking my next board will be a double ender, hull bottom, single. Will leave the size up to my shaper as trust him totally. My reason behind this is im looking for something more relaxing to ride with beautiful lines and glide. I love the feel of riding with my ankles and should be fun in smaller surf. Plenty of time to think. I guess when im ready i will leave it up to my shaper with instructions of " surprise me"
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Sounds like Dick Van could be your man

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:01 pm

diggerdickson wrote:Im thinking my next board will be a double ender, hull bottom, single. Will leave the size up to my shaper as trust him totally. My reason behind this is im looking for something more relaxing to ride with beautiful lines and glide. I love the feel of riding with my ankles and should be fun in smaller surf. Plenty of time to think. I guess when im ready i will leave it up to my shaper with instructions of " surprise me"
Sounds very nice. Keen to hear who your shaper is Digger?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:03 pm

saltman wrote:Huie?
Until Huie retires to the stage of never touching a planer again then he is the only one. Once I have to move on I will probably move to either Yorky or Mr John Harris. Im leaning toward Yorky as I sorta know him and spent a bit of time with him when he was in Coolum. Had so many laughs with the guy in his bay at night, sharing some beers, a true Ledge of a bloke.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:33 am

when grown men are talking double enders, i just can't contain my excitement.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:41 am

I'm gonna get a good single fin.

This last swell i was out the front with all the local pro's and sponsored guys ... and then an older guy paddles out in a lull on a morning of the earth single flyer single fin. He ate shit on his first wave ... he just got devoured right in front of me.

... from that point on though, he proceeded to put on a style clinic. the way the single ate up those big, massive wave faces and then just speared any hollow end section he came across. watching him paddle that thing too. it was planing like an 8-foot longboard as he paddled literal circles around me.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Bonzer baby.

single with benefits.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Anyone know if some good mid length surfing clips?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 pm

steve shearer wrote:Bonzer baby.

single with benefits.

those little side fins are nothing more than stabilisers, huh shep? a bit like how mr will give you a little third stabiliser fin in his twins.
Kunji wrote:

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Nope.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:05 pm

tootles, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Kunji wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Think fast, free and positive Braithwaite.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable