Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:39 pm

steve shearer wrote:
tootr wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Does anyone else find it strange that a statutory body like the DPI should be conducting a survey on netting?

Since when has it been appropriate for govt bodies to conduct operations according to public opinion?

I find it highly irregular. My feeling is the DPI does not want to conduct the netting trial and are trying to put backwards pressure on the state govt.
You can bet some organisations are getting their people to stack the survey.
Wonder if they will have full transparency on the survey results.
I guess people could just lie about which postcode they are in.

i know people filling it out from here because they are "regulars" of the area.

... all i know is this; the shark issue is for the people who live there. not for websites, magazines and forum boards, but the people there on the ground.

that time i got personal with you about you not growing up there, so don't be having your 2-cents. well, i was wrong. that has nothing to do with anything. you live there, it's you, your friends and your family in the water. you have a right to say & do anything you want.

(that feels better. haha)
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Should it be limited to people who regularly spend a fair amount of time in the water, after all they are the people at risk.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't think you can limit people's democratic right to express how the government manages the common estate Cranked. But this will be emblematic of a continuing social phenomena: and that is as we become more and more an urban species and the weight of numbers and democratic power becomes centred in the cities they will exercise more and more power over others who live outside the cities. Whether that is good or bad very much depends on what side of the power equation you sit on.

Thanks Braithy, I respect people have very different views on this matter.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:I don't think you can limit people's democratic right to express
True but, what about the demographic right ?

I've read some pretty ill-informed tripe dished up by people who I consider to have next to no right at all in voicing an opinion.

Mostly on the harden the frock up you girly surfers its the sharks home not youse, mentality. Comments from people living in New Zealand, the good ol' US of A and Mount Druit ... yes Mount bloody Druit. Not that I've got anything against the good people of Mount Druit, I think Loofy lives there, doesn't he ?

Imagine half of the Lennox Heads population heading down to Sydney's western suburbs and trying to tell them how to jack up a car, steal the rims and leave it sitting on bricks. That'd get the locals stonewashed denim knickers in a knot.

But seriously, its the local population that has the most at stake here, not some numbat from Numeralla.

Now: Numeralla is a small village situated on the banks of the Numeralla River, a perennial river that is part of the Murrumbidgee catchment within the Murray–Darling basin, Monaro region of New South Wales, Australia. The Numeralla River is fresh water and as such has no sharks. The population of Numeralla decided to keeping their collective noses out of other peoples business, especially when it came to salt water. Bill a local at the only watering hole in town was quoted as saying "stone the flamin' crows mate, the closest we ever get to salt water is on our monthly tequila nights, and even then theres no bloody water involved" ... thanks Bill, wise words indeed.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Womble you don't need to jack up a car to steal it's wheels.
Just stack some bricks under each corner and let the tyres down. Then the wheels will slide off no problem.

You're welcome.

Any time.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:54 pm

old trevor the unsavoury criminal, is it?
Kunji wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:59 pm

I like the sounds of old Bill.

There should be one Sydney council and then larger regional councils. People leave the city to live in the regional areas, it's not fair that city folk have a say over our country cousins in anyway shape or form, even if some of/most of the funding comes from here.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Braithy wrote:old trevor the unsavoury criminal, is it?
:d 3-)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Braithy wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
tootr wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Does anyone else find it strange that a statutory body like the DPI should be conducting a survey on netting?

Since when has it been appropriate for govt bodies to conduct operations according to public opinion?

I find it highly irregular. My feeling is the DPI does not want to conduct the netting trial and are trying to put backwards pressure on the state govt.

... all i know is this; the shark issue is for the people who live there. not for websites, magazines and forum boards, but the people there on the ground.

that time i got personal with you about you not growing up there, so don't be having your 2-cents. well, i was wrong. that has nothing to do with anything. you live there, it's you, your friends and your family in the water. you have a right to say & do anything you want.

So you are saying people have no right to be concerned about environmental issues of they don't live in the area?

Absolute f$$$$n codswallop old boy.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 pm

Well the mining industry thinks so.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:19 pm

Just did the survey :-D-:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:51 pm

Drailed wrote:
Braithy wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
tootr wrote:

So you are saying people have no right to be concerned about environmental issues of they don't live in the area?

no, you daft geezer.

all the posturing from surf websites and surf mags about what should be done who aren't based there, should stfu and let the gov & council & local people deal with the issue.

the community there is divided ... all this extra sideways noise being thrown around isn't helping the problem, it's confusing it more.
Kunji wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 pm

Pleased to be of service. I think I've sorted everything out for you simple country folk.....now I can just ride into the sunset whistling after a job well done.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:20 am

Drailed wrote: ....

If its a life and death situation for those that live in that area and not for the others concerned, then I think they have a right to be concerned but not a right to determine the outcome of a decision that directly effects the life and safety of those that live there and are threatened
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 am

Its not life and death though, its a chosen hobby, a past time, sport. Put nets in, have a cull - I honestly don't give a fcuck but lets be honest about it, its just to save people who want to play in the water regardless of how seriously they take it.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:57 am

Drailed wrote:Its not life and death though, its a chosen hobby, a past time, sport. Put nets in, have a cull - I honestly don't give a fcuck but lets be honest about it, its just to save people who want to play in the water regardless of how seriously they take it.
Actually, life and death is exactly what its about. Saving peoples lives and livelihoods. Thats the problem with bringing in the peanut gallery, they don't, won't and blatantly refuse to look at the bigger picture.

So while saving people who want to play in the water is a primary factor in the discussion, its not the sole beneficiary. Theres a lot of businesses being affected too, retail, accommodation, cafes, restaurants ... tourism.

Tourism, yep thats the one, a very large piece of the pie that feeds people in the area, and not just the ones who want to play in the water. The high incident of shark attacks is affecting them too. So while the surfing community may be a major stakeholders, its of broader community concern.

Imagine the uproar if all of a sudden swimmers in Bondi started getting chomped because someone from Brixton who'd just discovered Sea Shepherd thought shark nets were a bad idea. And just for the record Bondi and surrounding beaches have been netted since about 1937, that 70 years.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:17 am

Drailed wrote:Its not life and death though, its a chosen hobby, a past time, sport. Put nets in, have a cull - I honestly don't give a fcuck but lets be honest about it, its just to save people who want to play in the water regardless of how seriously they take it.

you know my stance on the debate. live and let live. we go to them, they're not knocking on our front door and swimming through our windows and then eating us etc ... but, there is a pretty far reaching side effect from the attacks as far as businesses go around that area. many are going slowly broke.

sure, you could make the argument if you've built your life around the fickleness of the ocean you just gotta deal with it and all that. but, imo we should have more empathy than that. watching people go under with their businesses just doesn't sit comfortably with me. so if something needs to be done, then what?

it's a conflicting time, because i (and many others, who're much smarter than me) can't see how culling a few sharks would even fix the problem. nature has a way of not letting that concern it. like in magpie season, it's the male magpie which swoops people, protecting the female and the chicks. if that male gets killed, the female immediately calls another male to protect. you can kill 5 magpies each day and on the 6th day there'll be a new magpie waiting for you. rinse and repeat until the chicks are old enough to leave the nest. so culling a few big sharks, there's no reason to think they won't be just replaced. culling juveniles that aren't a threat to humans could have a devastating effect on their numbers, and there's papers out there suggesting that could in effect wipe the species out within 35 years.

so are we going to keep culling & wipe out a whole species until attacks cease? what's the actual plan for culling? the plan is, there is no plan. and there are lots of people in that area who have a problem with that particular non-plan.

the twits on facebook and surf sites calling for drumlines ... the white shark problem on the east coast is almost identical to the one on the west coast ... yet in the 8 month trial of drumlines over there, they accounted for exactly zero whites. they were all tigers caught. so there's no reason to think drumlines will work in ballina. and a big baited hook catching bulls and tigers while they slowly bleed out, there's a theory that will bring even more whites to the area, because whites love eating other injured sharks.

so that leaves nets.

nets are a mess. i've worked on them, i've protested against them and spent a year donating my time (ok, it was community service to pay 4 traffic fines, lol) to surfriders formally rallying the council against them. the amount of marine life caught in them all based on a theory that it "may" disrupt sharks swimming patterns seems like a big call to make.

i still paddle out semi regularly to the ones out near me and see all kinds of turtles, rays, big fish and the occasional dolphin in them. so i can see why people in the byron area are willing to cut them down as soon as they're up.

so ... like i said, the people directly effected – and i mean the ones suffering financially from business loss – should carry the most weight in this argument. talking heads not living in the area (like myself right now. haha) need to just step back and have faith that whatever is done, will be something meaningful and successful.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 am

edit: womble beat me to it!
Kunji wrote: