Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by brendo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 pm

One of the boys posted a pic of 3m white hooked off the drum lines floating on its back off trestles. A good white is a dead white

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Apparently that one was alive and released Brendo.

This one from today is a bit bigger:

NSWDPI advise 3.25m Female White Shark caught on SMART drumlines at Seven Mile Beach, Lennox. Shark tagged & released offshore.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Nother one from this afternoon.

NSWDPI advise 2.3m Female White Shark caught on SMART Drumlines at Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head. Shark tagged and released offshore.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Anyone plotting the catch frequency?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm

per drumline or per region?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Either. Just meant whether anyone has looked at regional or temporal differences. Recognising the short data set.

I may have a play with the data tonight. Seems to be a pretty high catch rate for an endangered species...and no recaptures as far as I have heard.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm
Nother one from this afternoon.

NSWDPI advise 2.3m Female White Shark caught on SMART Drumlines at Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head. Shark tagged and released offshore.

I used to surf broken back beaches abit, sometimes solo. just don't think id do that these days. back then it would
be in the back of my mind id be stuffed getting injured, but a shark bite? youre gunna bleed out...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm

been a few recaptures Boo.

I don't have a complete record of them but they have been documented on the sharksmart twitter feed.

muggins
Local

Post by muggins » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm

:roll:
Last edited by muggins on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm

maybe the shark just like surfing and get mad at sharing the waves ... (from WA - stolen from abc website, which also has a 'cool' video http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-20/h ... zy/8724660 )

8725446-3x2-700x467.jpg

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 pm

4 more tagged off Evans today/yesterday.

SharkSmart‏ @NSWSharkSmart 1h1 hour ago
More
NSWDPI report a 2.7m Male White Shark caught off SMART drumlines at Main Beach, Evans Head. Shark tagged and released offshore.

More
NSWDPI report 2.35m Male White Shark caught on SMART drumlines at Main Beach, Evans Head. Shark tagged & released offshore.

More
NSWDPI report a 2.95m Male White Shark caught on SMART drumlines at Airforce Beach, Evans Head. Shark tagged & released offshore.

SharkSmart‏ @NSWSharkSmart 1d1 day ago
More
NSWDPI report a 1.95m Male White Shark caught off SMART drumlines at Main Beach, Evans Head. Shark tagged and released offshore.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:58 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Maybe some of it is people changing their behaviour. It's not really being examined or observed which I think is a shame, there's as much to be learned through that as there is through counting sharks etc.

For eg?
Well it's the other side of the interaction isn't it. I don't have any example, but who is actually studying the human behaviour? If people haven't changed their behaviour as a result of 2015/16 it would defy all belief, we all know it's had a wide range of effects, but what exactly are those effects? Like you will be watching your own and gaining anecdotal evidence from your surfing etc, but that's kind of limited to what you're doing. Are people surfing more? Less? Do they watch what they are doing more closely and how? Are they riding different boards? Do their partners etc have fears and do those transmitted fears affect how they behave around the water? What are regular beachgoers doing?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:32 am

I'm sure, well I know, there's been a whole host of subjective changes in peoples behaviour: including stopping their kids surfing, not surfing certain spots, clustering in crowds, reducing the time they surf etc etc but my point is I'm not sure any of that reduces the macro chances of a shark interaction/encounter/attack.

What was so interesting about that J-Bay shark was seeing just how comfortable they are cruising in clear, shallow water along and in the surf line. And that shark- sub-adult in the 10 ft range- is very similar to the ones we are seeing so abundantly around here.

I've told this story many times but winter 2014 I watched a similar sized white cruise the lineup at Lennox Point on a beautiful winters afternoon. That shark cruised within 6 ft of about 25-30 surfers and not one of them saw it due to the angle of the sun. It was the perfect line for an ambush predator.

But maybe that crowd was protective, the shark didn't feel confident enough in picking off a single target. And maybe just 2 guys in the water, as there was at J-Bay was less protective and a white shark might have been more emboldened to circle and attack a surfer.
This is classic predator/prey behaviour. The predator has to pick out an individual to attack, the prey animals cluster together in herds/schools etc etc. The predator wants to get the slower/weaker individual to reduce energy expenditure, reduce chances of injury to itself.

So I guess a major behaviour change is now a reversion to classic biological prey behaviour en masse.

Do you get the drift of what I'm saying?

I'm very wary/attentive in the water now, but I know that sometimes, paddling back along the surf line with the winter sun behind me, a white could be a foot away and I would never see it.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:49 am

I was chatting to my mate today about this, various shark encounters he's had spearing or freediving and each one where he was bumped he never saw it coming despite 40+m viz. Literally, not a sniff
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:18 am

Ground rules for surfing in Australias new "time of sharks":

1. Surf as little as possible
2. Surf with as many other surfers as possible

You would have to be stupid though if you did not recognise that there will be a huge increase in attacks as the effects of protection of our major predator, and its prey species, result in a geometric progression of the great white numbers in coastal waters.

Best strategy though is to move to our virtually shark-attack-free neighbour Indonesia.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 am

I did have visions of, in my retirement, surfing the NW and southern coastlines of WA, the two most under populated and undersurfed coastlines in the world.

Although I knew there were sharks, in the past I always took comfort from the fact that no surfer had ever been killed by a shark in WA. In fact the first death was only about 13 years ago, up until that time I surfed the freakiest of places by myself, scared at times, but relying on that one beautiful fact.

Now its been 16 deaths in 13 years and my, and most other surfers, behaviour has changed.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 am

I've wondered if surfers behaviour in the water confuses sharks as well. Since we often don't see them we may very often just paddle straight towards them or ignore their advance. Equally you might just be trying to catch a wave and the shark reacts to this as trying to get away and attacks.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 am

Tagged fish from 8 Dec 16 to 7 Jun 17

GWS 31
Tiger 3
Grey Nurse 2
Bull 3

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/shark ... 0-may-2017