Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

carvin marvin
charger

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 am

Here is the latest news on how the Ballina 7 are going to be dealt with.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/inc ... n/2740638/

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:54 am

^^^
That sounds a good outcome. I doubt they will actually tag all 7, if any of them. Probably it is just a PR announcement aimed to quiet the public, like announcing a review. I'm just plain nosey about whether the same sharks will turn up again next year.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:09 am

Cool!
More sightings, more publicity, = ??fewer surfers??

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:15 am

woolly wrote:Some interesting reading in beachgrit.
"If you want to boil it down to a moral judgement, most people, having thought it through, have decided they value the lives of their friends over that of a shark."
Couldn't agree more.
Absolutely, in fact anyone's life or limbs. It's not that I hate sharks, they are beautiful killing machines, its just a simple moral judgement. I'm surprised that the no cull lobby has been able to hold sway. I guess it's because they are so organised and experienced, unlike a ragtag bunch of surfers.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 am

Lol @ steves shortsightedness. If you value your life or your friends lives, stay out of the water! Come back in month or so. I guess thats the effects of fear, his mind is mashed with irrational thoughts and logical fallacies.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:01 pm

foamy wrote:^^^
That sounds a good outcome. I doubt they will actually tag all 7, if any of them. Probably it is just a PR announcement aimed to quiet the public, like announcing a review. I'm just plain nosey about whether the same sharks will turn up again next year.
Surprisingly there is going to be action, was listening to local ABC radio this morning and they interviewed a shark expert who is arriving with a team next week to search for and tag "The Ballina Seven''.

I just hope the general public get to name each of the seven, and we can follow their movements and get an understanding of how far they travel and if they come back next year.

I think one of them should be named Fongssey.

Still think all that discoloured water being pumped from the beach replenishment program into the ocean at Evans Head for the past 5 weeks is the number one possible reason for the attack.
For anyone who has not surfed there, there is a current that runs out beside the breakwall, this is where surfers enter the surf, you hardly need to paddle, and all the dirty water was flowing into this current.

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 pm

Interesting to see how they will tag the Ballina 7. Are they gonna burley to attract them? Or some chopper swat team try to find them then call in a boat waiting on standby to beach launch? Of tag them from the air?!?!? Actions stations men we've spotted one, all systems go! Presume they are going to (try to) smart tag them and drop some more listening buoys in the area?
Maybe they'll do as they did in Sydney Harbour to tag bull sharks, which was lots of baited set lines (mostly done at night for the bulls) and a lot of waiting around next to the lines so they could bring the sharks to the boat as soon as possible after hooking. Might be a lot more difficult on open ocean.
Last edited by bomboraa on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:06 pm

woolly wrote:Some interesting reading in beachgrit.
"If you want to boil it down to a moral judgement, most people, having thought it through, have decided they value the lives of their friends over that of a shark."
Couldn't agree more.
yeah but are you happy about killing a big living creature, or like six or seven of them, so you can go for a surf in apparent safety, rather than wait a week till they've left the area?

Nobody's friends are in any danger at all from a shark if they're not in the water.

You can't bring that Japanese kid back by killing sharks.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: yeah but are you happy about killing a big living creature, or like six or seven of them, so you can go for a surf in apparent safety, rather than wait a week till they've left the area?

Nobody's friends are in any danger at all from a shark if they're not in the water.

You can't bring that Japanese kid back by killing sharks.
I think people have been waiting a week since February. Plus, there is currently no way to be sure when the week is up, when the normal level of safety has returned, and how long before another many months long week starts again?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:07 pm

oh no ... people have to wait longer than a week to surf to feel safe again?

... or, perish the thought, drive 10-30 minutes north. oh the humanity.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Talk about first world problems. I'm sure the kids in war torn Syria feel terrible about the north coast surfers plight

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:21 pm

bomboraa wrote:Interesting to see how they will tag the Ballina 7. Are they gonna burley to attract them? Or some chopper swat team try to find them then call in a boat waiting on standby to beach launch? Of tag them from the air?!?!? Actions stations men we've spotted one, all systems go! Presume they are going to (try to) smart tag them and drop some more listening buoys in the area?
Maybe they'll do as they did in Sydney Harbour to tag bull sharks, which was lots of baited set lines (done at night for the bulls) and a lot of waiting around next to the lines so they could bring the sharks to the boat as soon as possible after hooking. Might be a lot more difficult on open ocean.
They've got mark visser on speed dial, he's going to be shot out of a canon from Lismore, use a wingsuit to fly to the sharks which will be covered in glow sticks by the DPI fishermen. Mark will then use his momentum to skim the sharks out to the shelf, and on the way out he'll tag them with his bare feet

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:22 pm

alakaboo wrote:
bomboraa wrote:Interesting to see how they will tag the Ballina 7. Are they gonna burley to attract them? Or some chopper swat team try to find them then call in a boat waiting on standby to beach launch? Of tag them from the air?!?!? Actions stations men we've spotted one, all systems go! Presume they are going to (try to) smart tag them and drop some more listening buoys in the area?
Maybe they'll do as they did in Sydney Harbour to tag bull sharks, which was lots of baited set lines (done at night for the bulls) and a lot of waiting around next to the lines so they could bring the sharks to the boat as soon as possible after hooking. Might be a lot more difficult on open ocean.
They've got mark visser on speed dial, he's going to be shot out of a canon from Lismore, use a wingsuit to fly to the sharks which will be covered in glow sticks by the DPI fishermen. Mark will then use his momentum to skim the sharks out to the shelf, and on the way out he'll tag them with his bare feet
Ah, I figured it would be the usual way.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:24 pm

it's good work if you can get it.
Kunji wrote:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Fair points Braithy and Beerfan.
And those observations can really answer every complaint.
You just say,
1) Well, do something else then.
or
2) The kids in war torn Syria don't care.

And I thought an ombudsman's job might be a bit tough.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:17 pm

But it's not just surfers, it's the whole economy dependent on having swimable beaches

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 pm

good one mik.

tracks did a real good job with that little doco.

joel fitz nailed it.

paraphrasing ... "If i see a fin or a shark cruising the point, i'll probably give surfing a miss for the day and come back and surf it the next day. the media overhypes it and goes looking for sharks to promote the fear factor of it all."

the (mainstream) media's soul purpose is to sell copy and nothing sells like drama does.
Kunji wrote: