Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by foamy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:34 pm

They are not mucking about with the tagging. They are planning to put 3 tags in each shark.
A colour coded streamer tag (they are temporary, they get knocked off)
A GPS tag and
An acoustic tag, inserted in the belly flesh which can work for 10 years.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:42 pm

The whale population that travels up and down the NSW east coast has been growing by 10% a year. Given whales are an important GWS food source, shark numbers are probably increasing at a similar rate. A local shark cull won't have much effect if the gravy train of blubber is going to keep increasing. Unless someone comes up with some new tech - permanent nets or drum lines are the only option for the Shark Coast.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:46 pm

the problem with the "sharks aren't that endangered," point you are attempting to make woolly ... is the gene pool of prehistoric whites is very thin.

while the juvenile numbers of whites may have increased recently (and this is terrific news), the big breeding adults are still thin, and it's the adults who need to be diverse in their gene pool to sustain the population.

ie was listening to a white expert in south africa saying there are not enough big (5m plus) breeding females to start killing them. and if we do kill them, the numbers are so few that the population will be decimated within half a century through the fact the gene pool won't be diverse enough to sustain them.

they're a slow growing, slow to sexually mature and live for over 70 years. standford university in the states recently said there were less than 3500 in the wild today with around just 500 of them to be big breeding females.

and for the love of god mate, don't get any information from the telegraph, australian or courier mail when it comes to whites. knowledge, education and reason does not sell papers. whipping up extreme fear does.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 pm

I think we need to teach them, not kill them. They will most likely learn to avoid biting humans if it almost kills them, or at least feels like it almost kills them.
Maybe we can invent some self defence method that actually almost kills them, maybe sometimes does kill them, and ideally always kills them if applied repeatedly, so that any sharks who don't get it are removed from the gene pool.

If this (yet to be invented) method is only deployed when an attack is imminent or in progress, then the 'protected species' stuff does not matter. It would be self defence.

Maybe a wetsuit could be impregnated with a strong fish poison in such a way that it only gets released when the wetsuit gets bitten or cut. Biting the wetsuit once would taste very foul immediately, and then make the shark quite sick for days or weeks, so s/he will associate biting a human with this sickness, and remember it well. Maybe one could use a shark-specific neuro-toxin that starts to work within seconds, so that the attack is terminated while the shark gets sick and the survival chances for the attack victim are improved.

Pipe dreams, I know, but I would like to work towards a sustainable living arrangement that includes surfing on planet Earth.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:50 pm

With part of the Ballina 7 money, they have contracted an independent company to research best methods to improve safety long term.

The head shark scientist with NSW DPI, Dr Vic Peddemors, said in passing that it is of interest when communities hit a tipping point. He characterised the far north coast as having a relatively strong green outlook that normally accepts sharks in their midst, but communities hit tipping points when they say enough is enough. With the number of incidents, the far north coast has hit that tipping point about public safety. I think Peddemors is just rapt he's got some money to do some good science.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Almighty God wrote:
alakaboo wrote:So 1 GWS culled a year and you think that's keeping people safe in Sydney?
And you don't have a problem with value judgments between people and animals but do when between animals?
Your argument is internally inconsistent.
totally agree...but is that what is completely consistent about this debate...that almost everyones views are inconsistent..

I continue to sit on the fence...but am enjoying the discussion, for the most part
For god's sake AMG, talk about inconsistent:
GENESIS 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image ...
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-1-26/
And God said, Let vs make man in our Image, after our likenesse: and let .... That God gave to man a dominion over the inferior creatures, over fish of the sea, ...
Psalm 8:6 You made them rulers over the works of your ...
biblehub.com/psalms/8-6.htm
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things ... Man has sovereign dominion over the inferior creatures, under God, and is ...
Genesis 1:26 NLT: Then God said, "Let us make human ...
biblehub.com/nlt/genesis/1-26.htm
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them .... That God gave to man a dominion over the inferior creatures, over fish of the sea ...
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the ...
biblehub.com/genesis/9-2.htm
GOD'S WORD® Translation ... 9:1-3 The blessing of God is the cause of our doing well. ... (1) man's actual dominion over such of the creatures as are either ... re-establishes man's dominion over the inferior animals; it was now founded not as ...
Psalm 8:5 You have made them a little lower than the ...
biblehub.com/psalms/8-5.htm
Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and ... Man has sovereign dominion over the inferior creatures, under God, and is
How about you set more of an example for us and lift your game?

Or are you and Braithy in cahoots (and probably ER too) and have been secretly working on the new book of revelations, El Nuavo Revelacion de Braithicus, in readiness for the immanent second coming
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:23 pm

woolly wrote: The killing or removal of any shark will be penalized by a mandatory life sentence for any perpetrator proven to be in breach of the code.

we can only dream old son.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:30 pm

MrMik wrote:I think we need to teach them, not kill them. They will most likely learn to avoid biting humans if it almost kills them, or at least feels like it almost kills them.
Maybe we can invent some self defence method that actually almost kills them, maybe sometimes does kill them, and ideally always kills them if applied repeatedly, so that any sharks who don't get it are removed from the gene pool.

it's not as crazy as it sounds. in the NT they are training quolls not to eat cane toads.

they catch the quoll and feed them for a few months ... then they start to feed them cane toad-poisoned sausage which looks like a cane toad. it gives them a non-lethal dose of the poison, but it makes them sick for a week at a time.

they claim by the 4th or 5th time of feeding the quolls the quolls will rather starve over eating them. they then release them into the wild and the quolls are no longer killing themselves by eating cane toads.

not only that, but this process is also genetically imprinting this information into quoll dna, so future gens are no longer eating the toads too.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:31 pm

woolly wrote:It's fact mate. I read it in the Telegraph.
:lol:

sorry for getting under your feathers earlier in the week with a few prickish comments.

sincerely.
Kunji wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:33 pm

You left of the reference Wooly, I do believe its 3:6 El Nuavo Revelacion de Braithicus

Understandably Wooly, Braithy was a bit overworked, what with the new release and all
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Cranked wrote:
Almighty God wrote:
alakaboo wrote:So 1 GWS culled a year and you think that's keeping people safe in Sydney?
And you don't have a problem with value judgments between people and animals but do when between animals?
totally agree...but is that what is completely consistent about this debate...that almost everyones views are inconsistent..

I continue to sit on the fence...but am enjoying the discussion, for the most part
And God said, Let vs make man in our Image, after our likenesse: and let .... That God gave to man a dominion over the inferior creatures, over fish of the sea, ...
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things ... Man has sovereign dominion over the inferior creatures, under God, and is ...
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them .... That God gave to man a dominion over the inferior creatures, over fish of the sea ...
GOD'S WORD® Translation ... 9:1-3 The blessing of God is the cause of our doing well. ... (1) man's actual dominion over such of the creatures as are either ... re-establishes man's dominion over the inferior animals; it was now founded not as ...
Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and ... Man has sovereign dominion over the inferior creatures, under God, and is

Or are you and Braithy in cahoots (and probably ER too) and have been secretly working on the new book of revelations, El Nuavo Revelacion de Braithicus, in readiness for the immanent second coming
well i am just glad someone is paying attention to something I say...I take the Nick Kyrgios approach to life...its better to be thought of as a complete imbecile...than not thought of at all

consistently inconsistent...now that may just be the name of my next book

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:11 pm

foamy wrote:With part of the Ballina 7 money, they have contracted an independent company to research best methods to improve safety long term.

The head shark scientist with NSW DPI, Dr Vic Peddemors, said in passing that it is of interest when communities hit a tipping point. He characterised the far north coast as having a relatively strong green outlook that normally accepts sharks in their midst, but communities hit tipping points when they say enough is enough. With the number of incidents, the far north coast has hit that tipping point about public safety. I think Peddemors is just rapt he's got some money to do some good science.
Vic's a good bloke. A former Saffa absolutely committed to finding ways of protecting people but also with the least possible impact on shark population.Not a zealot of either camp. Supports the NSW netting scheme and ways to improve it.
But if you want to have a few nightmares, his photos of victims from South African beaches will do that: one shows a poor bastard with a perfect huge crescent removed from his body, from his armpit to his hips and deep past the spine. One bite. Twas a very big bull shark.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Cranked your inconsistencies are:

You said that shark netting saves lives by culling great whites, but then said they catch very few.
The data also shows that the whites they do catch are small and thus not a threat, by popular consensus.

You said that sharks shouldn't be valued more highly than other animals, of which you are one. You are saying that your ethical judgment is more valid than braithy's.

I think that netting works, but by removing a food source not by removing the 'problem sharks'.

They tag and relocate sharks in Brazil, afaik it is the only effective measure.

I am interested that nobody is calling for a dolphin cull, when I suspect that the dolphins herding baitfish are what the sharks are feeding on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 pm

MrMik wrote:I think we need to teach them, not kill them. They will most likely learn to avoid biting humans if it almost kills them, or at least feels like it almost kills them.

If this (yet to be invented) method is only deployed when an attack is imminent or in progress, then the 'protected species' stuff does not matter. It would be self defence.

Maybe a wetsuit could be impregnated with a strong fish poison in such a way that it only gets released when the wetsuit gets bitten or cut. Biting the wetsuit once would taste very foul immediately, and then make the shark quite sick for days or weeks, so s/he will associate biting a human with this sickness, and remember it well. Maybe one could use a shark-specific neuro-toxin that starts to work within seconds, so that the attack is terminated while the shark gets sick and the survival chances for the attack victim are improved.

Pipe dreams, I know, but I would like to work towards a sustainable living arrangement that includes surfing on planet Earth.
Well how about going the other way. Like teach yourself about sharks through direct contact. I don't mean one of those cage shark dive things with big white sharks, but a series of open water non cage dives with the vastly more common species, whalers, Galapagos, nurse, sand sharks etc

It'd really open your eyes about how sharks behave around other living things, including us.

I'm only talking from personal experience, but every second I've spent underwater looking at sharks has been a second well spent, some of it has felt a bit dangerous but in every case the danger has been predictably and instantly eased by how you choose to behave in response to the sharks.

Re shark education, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of sharks are already a bit spun out by their contact with humans, it's probably why they are generally very wary of people indeed.

the prawn
Duke Status

Post by the prawn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 pm

Carpet bomb the joint with Orca. Problem solved.
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

regular

Post by 8 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:06 pm

I say carpet bomb all orcas and other whale species....

Will all those luke warm blubberry bits floating about what shark will give a Fuck about a bony hairless ape flapping about on some fibreglass and foam?

Problem solved. Youse can pay me later it's sweet.

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Well how about going the other way. Like teach yourself about sharks through direct contact. I don't mean one of those cage shark dive things with big white sharks, but a series of open water non cage dives with the vastly more common species, whalers, Galapagos, nurse, sand sharks etc

It'd really open your eyes about how sharks behave around other living things, including us.

I'm only talking from personal experience, but every second I've spent underwater looking at sharks has been a second well spent, some of it has felt a bit dangerous but in every case the danger has been predictably and instantly eased by how you choose to behave in response to the sharks.

Re shark education, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of sharks are already a bit spun out by their contact with humans, it's probably why they are generally very wary of people indeed.
Not a bad idea, I'd like to go diving again and may well go for a dive or several with the intent to meet sharks. Maybe even something to do with shark protection, surfer protection, fish guidance systems etc.

I have open water, advanced open water, rescue diver and research diver certificates, but have not gone diving for 10 years or thereabouts.

But, my level of education about sharks (or any level of lack thereof) will not change the behaviour of those sharks that might try me for lunch while I'm surfing.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Cranked wrote:
Almighty God wrote:

I thinks that's all about Protestants, cranked, not sharks. Get thee back to church.

However you have convinced me.
Kill em all.
Erase.