Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:45 am

It not an anecdotal report Steve, he was an observant witness so the facts are in dispute. I'll ask him how many people were around, the attack would have lasted a few seconds only, just one big hit. Anyone not close enough to hear the scream would have been unlikely to witness what happened.

And oh, my mate has lived in Gracetown for over thirty years and has probably surfed lefties every surfable day for that entire time.
Last edited by Cranked on Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:49 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:41 am
You're Beanpoling Cranked.
lol, I'll let other realsurfers make that call, your modus operandi is to play the man and not the ball.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:56 am

Mate, I just presented offical documentation with named eyewitnesses.

The eyewitnesss directly saw the attack and dragged him in.

these facts are not in dispute.

You came up with an unnamed anecdote.

You should stop digging, it's making you look silly.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:06 am

I’ve read Neff say sharks come back for seconds about 20% of the time. That is a lot more than rare.

I think sharks prefer marine mammals just for the food return vs energy expended equation, but they eat just about anything that has meat. Research has greatly increased estimates of the amount of food a shark in the wild needs to eat.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:21 am

steve shearer wrote:
As opposed to Steveing. Which is trying to be the adjudicating authority on everything under the sun, dismissing everyone else’s input and ignoring any ambiguity in the data. Poor comprehension skills as well as you can’t follow anything that isn’t a simple statement.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:23 am

If someone hit didn’t have the ability to paddle in, or, people didn’t help him in, it might be a lot more than 20% where the shark has another go.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:26 am

From ‘that’ video, and a great piece written by a diver (iirc on swillnut) the GWS hits, then retreats, because it doesn’t want to get injured by the prey. It will wait and watch for a bit then come back.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:28 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am
Cranked wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:21 am

Might I add a friend whitnessed the Brad Smith attack. He was in the water at the time less than 100m away. He saw Brad in the air between the sharks jaws and was on the shore when some groms dragged Brad's body in.
His description was a single bite attack and no further disturbance of the body while it was floated in the water for about 10 minutes before it was dragged back to shore by the two brave grommets.
Directly contradicted by the Official Global Shark Attack File report.
GSAF 2004.07.10

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers. Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half, knocking him into the sea. “Another large shark launched itself out of the water and got him and that was it.” said a surfer. Smith lashed out with his fists to try to keep the sharks at bay as they came at him repeatedly.
Surfer Cameron Rowe, a 16-year-old who witnessed the attack, said: “These [sharks] were massive. When the first one came up a bit I could see its fin and it was almost a yard high. When it came out of the water with Brad still fighting it, I could see its body was about the width of a car and its open jaws were as wide as a man's arm. What happened then just ended up in a terrible feeding frenzy. It was awful.”
One of Smith's friends, 17-year-old Mitch Campbell, said: ‘It was the worst thing I have seen. There was so much confusion out there it was impossible to tell which shark was attacking, but they kept coming at him time and time again. You could see Brad trying to whack at them to keep them away.”
But after just 45 seconds Smith disappeared beneath the surface. Department of Fisheries spokeswoman Jenny Hodder said: “One shark bit the board and knocked him into the water. The other shark attacked.” Another marine expert, Mike Roennfeldt, said he was surprised at the nature of the ambush-style attack, “Generally sharks are solo hunters,” he said. “It's unusual  unheard of, in fact  for one Great White to knock a guy off his surfboard and then for another to attack, which seems to have happened here.”

Rowe and Campbell ran over the reef and plunged into the water to assist in pulling Smith to shore.
INJURY: Fatal. The surfer suffered
extensive injuries to his torso, and a
large bite to his leg. He suffered
“massive injuries to pelvis and abdomen”, according to a St. Johns Ambulance spokesperson. “We will be giving a report of the investigation to the coroner in Bunbury,” said a police spokesperson.

Brad Smith was bitten in half after multiple bites.
More contradictions:

"Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half".

My mate clearly told me the attack occurred about 15 minutes after the other three surfers paddled in, not while the other surfers were still in the water. If they were still in the water you would have heard their horrific tales first hand.

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers."

Its a tiring one kilometre or more walk in deep sand, its never crowded with holiday makers.

If Brad was the only one out ay noises there is no way it was a crowded at all.

The report has some flagrant errors which put its veracity in question and hence the whole Official Global Shark Attack File reporting process.
Last edited by Cranked on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:29 am

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:21 am
steve shearer wrote:
As opposed to Steveing. Which is trying to be the adjudicating authority on everything under the sun, dismissing everyone else’s input and ignoring any ambiguity in the data. Poor comprehension skills as well as you can’t follow anything that isn’t a simple statement.
sigh, I presented the offical documentation Beans, with eyewitness accounts and expert testimony.

There ain't a great deal of ambiguity in it.

In fact, none.

Present something else other than your typical non-sequitur and I'll take it seriously, otherwise it's just more random beanpole noise.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:35 am

Cranked wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:28 am
steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am
Cranked wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:21 am

Might I add a friend whitnessed the Brad Smith attack. He was in the water at the time less than 100m away. He saw Brad in the air between the sharks jaws and was on the shore when some groms dragged Brad's body in.
His description was a single bite attack and no further disturbance of the body while it was floated in the water for about 10 minutes before it was dragged back to shore by the two brave grommets.
Directly contradicted by the Official Global Shark Attack File report.
GSAF 2004.07.10

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers. Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half, knocking him into the sea. “Another large shark launched itself out of the water and got him and that was it.” said a surfer. Smith lashed out with his fists to try to keep the sharks at bay as they came at him repeatedly.
Surfer Cameron Rowe, a 16-year-old who witnessed the attack, said: “These [sharks] were massive. When the first one came up a bit I could see its fin and it was almost a yard high. When it came out of the water with Brad still fighting it, I could see its body was about the width of a car and its open jaws were as wide as a man's arm. What happened then just ended up in a terrible feeding frenzy. It was awful.”
One of Smith's friends, 17-year-old Mitch Campbell, said: ‘It was the worst thing I have seen. There was so much confusion out there it was impossible to tell which shark was attacking, but they kept coming at him time and time again. You could see Brad trying to whack at them to keep them away.”
But after just 45 seconds Smith disappeared beneath the surface. Department of Fisheries spokeswoman Jenny Hodder said: “One shark bit the board and knocked him into the water. The other shark attacked.” Another marine expert, Mike Roennfeldt, said he was surprised at the nature of the ambush-style attack, “Generally sharks are solo hunters,” he said. “It's unusual  unheard of, in fact  for one Great White to knock a guy off his surfboard and then for another to attack, which seems to have happened here.”

Rowe and Campbell ran over the reef and plunged into the water to assist in pulling Smith to shore.
INJURY: Fatal. The surfer suffered
extensive injuries to his torso, and a
large bite to his leg. He suffered
“massive injuries to pelvis and abdomen”, according to a St. Johns Ambulance spokesperson. “We will be giving a report of the investigation to the coroner in Bunbury,” said a police spokesperson.

Brad Smith was bitten in half after multiple bites.
More contradictions:

"Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half".

My mate clearly told me the attack occurred about 15 minutes after the other three surfers paddled in, not while the other surfers were still in the water. If they were still in the water you would have heard their horrific tales first hand.

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers."

Its a tiring one kilometre or more walk in deep sand, its never crowded with holiday makers.

If Brad was the only one out ay noises there is no way it was a crowded at all.

The report has some flagrant errors which put its veracity in question and hence the whole Official Global Shark Attack File reporting process.

Take it up with the offical documentation Cranked.

Otherwise the eyewitness testimony stands.

It also fits with multiple other accounts of shark attacks where there are more than one bite and attack attempts.

I've been to Lefties at least 50 times, there are often heaps of people there.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:39 am

I can give you my mates phone number if you like and you can give him a call. I think you would get on well with him.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:41 am

probs not mate.

There's enough documented evidence out there already.

maybe he might want to contact the Coroner if he wishes to correct the record?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:45 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:35 am
I've been to Lefties at least 50 times, there are often heaps of people there.
And only one person out at Noises?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:56 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:29 am
Beanpole wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:21 am
steve shearer wrote:
sigh, I presented the offical documentation Beans, with eyewitness accounts and expert testimony.

There ain't a great deal of ambiguity in it.

In fact, none.

Present something else other than your typical non-sequitur and I'll take it seriously, otherwise it's just more random beanpole noise.
Same old, same old. You choose data to pump up your argument. Fair enough but you then try to state flatly that this is the only data and anything that contradicts it is someone else’s misinformed opinion. This little episode is a classic example. Getting back to your original assertion that there were multiple recorded episodes of sharks eating people in Australia. You have still only shown one recorded episode. Plus the one above which doesn’t really fit the bill. As Cranky said you play the man not the ball.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 pm

Sorry Beans, you got that arse about (again).

The argument followed the data, not the other way around.
Yes it is the only data.
It's the offical record.

I put up offical documentation, you put up the typical Beanpole blather.

Come up with something else, some real data otherwise it's more noise.

But you won't because you can't.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm

Official shark attack File report for Jevon Wright.

Fatal, body never recovered.

At around 10h30, Mr. Chapman saw Jevan getting changed to go surfing. When he returned at about 11h40, Mr. Chapman saw that Jevan was still surfing so he and two other men, Craig “Nugget” Pringle and Kym Castley, paddled out to join him. At about 12h45, Chapman, Castley and Jevan decided to return to shore. Castley caught the first wave in toward the cliffs, and Chapman saw that the seal followed him in. Jevan caught the next wave and was almost to the cliff face [where surfers enter and leave the water] when he disappeared.

“I was scanning the water and couldn’t see him anywhere and I turned to Nugget and asked if he could see Jevan,” said Chapman. “Nugget couldn’t see him either. The sea at the time was flat and a short time later a wave came and lifted us both up and I could see the back tail of the shark sticking out about two feet out of the water. I could also see quite a bit of the length of the body of the shark’s tail, and Jevan’s board was inside the shark and the board looked quite small. ... I saw Jevan’s helmet and his right arm sticking out of the shark’s mouth as he was being pushed under the water. ... When the next wave lifted us up again the shark was still there, with its tail sticking out of the water, thrashing from side to side. Jevan must have still been attached to his leg rope because the board was still right alongside the shark.”
Chapman and Pringle paddled their boards into the rocks and stood on a partly submerged reef about 10 metres seaward from the spot where Jevan disappeared. Unable to accept what they had seen, one of them yelled to people up on the sandstone cliff, “Where’s Jevan?” Then half of Jevan’s surfboard popped to the surface and started floating out on the rip current. The two surfers paddled out, recovered the portion of Jevan’s board, and raised the alarm.
The surfer’s body was not recovered.

multiple interviews with witnesses; Inquest taken on behalf of our Sovereign Lady the Queen at Adelaide in the State of South Australia, on the 2nd and 22nd days of February, 2001, before Wayne Cromwell Chivell, a Coroner for the said State, concerning the disappearance of Jevan Wright, aged 17 years, late of 26 Sinclair Street, Port Lincoln.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:11 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:01 pm
Sorry Beans, you got that arse about (again).

The argument followed the data, not the other way around.
Yes it is the only data.
It's the offical record.

I put up offical documentation, you put up the typical Beanpole blather.

Come up with something else, some real data otherwise it's more noise.

But you won't because you can't.
I’m not trying to make the point. You are. I’m just holding you to the standard of proof that you hold others to. So that’s three accounts now. You were just sloppy making an assertion without rigorous examples.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?