Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Thud
Duke Status

Re: Nth NSW sharks. Can they p!ss off already?

Post by Thud » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:50 pm

Yeh, saw it. Brutal. Hopefully he died super quick after it took his legs.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:56 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:11 pm
Daryl McPhee is just slightly less clueless.
He does good science but doesn't do great media.

He gets asked for comment outside his specialty, which he should decline to provide.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:21 am

Dr Pepin-Neff said deaths from shark attacks more commonly result from blood loss, over the injuries survived from multiple bites.

“What’s exceptionally rare is for a shark to bite a human and then to bite them again,” he said.

Neff gets pwned by the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ook-sydney
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:26 am

Well this shark bit and ate. Rare then.

Maybe off course and away from usual food source.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:40 am

no.

White shark habitat is inshore coastal, and trans oceanic-wide range of food sources.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:48 am

I'm waiting for the entitled anti-shark elitists to recommend culling sharks to appease their fear and egos.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:59 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:21 am
Dr Pepin-Neff said deaths from shark attacks more commonly result from blood loss, over the injuries survived from multiple bites.

“What’s exceptionally rare is for a shark to bite a human and then to bite them again,” he said.

Neff gets pwned by the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ook-sydney
Yes, they didn’t eat them though did they. Apart from the crims arm that the shark was fed. Not saying sharks have never eaten people.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:18 am

Beany you never say anything.

You just waffle on endlessly.

Which is fine.

it would be remarkable one day if you didn't weigh in with your typical non-sequitur.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:21 am

Steve there are at least 100 hundred accounts of white pointer deaths in Australian waters and the vast majority are not eaten. You've given one in detail, and have many more to go.

Might I add a friend whitnessed the Brad Smith attack. He was in the water at the time less than 100m away. He saw Brad in the air between the sharks jaws and was on the shore when some groms dragged Brad's body in.
His description was a single bite attack and no further disturbance of the body while it was floated in the water for about 10 minutes before it was dragged back to shore by the two brave grommets.

If great whites were interested in humans as a food source there would be many more deaths. Humans would be easy prey as they congregate in their hundreds at beaches. They are unbelievably easy to kill yet this happens extremely rarely. Instead the adults follow whale migrations for thousands of kilometres expendeding incredible amounts of energy.

Why? Because their blubber is an amazingly concentrated food source. Humans are mainly bone with very few calories because they are land based and need rigidity to support their weight out of the water. White pointers do not even have the teeth to crunch the bones.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am

Cranked wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:21 am

Might I add a friend whitnessed the Brad Smith attack. He was in the water at the time less than 100m away. He saw Brad in the air between the sharks jaws and was on the shore when some groms dragged Brad's body in.
His description was a single bite attack and no further disturbance of the body while it was floated in the water for about 10 minutes before it was dragged back to shore by the two brave grommets.
Directly contradicted by the Official Global Shark Attack File report.
GSAF 2004.07.10

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers. Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half, knocking him into the sea. “Another large shark launched itself out of the water and got him and that was it.” said a surfer. Smith lashed out with his fists to try to keep the sharks at bay as they came at him repeatedly.
Surfer Cameron Rowe, a 16-year-old who witnessed the attack, said: “These [sharks] were massive. When the first one came up a bit I could see its fin and it was almost a yard high. When it came out of the water with Brad still fighting it, I could see its body was about the width of a car and its open jaws were as wide as a man's arm. What happened then just ended up in a terrible feeding frenzy. It was awful.”
One of Smith's friends, 17-year-old Mitch Campbell, said: ‘It was the worst thing I have seen. There was so much confusion out there it was impossible to tell which shark was attacking, but they kept coming at him time and time again. You could see Brad trying to whack at them to keep them away.”
But after just 45 seconds Smith disappeared beneath the surface. Department of Fisheries spokeswoman Jenny Hodder said: “One shark bit the board and knocked him into the water. The other shark attacked.” Another marine expert, Mike Roennfeldt, said he was surprised at the nature of the ambush-style attack, “Generally sharks are solo hunters,” he said. “It's unusual  unheard of, in fact  for one Great White to knock a guy off his surfboard and then for another to attack, which seems to have happened here.”
Rowe and Campbell ran over the reef and plunged into the water to assist in pulling Smith to shore.
INJURY: Fatal. The surfer suffered
extensive injuries to his torso, and a
large bite to his leg. He suffered
“massive injuries to pelvis and abdomen”, according to a St. Johns Ambulance spokesperson. “We will be giving a report of the investigation to the coroner in Bunbury,” said a police spokesperson.

Brad Smith was bitten in half after multiple bites.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am

Cranked wrote:

If great whites were interested in humans as a food source there would be many more deaths.
I didn't say white sharks were interested in humans as a food source.

I said the evidence supports full and partial consumption of humans in a not insignificant proportion of attacks.
I then supplied official evidence to support that position.

This fits the ecological niche of white sharks as opportunistic, apex, ambush predators.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:53 am

Similar to other large human-carnivore interactions eg Tigers, lions, crocodiles.

We are obviously not a food source, but are occasionally eaten.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 am

Read the stories about the USS Indianapolis.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:20 am

If a shark bites a human, hunt the fucker down and kill it.

That is all
Erase.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 am
Cranked wrote:

Directly contradicted by the Official Global Shark Attack File report.
GSAF 2004.07.10

"The tragedy occurred in front of crowds of surfers and holidaymakers. Brad Smith was surfing with a mate and three other people when a large shark snapped his board in half, knocking him into the sea. “Another large shark launched itself out of the water and got him and that was it.” said a surfer. Smith lashed out with his fists to try to keep the sharks at bay as they came at him repeatedly.
Surfer Cameron Rowe, a 16-year-old who witnessed the attack, said: “These [sharks] were massive. When the first one came up a bit I could see its fin and it was almost a yard high. When it came out of the water with Brad still fighting it, I could see its body was about the width of a car and its open jaws were as wide as a man's arm. What happened then just ended up in a terrible feeding frenzy. It was awful.”
One of Smith's friends, 17-year-old Mitch Campbell, said: ‘It was the worst thing I have seen. There was so much confusion out there it was impossible to tell which shark was attacking, but they kept coming at him time and time again. You could see Brad trying to whack at them to keep them away.”
But after just 45 seconds Smith disappeared beneath the surface. Department of Fisheries spokeswoman Jenny Hodder said: “One shark bit the board and knocked him into the water. The other shark attacked.” Another marine expert, Mike Roennfeldt, said he was surprised at the nature of the ambush-style attack, “Generally sharks are solo hunters,” he said. “It's unusual  unheard of, in fact  for one Great White to knock a guy off his surfboard and then for another to attack, which seems to have happened here.”
Rowe and Campbell ran over the reef and plunged into the water to assist in pulling Smith to shore.
INJURY: Fatal. The surfer suffered
extensive injuries to his torso, and a
large bite to his leg. He suffered
“massive injuries to pelvis and abdomen”, according to a St. Johns Ambulance spokesperson. “We will be giving a report of the investigation to the coroner in Bunbury,” said a police spokesperson.

Brad Smith was bitten in half after multiple bites.
As I said my mate was there the whole time and in the water nearby when the shark attacked. He was first out as usual, Brad and two others paddled to Noises when Lefties got more crowded, the other two paddled in and Brad was attacked shortly after.

He's an observant and reliable sort of guy. I'll take his story: he heard a scream, the shark was at 45 degrees, three quarters out of the water, Brad was sideways in the great white jaws hammering on its snout, huge splash when it landed, no movement while he floated after the attack, still in one piece when dragged ashore but very nearly in two pieces. No second shark.

He was not interviewed.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:36 am

Sorry mate, but I'll take the offical report with named witnesses who were on the scene and interviewed, over your unnamed anecdotal report.

Brad Smiths attack and death has been well documented.

The facts are not in dispute.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:38 am

And oh, he emphasised the eerie and complete stillness after the shark and Brad fell back into the water.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:41 am

You're Beanpoling Cranked.