Snowdonia Wavegarden

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Re: Snowdonia Wavegarden

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 pm

someone spotted what turned out to be a chokito on the bottom

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:09 pm

I think this whole wave pool foolishness is a bigger misreading of the nature of surfing than is pro surfing, indeed a bigger misreading than anything else in my experience of surf culture.

what el rancho has suddenly connected with is the whole underlying point of it, a connection with the pulse of energy through wind on the ocean surface. That sense of ocean surface energy is what helped Polynesian people to cross the Pacific in the first place. it's incomparably vaster than anything humans have managed to conjure up and it will outlast anything we manage to do to the planet while we're here. To be able to tap it just for a little bit is to feel the edge of the energies that drive the Universe. That takes work and effort and commitment and skill. You will not find it in a pool. What you will find in a pool is a hoax version of it and a bunch of people trying to charge you money for an embarrassing simulacrum of the power you can find with your own personal effort, free of any charge other than that exacted upon you by the demands of an intersection with the world as it is.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 pm

so honestly, if you want to do that, pay someone for the opportunity to ride something like that, then go right ahead. I'm pretty sure you will find it wanting something greater than size.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:51 pm

To me the attraction of a wavepool would be purely a training tool when unable to surf in the ocean, replicate a movement/manoeuvre in a controlled environment repetitively and it would most definitely improve your skills in the ocean. The thing a mechanical wave is unable to do is replicate the variables that the ocean and nature can throw at you things like swell period, direction, wind, current and tide and an ability to handle and use these conditions in the surf cannot be taught in an artificial environment.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:17 am

all the wavepools i've seen look like they'd be fun with a handplane.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 am

Or a boogie board?
Erase.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:43 am

Or a black and white stripped board to repel large and dangerous carp.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:54 pm

el rancho wrote:
It was then I thought to myself, we've got a pack of 'surfers', which used to mean people who completely and definitively cared about the ocean and the environment, we've got a bunch of these people who want to burn an absolute colossal fuckload of energy and fossil fuel in order to create a really third rate version of something we get totally for free.
What's you view on people who burn an absolute colossal fuckload of energy and fossil fuel flying to indo for boat trips?

If these things were solar powered I'd be into it. I have to live in Melbourne for work, don't get out to the coast that often. I'd see something like this as being awesome for training in between surfs in the actual ocean.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm

How much power does a wave pool consume? Could this sort of venture completely offset its usage by generating it's own electricity via wind or solar? Probably not but it would be a start.

The wave does not seem to be too powerful after watching a video on the redbull site. Looks to be a bit like a clean short period swell wonder if Webbers design will end up being more than a hollower version of this? For a wave pool to be able to replicate a heavy long period groundswell a lot more water would need to be displaced within a deeper pool with a reasonably steep gradient onto a bank. Wouldn't be impossible but would be a lot more expensive to produce and would take a lot of time to get the formula correct.

I would like to see a wavepool company try and replicate a proper heavy ocean wave rather than a novelty boat wake wave.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm gonna be in Dubai for a couple of days next month. Was thinking of giving the wavepool there a go. This thread is making me think twice about it though. Does anyone have an idea how it compares to Snowdonia?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:47 pm

jimmy wrote:I'm gonna be in Dubai for a couple of days next month. Was thinking of giving the wavepool there a go. This thread is making me think twice about it though. Does anyone have an idea how it compares to Snowdonia?

do it. on a firewire potato, in speedos and upload photos to facey in an album titled, "shooting the curl, dubai style."

seriously though, you may as well surf it if you're out there.
Kunji wrote:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 am

Top of the page so it must be good advice.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:25 am

You know it
Kunji wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 am

I watched the latest vimeo after they drained 6 million litres and repaired it. It actually looks even more disappointing than I thought.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

is it still that delightful hue of poo brown?
Kunji wrote:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:37 am

yeah but you can see the guy really having to nurse his backhand top turns because of how weak it is.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 am

OK just on this score

can someone tell me how Red Bull keeps getting a free pass on stuff?

like they just unleashed a motorbike on Teahupoo, and nobody even blinked.

and now their proposed event at this wave garden is about the only thing Snowdonia has to pin anything on at all.

is it just that they have now funded so much crazy human behaviour that everyone just steps aside and goes, "OK, Red Bull! Do your thing!" regardless of how fcuken stupid it is?

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:31 am

Red Bull is the Donald Trump of surf sponsorship