Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Post by alakaboo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Nice cross post

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm

bit weird though with the capitals

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:34 pm

well if someone deserves a good kick in the heart, there should be shouting involved too
Erase.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 pm

HE MEANS IT! Followed by a combined book/author burning. :twisted:

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Mr Mike is losing it.
How bout you just give up surfing mate if you're this concerned.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Sorry for the delay, bomby
bomboraa wrote:
swvic wrote:@ a'boo Didn't know that, but not surprising. Techniques have advanced, but I doubt it will ever advance far enough for me to accept the results. There's a big name prof here who published in either Science or Nature about the movement or marine turtles. n equalled 1. Alfred Deakin Fellow, top of his game. Since he's been here I've wanted to have a discussion, but I'm at least smart enough to know it won't be well received
Why would a little yellow "dumb" tag alter a fishes behaviour? They are about 10cm long and as thin as spaghetti. Placed in the shoulder. I've tagged fish as part of the NSW gamefish tagging program and even had a 92cm kingish I caught off North Head recaptured 188 days later at Long Reef, exactly where you'd expect a big kingie to hang out, and where other big kings were located at the time. It had grown 5cm in the period between tagging and recapture.
You're seemingly comparing how a spag tag would be in your shoulder to how it may affect the fish. For you, a minor discomfort perhaps, but a fish is in water which is much more viscous than air. Maybe the tag continually oscillating as the fish moves might have an effect? Maybe it even has a profound effect on the lateral line - a very important sensory organ in fish? Maybe it's so fcuking annoying that the fish behaves vastly differently than how it otherwise might. Don't really know because we can't compare it to an untagged fish

Perhaps that tag also increases the chance of becoming prey to another species (spag tags are usually brightly coloured) or even reduces the predatory capacity of the fish, ie. potential prey item sees the fish a bit sooner and makes a clean getaway? Don't really know because we can't compare it to an untagged fish

Re the 92 cm king you tagged; Maybe the average growth in that 188 days of the other fish in its year class was 10 cm and they were all still at North Head or perhaps even somewhere else other than Long Reef? We don't really know because we can't compare it to an untagged fish
bomboraa wrote:I've also caught a rat king which had been tagged, Saw it among a school of rats before it took the lure and it was behaving exactly as the others where. As long as you place the tag in the right area and look after the fish while quickly tagging, they are cool, Can't see how a tiny tag would affect behaviour as I've seen fish with fins missing, great chunks out of them after encounters with predators etc behaving normally. Have also seen the same fish been re-caught 10 minutes apart so if being caught, brought aboard and released be so traumatic why would they immediately start feeding again?
Saw the rat king among a school of rats before it took the lure? Interesting. See my above point. And maybe it took the lure because it was the keenest for food because the tag had cost it more than one meal? With due respect to your obvious experience, I doubt humans can determine what 'normal' behaviour really is. I'll give you that though, but your observations are of a mere snapshot in the life of a fish. As for a fish being recaught 10 minutes following release, well I don't really know. Maybe it's just an inherent instinct to eat? Same for fish with bits missing after encounters with predators
Have also been part of fisheries scientist's smart electronic tagging of kingfish. Watching the scientist at work was fascinating. The tiny electronic beacon is inserted in a little slit in the belly cavity and the slit sewn up and the fish given a shot of antibiotics. From the results the tagged kings are travelling and behaving as a big kingie would be expected.
Watching scientists at work sure can be fascinating. After I thought I was efficient at dissecting gill, liver and muscle tissue, I came across a guy at MAFRI. He could do 2 fish to my one AND he'd get the otoliths. Back to the point; you say that tagged kings are travelling and behaving as a big kingie would be expected. How do you determine an expectation of what a big kingie would do? We don't really know because we can't compare it to an untagged fish

And that's not all of my reservations
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

bomboraa
regular

Post by bomboraa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Interesting observations Swvic.
Enjoyed them.
I can only compare the behaviour observed of tagged fish with that of other fish over 40 years of fishing, and to my untrained eye they don't obviously act differently. Of course what I see is a fraction of their lives.
And yep who knows if the king I tagged would not have grown more without a tag in it's shoulder. But the growth rates of tagged fish do seem to match growth rates observed though other methods.
We do place the tag away from its lateral line for the reasons you write. As far as the tiny yellow dumb tags put in kings at least, I doubt they make the fish more obvious to prey, meaning they have been put at a disadvantage at least in the case of kingfish: kings have bright yellow fins and a slash of yellow down their flanks! A tiny sliver more of yellow would not seem to make a difference, at least to a human eye of course. Plus the tags usually become quite dull quickly.
You've got me thinking though and I'll be asking the questions you raise when next out with a boffin.