Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

aaarating
regular

Re: Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Post by aaarating » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:17 am

What's the deal with the sharknado going down on the far nc? It's winter time and I've always felt less concerned when surfing at this time than on an overcast February afternoon? Has someone been selling 4/3 steamers to these beasties?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 am

I can still feel super warm currents in the water. Have done all winter.

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:22 am

Not just catching a sneaky downstream piss from the crowd?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am

steve shearer wrote:pretty spooked. Wife banned her from surfing yesterday, which turned out to somewhat prescient considering the amount of sightings.

Yeah, I can imagine. I have always kinda loved the idea of the times I might share surfing with my kids but lately I am wondering if my protective instinct might take the fun out of it a bit. Rational or irrational, it's hard to ignore it.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 am

Well it's not irrational here. The risk is real.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 am

Well yes of course, it seems that way.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 am

steve shearer wrote:
MrMik wrote:
steve shearer wrote:My daughter and her friends got buzzed by a big shark Fri. All Ballina beaches closed today after multiple GWS sightings.
What do you mean with getting buzzed by a shark?

Passed them at close range. They all saw it. people on the beach saw it.
Wow, you must be nervous to say the least.
I managed to get my son on his board for the first time in at least half a year this weekend.

So today I decided to have a look at shark repellents and found Nicks little brother endorsing the Sharkshield. I wonder if that has anything to do with Nicks request to leave the shark stuff out of the Ask Carroll thread.

Anyhow, I ordered the Freedom7 Sharkshield. The Surf version is sold out, I wonder why....

The specs for Freedom7 and Surf seem to be the same, not sure why Freedom7 costs more. I hope this was not a mistake. I think I prefer the gizmo's attached to my leg, rather than the surfboard, but maybe that causes entanglement?
Can anyone here explain the differences between these devices from personal testing?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 am

And as soon as the money is spent, it becomes clear what the differemce must be: The Freedom7 is used with feet or whole body under water. The Surf7 allows operation with feet out of the water. Probably different placement or construction of one of the electrodes.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 pm

steve shearer wrote:Well it's not irrational here. The risk is real.
I don't think anyone's suggesting the risk isn't real. There's also a risk of your children getting hit crossing the road tomorrow but do we stop them doing that. There's even a much larger risk of them dying in a car accident once they get their licence and they get into a car with a group of other young people. Do we stop them doing that?

If you're child enjoys doing something and they get real life pleasure out of it why should we stop them?

But in saying all of the above there's not a chance in hell I'm going to be able to get my eldest son to surf now after he's watched that Mick Fanning attack numerous times. I'm not going to force my son to do it but for me it's a huge loss that I'll probably never surf with my son.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:48 pm

My son couldn't give a fcuk about surfing and it has got nothing to do with sharks. Basically anything I steer him towards he pushes back in the opposite direction & so I figured a long time ago that it was never going to be a father/son activity in my house.

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Karlos wrote:My son couldn't give a fcuk about surfing and it has got nothing to do with sharks. Basically anything I steer him towards he pushes back in the opposite direction & so I figured a long time ago that it was never going to be a father/son activity in my house.
So you offer the young fella some beer, dope, smack, crack, eccies and meth. Steer him away from drugs for life.

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 pm

rmb wrote:
Karlos wrote:My son couldn't give a fcuk about surfing and it has got nothing to do with sharks. Basically anything I steer him towards he pushes back in the opposite direction & so I figured a long time ago that it was never going to be a father/son activity in my house.
So you offer the young fella some beer, dope, smack, crack, eccies and meth. Steer him away from drugs for life.

Send him down to me. He'll be knocking on peoples' doors preaching religion before you know it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Not that simple. Little fcuker would see right through it. Soccer fanatic and that was after three years of me coaching his rugby team. And because I hate the showboating side of the round ball game he goes out of his way to do ridiculous celebrations after scoring goals. Spends as much time on his hair as Christiano Ronaldo as well.

At least he doesn't flop like a typical soccer player. Yet.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:23 am

Not stopping her Don, just a break for a little while until the frequency of sightings and encounters goes down to a more manageable level.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 am

Have you applied the same strategy to yourself? Your're probably as important to her/them than she/they are to you
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:50 am

The Mighty Sunbird wrote:Just because sharks can't talk to us doesn't mean that they can't speak to each other.
Maybe they are creating a shark caliphate.
What to do???
I think we just have to wait patiently for a word from their leader.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:52 am

And in the meantime, prepare legislation to remove citizenship from any sharks who associate with this leader and his goddam shark caliphate.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:53 am

I mean it's bound to be a "he", right. What kind of crap caliphate would be led by a chick.