Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Jeffreys Bay Pro 2015

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:17 pm

steve shearer wrote:Braithy, just about everything humans do is hedonistic and unnecessary, including typing this shit on a computer. Keeping cats and dogs is unnecessary and hedonistic, ie done for our pleasure. They're predators, you're feeding them animals that have been killed every single day.
Humans have been swimming, surfing, fishing, using the ocean since time began. And they'll continue to do so.
If a dingo started roaming the streets of Currumbin taking kids out randomly, we'd shoot it. That doesn't impact on dingo numbers.

If it can be shown that a shark is setting up shop somewhere and posing a danger then I'm for tagging it, moving it on, or as a last resort taking it out.
I'm not into nets or other indiscriminate killing, even though statistically that is the only thing proven to reduce the risk.

But yeah, it's close to home. I surfed with Tadashi regularly. Don't know Matt but know plenty of people who do. I know the person who watched him turn grey and die three times on the beach while they rescuscitated him. It's traumatic for a lot of people around here. If there are things that can be done then lets investigate it.

flawed logic everywhere. i don't know where to begin.
even though statistically that is the only thing proven to reduce the risk.
that is abhorrently wrong. abc – henceforth known as the cat antagonisers – even says as much.
We have no evidence that the shark culling program proposed by the WA government will do anything to protect the public.
http://www.abc.net.au/environment/artic ... 909790.htm

But yeah, it's close to home. I surfed with Tadashi regularly.
you know what, mate. i understand, i really do. it must suck and hurt to the point it's pretty much unbearable. I'd be emotional about it too.

you're emotional. emotional people struggle to deal with, is making logical decisions. A few years ago a neuroscientist named Antonio Damasio proved this conclusively. it has something to do with a temporary form of brain damage to the part of the brain where logic resides being infiltrated by emotion. it's an actual thing. he wrote a big paper probably will win some kind of noble prize or some shit for it.

basically, emotions cloud logic, is what he said.

yell out if you wanna catch up for a coffee or beer. i'll drop everything to go hang out down there with ya.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:41 pm

I didn't say shark culling I said shark netting.

Do you understand the difference?

"Analysis of the distribution of shark attacks indicates that 171 incidents (91%) in the past two decades have occurred away from the major population centres, along the eastern coast where shark-control programs are not deployed. This may be interpreted as highlighting the efficiency of the various shark-meshing programs in reducing shark attacks, a view historically taken by the authorities managing the programs (Dudley and Cliff 1993; Queensland Government Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries 2006)"

"In KZN, the introduction of shark nets reduced the incidence of shark attack at protected beaches by over 90% (Dudley 1997). There have been only two attacks, both non-fatal, at protected beaches since 1980, a period when several measures were introduced to reduce environmental impact of the program. Two of the major initia- tives were as a direct result of a detailed comparison with the shark-control programs in Queensland and New South Wales."

There's plenty of reliable evidence that shark netting has reduced almost to zero the chance of fatal shark attack. But it comes at a high cost which is why I oppose it.

Thanks for trying to muddy the water and introduce some red herring emotional fig leaf into the argument but I'm still surfing and quite capable of having an objective look at what evidence is out there, and feeling sorry for the people who got chomped and their families.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 pm

I think the Vulcan approach to shark attack has merit however instinctively if some thing wants to kill you, you want to kill it, it's just nature and why we are here as humans. Next year release a pod of Killer Whales in the area that will clear the area and we'll get some awesome wave sharing with these clever buggers. Wonder if Dane will take up a wild card next year?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Where are we at on GWS population numbers?

The very latest science is the GWS issues Paper.
http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/ ... carcharias

"There is still no reliable estimate of the total size of the Australian white shark population
and no adequate measure of population trends or status."

"Acoustic and satellite telemetry studies indicate that temporary residency of the white shark at particular sites can vary from days to weeks. Bruce et al. (2005b) used acoustic tags and listening stations to investigate the number of days that tagged white sharks were detected within the vicinity of the Neptune Islands and at Dangerous Reef in South Australia between 2001 and 2004. Most visits at the three locations were between one and three days duration, although some individual sharks remained active in these areas for up to 90 days. Bruce & Bradford (2008, 2012) used satellite telemetry to identify periods of residency of juvenile white sharks at possible aggregation sites in central New South Wales and eastern Victoria. Some juveniles remained resident to these areas for periods up to 122 days and showed evidence of fidelity to particular regions or individual beaches."

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:04 pm

steve shearer wrote:I didn't say shark culling I said shark netting.

Do you understand the difference?
i thought you said "indiscriminate killing," and meant culling them. you said and alluded to it to before. i can't help it if you change your tact halfway through a talk.

steve shearer wrote:Thanks for trying to muddy the water and introduce some red herring emotional
you're welcome.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:07 pm

I meant indiscriminate killing in the sense that it kills alot of other marine life as well as the shark.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:I meant indiscriminate killing in the sense that it kills alot of other marine life as well as the shark.

yeah, i realise this now.

you need a hug? i'll drive down the fucken coast and give you three.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 pm

:-D-:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:17 pm

I've lost confidence in my favourite board.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm

yum yum yellow....

regular

Post by 8 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Is that missing a fin or just perfect angle for invisibility?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 pm

knocked out a runner on the rocks.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:32 pm

did you mge to grab the fin? If so fix it yourself or repairman? looks like a clean break.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:38 pm

i agree. no wonder you're twitching out.

yum yum yellow.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:43 pm

yeah I got the fin put back in by a local shaper who emigrated out here from Wales.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:44 pm

sweet and lucky to catch the fin...Mick Fanning lucky.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:50 pm

the fin was hanging by a thread of glass. I snapped it off and caught waves with it between my teeth.

Board was actually a lot of fun to ride minus that one side fin.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:55 pm

asymmetrical?

your new name is yum-yum yellow from henceforth.
Kunji wrote: