What boards DID you take to Indo?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

What boards DID you take to Indo?

Post by JET01 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Was going to put this in the travel section. The first half of this post belongs in the travel section, but the rest right here in the general section.

Almost locked in for 28Apr-10may 2016. MV Pelagic in the Mentawais.

Anyone done this boat before?

Flying from sydney. Any suggestions on airline?

Now the important part.

What boards to take? Any idea on airline length restrictions? I'm hoping to take a 7'7 with me (I managed to get it to hawaii and back without any dramas).

I normally surf:
6'1 PCC 1970 single fin (although sentimental value my cause me to leave this one at home)
6'4 x19 5/8 x 2 5/8 MORE quadfather (tri/quad)
6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 Miller Waterskate
7'7 x 22 x 2 9/10 PCC single fin

I've got a couple of rabbidge semi guns lying around that I've been trying sell for a while. Might end up taking them 6'8 x 19 3/4 and 7' x 19 1/2.

Anything bigger than a solid 6ft and I'll more than likely be a spectator and relax with a few bintangs or go fishing for dinner.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

rmb
barnacle

Re: What boards DID you take to Indo?

Post by rmb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Garuda. Call the charter have an honest discussion on what you surf to what would suit for the region.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:58 pm

i did 2 weeks in mentawais about 10 years ago. it was anywhere between 4 - 8 foot (head and 1/2 high to double and a 1/2 overhead).

i took a 6'5 rounded pin as well as a 6'9 which was a slightly more pin-tailed board. (personally) i wouldn't recommend going too long with your boards. i surfed the 6'5 about 90% of the time and it was great. i probably could've even gone shorter at around 6'2 or 6'3.

the 6'9 felt like it had way too much rail for most of the waves so i didn't bother with it much. though i did take it out couple of times at thunders and scarecrows (which are more down-the-line waves) at 6-8 foot, where the length came in handy, allowing you to drive hard and project around sections, drawing your turns out more.

a good high performance board or a step-up rounded pin would do fine. you need a refined board that can handle speed and hollow waves. avoid too much volume, as you'll want to be able to put it on rail, hard.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:13 am

Take two of your normal boards and a step up. Highly likely you will snap one of them.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:13 am

Sweet!

Sounds like due to the waves being so perfect I could probably surf anything.

Might not bother with the new board.

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Good onya mate,

Did boat trip Mentawis June 2012, for 12 days. Going again in September this year, hopefully further north, wind / swell depending on a different boat too.

Flew with Malaisya to KL and then Air Asia to Padang. Malaisya flies boards fro free, Air Asia charged me $40 bucks.

Took wrong boards, too long 6'10.. and a fishy / hybrid 6'4.

I did see that 6'8 was like the maximum length people ... older guys..were using to get some set waves. Saw a mate getting tons of waves on his 6'8 at 4 foot Rifles , set rail, travel in the tube. Bigger board can also help as crowd controller and also when you a very tired you can rely on extra buoyancy and paddle power.

Depending on swell and wind, some deeper water spots will come to life, so having a bit of rail can help.

Having had the experience, I am taking a 6'3, fairly curvy board (I normally ride a 6'1 here at home), a 6'5 pin tail, not too aggressive and a 6'8. Chances are I wont surf the 6'8, but if I get some assholes that don't like to share waves, I will take my 6'8 and sit out the back for the sets. I did it at some of the most crowded spots: Rifles and Bank Vaults / Nipussi.

Good luck with the trip mate and try to check the forecast close to date so you can adjust quiver,

cheers

J

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Great trip Jet. Come on mate sounds like new new 6'5 Tri with a little bit of nose rocker is in your future, go on mate you know you want to.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:51 pm

I went Garuda to Jakarta then Padang , surfboards flew free but required a terminal carry through transit no automatic link up of luggage.
You do get to fly over Anak Krakatau, son of Krakatoa! That was a plus for me!!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Davros wrote:Great trip Jet. Come on mate sounds like new new 6'5 Tri with a little bit of nose rocker is in your future, go on mate you know you want to.
Just started a new thread in the alternative section with my thoughts on new stick.

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:17 pm

20 years ago on first visit I took a 7'0 and a 6'5 to Indo. Way over gunned on the 7. Last Gland visit there were guys shredding on 5'8 Hyptos at Moneys and Speedies in solid 8ft. Changed my perspective. I'm 5'9 and 42. Now I ride nothing more than 1 inch either side of my height. Best advice I have, which probably doesn't mean much, is surf your regular board and something an inch or 2 longer, same shape, with a more volume and a few fin sets to suit the waves. Really it will stroke you into pretty much anything Indo throws at you other than max days when lots of guys will sit out regardless. I'm a big believer that you're better off on what you know and that given a bit of ground work you can ride a good refined board throughout lots of size ranges so you only need a 2 board quiver.

Still I would love to take my 80s twinny over to some long spinning lefts!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 pm

I'll dissent. I'll always take a 7ftplus board for big surf there. Especially G-land.

I'd take an 8ft'er for Outsider Corner.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:28 pm

I've got a 7'6 wheelie bag that should take 3 boards. Hoping it's not going to be too long.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 pm

steve shearer wrote:I'll dissent. I'll always take a 7ftplus board for big surf there. Especially G-land.

I'd take an 8ft'er for Outsider Corner.
he's going to mentawais but.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:02 am

true. And I've never been. But I see an awful lot of footy of guys being caught inside at 6-8ft Rifles or Kanduis.
Fcuk that noise. Sit out there on a 7'0" pintail and spear them in the throat.
Also guys I know like Thornton Fallander who've been going to Indo forever always take a 7'0" at least for that reason.

Depends what waves you want to ride I guess. I hate being undergunned and running away from sets when it's pumping.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 am

I took a 7 fter and caught the biggest wave of my life.

Also got cut to f$ckn pieces.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:52 am

steve shearer wrote:true. And I've never been. But I see an awful lot of footy of guys being caught inside at 6-8ft Rifles or Kanduis.
Fcuk that noise. Sit out there on a 7'0" pintail and spear them in the throat.
Also guys I know like Thornton Fallander who've been going to Indo forever always take a 7'0" at least for that reason.

Depends what waves you want to ride I guess. I hate being undergunned and running away from sets when it's pumping.
Agreed. At thunders and eBay I also took out an old beat up banks 7'0 pintail and it went well for all those reasons . Basically it covered ground and afforded you more control of the situation rather than struggling to keep up.

But most of the waves I surfed in the ments felt much better suited to a shorter rail line. Hollow trees and macaronis by way of specific example.

Haven't surfed outside Uluwatu or any of those down the line breaks over there. But if I did, I'd make fkn sure I had some real rail length . An eight footer at least if it was proper big.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:30 am

Seven foot is my regular ride these days for good waves. A step down from what I take out in crowds over here. Took a 6'6" the time before last that was just a dog of a board.
7' Rabbidge the time before that which I wish I hadn't sold.
First time I surfed over there in 1982 was on a 7' Dick Harvey pintail one of the guys from Uluwatu Clothing lent me. Next time a 6'4" Maddog then a 6'4"Wayne Deane.
Been thinking about getting a new Dick Harvey. He makes some sweet looking boards.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:49 pm

One day we pulled up to Telescopes and there were 8 boats parked up. Other times we surfed lesser known waves just 5 of us. If the renowned breaks are on they will be busy.